OURS
American Idol - Printable Version

+- OURS (http://killtheband.createmybb.com)
+-- Forum: (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: American Idol (/showthread.php?tid=1253)

American Idol - Trathena - 03-04-2009 06:25 PM

Who's watching it?

Could Adam be more emo?

Could the new girl be more "not needed"?

[whoa! I'm even offended by what I wrote here! deleted]

I'm a week behind, so I can't follow up on this thread until I catch up because I don't want spoilers.

Edited: Sorry about that, everyone.

RE: American Idol - lifer_refil - 03-04-2009 06:47 PM

I never, ever (Ever! Seriously.) watched American Idol before this season. Somehow I caught one of those audition episodes and then tuned in for the first two days of the actual competition. I was kind of fond of the girl that seemed to annoy everyone and once she got the boot I was said "fuck this" and stopped it there before I got hooked. :)

RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 03-04-2009 07:16 PM

Lifer, I'm with you. I had never really watched Idol so intently until last season - I had watched it off and on and then last year David Cook came onto Idol and stole my heart. So this year I'm watching it and am pretty pleased with who they brought back for the wild card round and am also pretty pleased who the 9 are that have been voted in...

So we'll see :)

RE: American Idol - lifer_refil - 03-04-2009 10:02 PM

Let me know if the annoying girl, Tatiana Del Toro, makes it onto the show, then I'll consider watching.

RE: American Idol - razzledazzle - 03-05-2009 09:35 AM

hahaha i have totally been watching, i won't deny it...

**SPOILER ALERT, TRATHENA**
Lifer - Tatiana Del Toro is performing tonight, it's sure to be annoying as hell. make sure you tune in! ;)

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 03-05-2009 07:50 PM

I've only watched as far as the Wild Card picks. I'm actually OK with all of them. I think that Adam, Danny, and Ricky are head and shoulders talented above anyone else.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 03-05-2009 07:53 PM

I love this dorky show and everything about it. Even Tatiana. Shine on, you batshit diamond!

*SPOILER ALERT, TRATHENA*

Anoop could sing Bobby Brown songs every week and I'd be happy. So glad that he made it through. Megan, on the other hand, totally sucks. I really wish it had been Jesse instead.

RE: American Idol - wafflestomper - 03-06-2009 09:52 AM

Batshit Diamond? haha.. sweet.

RE:  American Idol - razzledazzle - 03-06-2009 10:06 AM

hahaha...

**SPOILER ALERT, TRATHENA**

Acrobat Wrote:

I love this dorky show and everything about it. Even Tatiana. Shine on, you batshit diamond!

*SPOILER ALERT, TRATHENA*

Anoop could sing Bobby Brown songs every week and I'd be happy. So glad that he made it through. Megan, on the other hand, totally sucks. I really wish it had been Jesse instead.

i was so happy when Anoop made it through! he looked genuinely shocked when they told him he was 13!! i also gotta admit i'm loving that dude who sung Michael Jackson's Man In The Mirror...i can't remember his name right now, Kris maybe? adorable!

i don't get what the deal is with them loving Megan. she's gorgeous, but her voice is average at best. whenever they tell her she's "so relevant" i am instantly annoyed.
RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 03-06-2009 11:06 AM

I was THRILLED Anoop made it through - the look on his face was absolutely priceless and just awesome. Megan annoys the HELL out of me - I would have liked to see Jesse instead - but I do like Jasmine. Megan is pretty but I don't know - her voice is just eh.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 03-06-2009 01:20 PM

So -- the theme next week is Michael Jackson. Adam really needs to sing "Give In to Me." Danny will probably sing "Heal the World," and I will throw shit at my television when he does.

RE:  American Idol - SarahBeth - 03-06-2009 03:48 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

So -- the theme next week is Michael Jackson. Adam really needs to sing "Give In to Me." Danny will probably sing "Heal the World," and I will throw shit at my television when he does.

Oh Erin, how I love you. We'll all join you in the shit throwing at the tv when he does sing that (because you're probably right about what Danny will sing)
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 03-09-2009 01:10 PM

This is going to be such a fucking trainwreck. I can't wait.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 03-10-2009 04:56 PM

I know I'm late in this, but . . .

Why the hell was tattoo girl chosen? I'd have preferred Tatiana to her, as much as I hate her.

Anoop is great. Love him. But he needs to work a bit harder and control his voice if he plans to be competitive with Adam and Danny.

I liked Ricky better than Geraud (sp?), but he made a stupid, stupid choice in song and Geraud (sp?) was just brilliant.

I'm about a week behind on this show, clearly.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 03-11-2009 06:48 AM

Well, that was interesting. More often boring that trainwreck-y, unfortunately. Fortunately, Megan came through for me -- her flapping her arms and going, "Caw! Caw!" at the end of her performance was easily the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen on this show. Including Sanjaya. AWESOME.

As much as I can't stand Danny, if you only listened and didn't watch his spastic white-boy dancing, he was pretty fantastic. Awesome voice.

Massive props to Allison and Alexis for picking my two favorite MJ songs. Allison was the better of the two, though, and I would have killed for Adam to have sung either of their songs. And the sound mixing totally sucked, because "Give In to Me" and "Dirty Diana" need really loud guitars and dramatic arrangments, and I could barely hear the band. When Kris was up, I think somebody forgot to plug in his guitar. I really liked him, though.

Going back to Adam -- he completely schools everybody when it comes to working a stage and his range is ridiculous, but I'm not sure I actually like the sound of his voice. I don't care at the moment, though, because he's so good-looking it makes me wish I were a gay man.

...aaaand I've overshared a little.

RE: American Idol - rb101182 - 03-11-2009 12:21 PM

Allison is awesome! Shes my favorite. I thought Alexis was awesome too and I cant believe they were so hard on her. I like Adam, but I know what you mean, his voice is kind of opera-ish and over the top, I was surprised the judges loved his performance last night as much as they did.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 03-11-2009 05:14 PM

These kids had a very difficult assignment. Michael Jackson? Damn.

The standouts for me:

Danny: “Pretty Young Thing”!  Oh my god!  There are so many better songs he could have chosen.  My husband said, “That's a good Huey Lewis spin on it.”  haha!  But the judges loved it.  Clearly, they heard something that I did not.  I love Danny, though.

I think that Paula's drunk.  As am I.

Have you ever noticed that on every show, there's a girl by a mic that shrieks like a banshee and you can hear her above everyone else?  It's kind of like an Ours bootleg.

Jasmine: I know she's probably here because of demographics, but I'm glad she's here.  I don't think she'll win, but I enjoy her a heck of a lot better than Lil.

The judges are like high school kids and I hate every one of them.

Anoop: If he keeps acting stupid and they keep calling him “Anoop Dog,” I'm gonna start hating him.  “Beat It”!!  God.  He messed up the lyrics.  I love Anoop, but he needs to do better and take this competition more seriously.

Jorge: He sings so good.  Again, I heard something the judges did not.

Adam: I adore this guy.  He is incredibly talented.  He was the best of the night.  He's my favorite on the show.  When that woman said, “I hope Michael Jackson is watching tonight,” my spouse said, “I think Adam's a little old for him.”  Oh snap!

Matt: He's very good. It'd be great to have him take second place.  To Adam.  Second place to Adam.  Who will win.

Alexis: She wasn't pleased with her performance.  She's better than she was tonight. It'd be great to have her take second place.  To Adam.  Second place to Adam.  Who will win.

The ones I do not like:

Scott: I actually resented him up until now because I thought he was only on the show because he's blind.  They mention his visual impairment every time they critique him, and I didn't think he belonged here.  I'm still not sure he does.  This is the best I've heard him so far, though.

Allison: No.

Kris: I never remember anything about Kris.  Simon hurt his wife's feelings, which sucks.

Michael: This guy reminds me of my cousins who bullied me growing up.  He also reminds me of the guys in high school that picked on the smaller ones.  He also reminds me of frat boys.  I can't be unbiased about him, so I won't comment.  Except that he's off-key.

Megan: I hate Rockin' Robin.  God how I hate it.  And I don't think she has a stunning voice.

Edited to add: Lil. Because I do not like Lil.

RE:  American Idol - Acrobat - 03-12-2009 07:32 AM

Trathena Wrote:

Have you ever noticed that on every show, there's a girl by a mic that shrieks like a banshee and you can hear her above everyone else?  It's kind of like an Ours bootleg.

HA! And so true.

Next week is country music. Somebody fucking shoot me, please. Ugh.

Oh, and Kelly Clarkson? I think you're pretty awesome. Now fire your hairstylist, please.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 03-18-2009 06:25 AM

Well, that was interesting. Just for the record, I HATE country music with very few exceptions. Fortunately, several of those exceptions actually made their way onto the show last night.

Sarver - Bleh. To be fair to him, I couldn't understand a word of the song when Garth sang it either, but he's just not that good. Seems like a nice guy and everything, but this isn't Nice Guy Idol. I'd rather have Tatiana in the finals than him.

Lil - Utterly boring competence, just like last week. Did she even bother to think about what the lyrics mean before singing them? I usually kinda like Martina McBride even though her songs can be message-y and melodramatic, mainly because 1) she seems to mean them when she sings 'em, and 2) her voice is incredible. Lil had neither of these things going for her.

Scott - Musical valium.

Allison - I like her. I can't decide if she looks more like a red-headed Rachel Ray or Kelly Clarkson.

Anoop - I love "Always on My Mind." Love, love, love. Awesome vocal. That's exactly what he needed.

Kris - His voice is pretty and so is he, but I didn't love this as much as the judges. Actually, I liked him way better last week. And that singing-out-of-the-side-of-his-mouth thing is weird and off-putting. Stop doing that with your face, Kris!

Matt - Dug the arrangement, but this kid needs singing lessons, stat. Relax your jaw, dude. Yikes.

Danny - "Jesus, Take the Wheel"? Are you fucking kidding me? You were great last week, but after that I'm right back to hating your smarmy ass. I am so sick of "inspirational" message ballads. Even when you take all of that heavy-handed bullshit away, his singing wasn't that great.

Danny's going to win this whole fucking thing, isn't he?

Alexis - Picked another one of my favorites with "Jolene," but this wasn't great. I'm starting to think that her voice isn't nearly as good as she (or the judges) think it is.

Megan - Though I hate country, I do love Patsy Cline, and this was a weirdly good fit for Megan's voice. Shame she was sick. Just like Lil, though, she didn't have the slightest clue what she was singing about. That's not a happy song, Megan. Stop smiling. And her boobs scared the crap out of me.

Adam - Where to start with you, my fabulous gay boy?

On the one hand, I think Johnny Cash actually would have appreciated what he did there, considering how many oddball-yet-awesome covers he did towards the end of his life, and how much he liked to give the middle finger to the establishment. I kinda love how Adam was all, "Country week? Fuck that. Bring on the sitars, bitches." And it was completely worth it to see the supreme awkwardness of Randy Travis trying to deal with him. I think the combination of Adam himself and that weird-ass arrangement completely blew his mind and left him a stuttering, catatonic mess. AWESOME.

On the other hand... he probably alienated a good portion of the voters with that, and not just the country fans. That was the weirdest freaking thing I've ever seen on this show, so much so that I still don't know if I liked it or not. It was awesome in its sheer WTF-ness, but was it actually good? I dunno. I'll have to watch it a dozen times before I figure that one out. And the eye-fucking was a little over-the-top, even by Adam's lofty standards.

Oh, and I know why he couldn't say where he got that arrangment on-air, just that he "found it": it was straight from Dilana's performance of it on Rockstar: Supernova.

RE: American Idol - SoundscapeMN - 03-18-2009 11:49 PM

it might be worth adding, apparently (I don't watch any reality tv, including this show) Adam mentioned how the song he sang "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash was "the Jeff Buckley version" or something.

However, Jeff Buckley, from pretty much any info online at least, NEVER covered that song. Granted, probably 98% of the viewers would have no idea or care, but for the Buckley peeps like myself, it's pretty laughable when a comment like that is said.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 03-19-2009 07:10 PM

As always, I'm a week behind.  And y'all please feel free to ignore my blathering.  I'm having a good time using Hayley's bandwidth and listening to my own voice.  This is very self-indulgent.

So Jasmine and Jorge are gone.  I liked both of them.  Damn it.

Country week.  [sarcasm]Always a pleasure.[/sarcasm]

Live AI blogging!

FratMichael: Again.  I'm biased against him, so I can't judge fairly.  But he doesn't enunciate.  He's no Garth Brooks.  Spouse: "The harmonica player should go through to the next round."

Simon backed me up on the enunciation! Woot!

Allison and Her Sexy Lips: This is the first time that I've liked her.  I think she did really well.  It's clear she understood and “listened to” the lyrics.  There was a split second where she sang ahead of the band and they very quickly caught up with her.  Anyone who isn't familiar with this song wouldn't have even noticed.  So the band clearly likes her and saved her ass.  I finally see in this girl what everyone else has been seeing.

If Randy would simply say, “That was DOPE!” every time and nothing else, I wouldn't hate him so much.

Kris and His Pretty Face: Another Garth song.  I really, really loathe hyperbolic love songs.  It's difficult hearing this song--that was written for Garth's voice--being sung in this boy band way.  But it didn't suck.

Did Paula get a boob job recently? Because she's been showing the cleavage a lot lately. And she's sober tonight.  Good for her!

NotLilKim: No.  Singers like Lil always laze their way through the verses so they can let loose with their glory notes on the chorus.  I can't believe the judges suggested “I Will Always Love You” for Lil.  The last thing this show needs is another Whitney wannabe.

Adam and His Awesome Voice: It's funny to see the closeted Randy Travis and the out Adam together. Hee!

….................................................................................oh my god.  Jesus Mary and Joseph.  What the fuck did I just hear??

haha. My spouse said, “That was a bit safe, wasn't it?”  Seriously, though, he thinks that Adam missed an opportunity by not singing the song classically. He thinks Adam could have done really well singing an actual country song in the actual country genre, but that he didn't want to sing “those people's” music.  Spouse: “He missed a golden opportunity to take a beautiful black and white photo because he thinks he can only take color photos.”  I disagree completely because the song kicked so much ass and we've got another singer here who is of Gnecco caliber.

OK, this …..  I want to listen to this over and over again.

Kara has no variety in her musical taste or experience. Fuck her.  Simon is an idiot.  Randy and Paula are making sense?

Scott: This guy seems very nice, but he's just too Bruce Hornsby/Ben Folds for me.  He can't “up his game,” judges, because this is all he is.

Alexis: I totally predicted she'd sing this song.  I hate to say this, but I don't like her arrangement here.  She's singing it very prettily, but it's clumsy.  Spouse: “What a mess.  This is not a torch song.”

Danny: Aww, he's nervous.  “Jesus Take the Wheel”?!? Aww, he's an idiot.  I miss his husky voice that we heard in the beginning, but everyone loves him.

Anoop: Me: “OK, that was lovely.”  Spouse: “That's what I wanted to hear from Adam, because it would have been glorious and strange rather than just 'lovely.'”

Megan and Her Smokin' Hotness: Poor thing.  I'm just not feeling her. Except for her hotness.

Matt: Damn this show finds some talented kids. This is live, y'all!  I'm never gonna enjoy hearing a pop version of a bad country song, but he learned this in a week and did it live. Impressive.

I hope that Kris isn't forgotten and that either Michael or Scott is voted off.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 03-19-2009 07:17 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

On the other hand... he probably alienated a good portion of the voters with that, and not just the country fans.

Then that speaks well of him. ;-)  I know, I know, this show used to be about winning. But very quickly it's become a show for the "almost-wons" to get noticed.

Quote:
That was the weirdest freaking thing I've ever seen on this show, . . .

You misspelled "perfect." ;-)

Quote:
. . . but was it actually good?

Yes, my darling. Yes. It was.

And let the record show that I didn't even know Adam was gay until Acrobat told me.  So . . . my appreciation of him isn't because of that. I've picked him for the winner since they were all still in Hollywood.

But God. He's perfect.

By the way, who was voted off? I didn't record last night's show.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 03-19-2009 08:01 PM

This show may not be so much about who wins anymore, but the longer Adam stays on the show, the longer we can watch him befuddle the judges every week with his awesomeness. I just selfishly want him on my TV every week without any shocking elimination getting in the way of it. Of course, he's one of only two people who I think the judges would actually use their "save" for.

And after watching Ring of Fire a few more times, I have concluded that it was, indeed, awesome. It's just... cognitive dissonance, man. What he did was so far outside of the realm of what is expected or acceptable on Idol that I could only sit there and stare because he blew my brain clear across the room with the sheer weirdness of it. "But hey, isn't that, in and of itself, a kickass thing to do on this family-friendly, loved-by-middle-America show? Fuck with the establishment?" Well, not necessarily (Exhibit A: Sanjaya). But I do kinda love what Adam is doing here, because even though he's fucking with the milquetoast standards of what is good and acceptable on this show, he is still being really great while he does it.

Side note: my father is 61 years old, born in Alabama, lived in the South his whole life, and slightly on the conservative side. He also thought that Adam kicked ass. I'm not sure if this speaks better of my father or Adam, but there you go.

Alexis went home last night. Michael Sarver was in the bottom two with her, and Allison rounded out the bottom three but got sent back to the couches first.

Quick edit to Kyle: Adam didn't say he did "the Jeff Buckley version," because there isn't one. Randy's the one who brought up Buckley on the results show. I forget what he actually said, but I think it was along the lines of, "I liked the Jeff Buckley vibe you gave the song." Which, vocally... yeah, pretty much. The high notes in that vocal were freakishly similar.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 03-20-2009 04:33 AM

Acrobat, what you said in your first two paragraphs is spot on.  It's true that--as a rule--America doesn't have good taste and will recoil from "teh diff'rint." Especially those in the Southern Hemisphere (fucking Australians).

But see, I didn't start watching this program until Chris Daughtry (sp?) was on, and I only watched a few shows then.  I watched all of last season.

If contestants like Chris and David Cook and that Jason kid and now Adam were always voted off early, I'd not waste my time with this show. But because I only started watching it the past few seasons, I don't see Idol as being that kind of show. The "weird" ones, in my experience, don't get voted off early.

However! I've been told that Idol has traditionally been a very conservative show (in every sense of the word). They wanted their gay contestants to be closeted while on the show. They wanted their single moms to not talk about the kids. They didn't allow instruments or rock music. They wanted their contestants to sing pop or Whitney-type adult contemporary. I don't know that Idol.  I came to it when the kids were already singing "The Live cover of 'Walk the Line,'" and not getting voted off.

Did Simon recant what he to Adam at all? I think sometimes when they listen to the songs again without all the audience noise, they sometimes change their minds.

Please take this 6:30am, pre-coffee post for what it's worth.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 03-20-2009 05:42 AM

Posting before coffee? You're a stronger woman than I.

I've seen every season of Idol; I accidentally stumbled into it halfway through the first season when I stopped my channel-flipping long enough to hear Kelly Clarkson. Damn, that girl can sing.

Anyway, I don't think Idol has a problem with single moms (they made a big deal about Fantasia being a single mom, and not in a negative way. In fact, they carted out her daughter to bring in the "Awww" votes. This year, there's Alexis and Megan). With gay contestants... I think they do have a problem with it. Not in that it offends the producers or the judges, but that they're afraid that it'll turn off the American public when a contestant otherwise has a good chance of winning (and therefore making money for them). It's not so much a moral objection on the part of the producers as it is a monetary one.

Maybe that's why I like this show so much when it otherwise should offend every musical bone in my body; it's this crazy sociological experiment masquerading as a singing contest.

And no, Simon most definitely did not recant his words to Adam. When asked, he said that it was even worse when he watched it back on TV. Heh. Another thing I've learned in watching this show for so many years: while Simon is usually right, his taste in music and lack of knowledge of it can be abysmal sometimes. I remember last year, some girl sang Heart's "Magic Man," and he said he'd never heard of the song before. The hell, Simon?

RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 03-20-2009 09:02 AM

Damn Trathena, posting pre-coffee? As Erin said, you are a stronger woman then both of us. I'm completely useless until I've had some.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 03-20-2009 03:20 PM

Erin and Sarah, yeah but . . . that post was practically incoherent. And now, I'm pounding back the Captain Morgans, so it'll only get worse as the night goes on.

Acrobat Wrote:
I don't think Idol has a problem with single moms (they made a big deal about Fantasia being a single mom, and not in a negative way. In fact, they carted out her daughter to bring in the "Awww" votes.

See, and that's when I heard the rumours about their attitudes on single moms. They would have rather Fantasia just not talk about it. Fantasia, herself, said she got vibes that they didn't really appreciate her talking about it, but when the country didn't seem to mind, they let it go.

But even then, I wondered if what I was hearing was actually true. I remember thinking, "But the show is produced by British guys, not uptight, Puritan Americans!"

Quote:
Simon is usually right, his taste in music and lack of knowledge of it can be abysmal sometimes.

Simon is always right about what American will like, but he's got completely different taste in music than I do. See his fascination-bordering-on-fetishism of adult contemporary black female glory note singers.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 03-20-2009 03:26 PM

You're pounding back Captain Morgans? Should I pour myself a drink and get on AIM?

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 03-20-2009 05:19 PM

HELL YEAH!

RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 03-20-2009 06:33 PM

Um, Captain and Cokes? Where are you Tracy? Seriously, Erin and I are both here and I've had 2 margaritas.

RE: American Idol - northstar80 - 03-21-2009 04:01 PM

I'm with everyone here who thinks that Adam's "Ring of Fire" is one of the most fucking awesome things ever! Of course the AI judges don't want to praise it too highly b/c they know they can't market that sort of thing to the drooling masses who wait to be told what they should like and listen to.

Interestingly, somebody posted this on an Adam Lambert website--was it any of you?:detective:

Quote:
trent Says:
March 18th, 2009 at 5:14 pm
Adam was awesome last night!!! That is a given, but the comparisons of his singing is way off. Everyone is wrong in their comparison of singing style. It was nowhere close to NIN. NIN is industrial in its music sound. Trent Reznor is a unique and powerful singer but completely different style of singer. Everyone needs to listen to Jeff Buckley or Jimmy Gnecco from the Band Ours sing. Listen to the song Murder by Ours, then you will know what Adam Lambert’s sound is closer too.

RE: American Idol - northstar80 - 03-21-2009 04:05 PM

p.s.

Wasn't that the Universal Hall Pass version of "Ring of Fire?"  I think I have that .mp3 somewhere...

http://www.universalhallpass.com/sounds.html

Well, it's somewhat similar, I guess.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 03-21-2009 04:45 PM

haha, Northstar, it wasn't me, but whoever that person is, she/he is spot on.

I'll also add that I'd not be surprised to find that Adam is a fan of Muse.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 03-26-2009 07:20 AM

That wasn't me either, northstar. Not enough swear words. Anyway, can we just get rid of five of these goons already?

Matt - picked a really, really overdone song but did an awesome job with it. Man, his dancing is awkward to watch. I'd rather him stay behind the piano, because he's one of the few people who can stay behind it and still be interesting to look at.

Kris - I shouldn't have enjoyed this, but I did. Total Jason Mraz thing going on with this guy. Add in the fact that he's the cutest thing you've ever seen, and he's ridiculously marketable. He's like Jason Castro with a better voice.

Scott - Phil Collins called. He sounded kinda pissed.

Michael - Didn't deserve to make the top 50, let alone be here right now. Awful, awful, awful. Why are you smiling when Smokey f'in Robinson made a point to tell you that it's a desperate, pleading song? The last note was painful. Is he still sick?

Anoop - Gorgeous. I love that song, but it's not a good one for this show. It's too sleepy. But damn, he sounded great.

Lil - I covet that dress, but that's about it. I don't know how such an up-tempo song can be so boring, but there you go.

Megan - Stevie Wonder has been slaughtered many times on this show, but never quite so spectacularly. Holy shit, that was awful. But she's pretty! Also awful. Did I say she was awful?

Adam - When he said what song he was singing, I was all, "FUCK YES." I forgot how many Smokey Robinson songs there are that I absolutely love. I clearly do not have enough Smokey on my iPod and I need to fix this. As for Adam: I am dumbfounded by how amazing he was. Wow. I think he just won this show. Best performance of the season so far, by anyone.

Danny - Yet again earns my hatred by ignoring Smokey's advice. His voice sounded good, but honestly, when you get a performance like that immediately after Adam's, how can I even give a shit? It was good karaoke, which is a step up from Scott and Michael, who are bad karaoke.

Allison - Awesome! Adam was the best of the night, but this was the right performance to end the show with. Why the hell was she bottom 3 last week? She's great.

The judges were strangely dead-on last night, too. Simon always is, but when did Randy start giving good constructive criticism? Weird. I'm just used to a total word salad of "dawg" and "a'ight" and "pitchy" whenever he speaks.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 03-26-2009 04:42 PM

I fucking love Motown.  I'm only going to discuss my favorites. I'm trying not to be too wordy.

Spouse: Adam should sing “Tears of a Clown.  I want to see him choose his songs strategically, instead of just tactically.”  My spouse is so smart.

And there's Smokey Robinson!!  Awesome.

Matt: I wish he'd not gotten up from the piano.  He's very good though. He started out brilliantly.  UnneededKara: “solid performance”?? It was a fantastic performance.  I've been ignoring him up to now.  Not anymore.

Chris and His Face: Chris is like Tony Lucca or Howie Day (talented, but if he can't write beautiful songs, he'll go nowhere).  Spouse: “Very James Taylor.”  He's doing very well.  Those numbers on his shirt bug me.  UnneededKara is so full of shit in so many ways.  Safe?  Probably, but this is pretty much the best he can do.  This is the top of his game.

Commercials:  What?? Bob Dylan, you fucking whore.

SympathyVoteScott: I love that he's standing his ground about the piano.  He just doesn't belong in this competition.  That's really all I have to say.  Spouse: “He has no vocal range.”

Smokey Robinson has had a lot of botox. He wears more makeup than I do.

Megan: Poor thing. She sucks so bad.  Oh. Train wreck. The bad singing, the dancing, the clothes.  Spouse: “If this was Ethel Merman night, she'd have this thing wrapped up.”

RANDY SAID “TRAIN WRECK” TOO!!!  Why do they always say, “Not the right song,” instead of “You sang this very badly”?

Anoop: Wow. He did a great job with a very difficult song.  He was so patient with the melody.

Michael:

Lil: I think she looks great.  But I just do not know why people think she's so great.  Spouse: “The background singers do not like her.”  She's very brashy and it's all kind of messy.  However, I think that UnneededKara is being completely unfair.  This was supposed to be “Lil's night”?  Lil the diva?? Why? Why??

Adam: Not as perfect melodically as last week, but very, very beautiful.  Very touching.  It shows that he has read and thought about the words.  Those people clapping in rhythm to this song? I want to mow them down with a shotgun.  Spouse: “I heard 'Tracks of My Tears' and I still heard Adam. Perfect combination.”

UnneededKara, THAT'S EIGHT WORDS!  You idiot.
Paula: Shut up about the nail polish!  He's in costume.

Danny: I love Danny's textured vocals.  But he dropped Smokey's advice. Too bad.  I really enjoyed this performance.

Allison: I'm sorry, but no. I'm sorry.

I think that either Megan or Michael should go.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 03-26-2009 04:48 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Megan - Stevie Wonder has been slaughtered many times on this show, but never quite so spectacularly. Holy shit, that was awful. But she's pretty! Also awful. Did I say she was awful?

I know. She literally made a fool of herself. And, I was kind of angry at Smokey. His job is to give honest feedback. Why didn't he tell her, "No!No!No!" instead of that lame, "haha! I'm horny!" laughing type of response, "You're different"? wtf?

Remember last week when Randy Travis told Adam that he didn't care for what he was about to do to Johnny Cash's song? Sure, he was full of shit, but he was giving honest feedback, not lame half-ass compliments just to be nice.

But, yeah, Megan lost the competition last night.
RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 03-26-2009 05:02 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Michael - Didn't deserve to make the top 50, let alone be here right now.

How can you say that? He works on an oil rig!!!!
RE: American Idol - northstar80 - 03-26-2009 07:01 PM

"UnneededKara" & "SympathyVoteScott"--My thoughts exactly!

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-01-2009 05:46 PM

It's the Itunes whoring night!

I laugh every time they call the contestants “artists.” And then I sink into a depression and hate the world.

Anoop and Megan: The thing that both Anoop and Megan need to learn is this: Loving a song doesn't mean that you're going to sing it well. I think it's funny that Paula tells Megan exactly what to do if she wants to do well in this competition. “Duffy?” I hate Randy. Again: Liking a song doesn't mean you can sing it well!

Danny: Ohh! Strings! ::sigh:: I need to put aside the fact that I don't like this song and only judge his singing. He picked a song that highlights his range and his voice. Spouse: “So much of modern country music is bad soul or bad pop.” That being said, Danny sang well. Simon is right in that it's much better than the first two contestants. Spouse: “Unlike Adam, I don't think Danny knows what he's doing right.”

Megan: OK, her hair is starting to remind me of Pippy Longstocking. This is a good song choice, though. Spouse: “Like Megan, she's a one-trick pony, but her trick is worth hearing.” This is the first time that I won't say, “no,” to Megan. This was very good. She doesn't have the delicacy of Gwen's voice, but as soon as I heard she was singing this, I knew we'd hear an emotional, textured rendition. Lovely. Since the judges are only focusing on what she's wearing, it's a waste of time to listen to them.

SympathyVoteScott: Good song choice. [aging myself]John Hall hair cut; y'all I love this song; I'm old enough to remember when it was a hit. I remember watching James at Sixteen, and this song played when he lost his virginity.[/aging myself] This will keep him in the competition. He's not good enough to win. I'd be upset by Scott, but as long as we still have the Scott and Megan and Lil, I don't mind him being here.

Matt: Perfect song for him! And yet, I'm not loving this. Why? What happened??? Why? I'm very, very shocked. Damn it. Randy: “One Republic.” Actually, that's good advice. Spouse: "He gets a pass because he took a stiff dicking last week."

Lil: I just don't like her. She's out of tune. She's flat. She seems like a nice woman. Spouse: “Lil's good; she's just not as much of a Diva as she thinks she ought to be.”

OK, the little girl hugging Randy is cute as hell.

Adam: Wild Cherry!!???!! Spouse: “I hear Elvis all over that, and he's doing that shit on purpose.” So right. This kid is fucking perfect. Goddamn. Spouse: "Genius on so many levels, and half of America isn't in on the joke."

Chris: Again, he's picked a perfect song for his voice. That was very, very good. Very good. I have nothing negative to say. Wonderful cover, worthy of recording. Spouse: "Chris is now doomed to the bottom three." heh.

As much as it pains me: SmokinHotMegan needs to go.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-01-2009 06:06 PM

You know, I don't know anything about UnNeededKara's personal life, but she comes off as an entitled, spoiled brat who's never done without anything a day in her life.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-01-2009 06:10 PM

Anoop - He was on the right track by picking Usher, since the most marketable place for him to be is that contemporary young R&B Usher/Chris Brown/Nee-yo place. Then he picks the worst possible song from Usher's list of hits to sing. It's monotonous and tuneless, and you've got a problem if your song is one where you don't give a shit what the singing sounds like and you just want to watch Usher and a dozen backup dancers kill it. "You Don't Have to Call" or "You Got It Bad" would have worked better. Those songs require actual singing.

Megan - Is awful. Go home, Caw Caw.

Danny - Not as well-sung as the judges thought it was, but nice enough. But this show is looking for a pop star, and this guy has no star-quality. None. It'd be like if one of your co-workers showed up at karaoke night and turned out to have an awesome voice. You've be all, "Huh, that's nice." But you wouldn't buy one of his albums because that would be stupid.

Allison - A little breathy and rushed in spots, but overall really good. She's still one of my favorite. That wardrobe was from hell, though.

Scott - His best performance so far, but this is on the Sliding Scale of Scott's Suckitude, which means it was only passable. He can stay this week, but he still bores the shit outta me. And I hate that song. Scott is just so.... tepid AM Lite. The world does not need another Bruce Hornsby. The world didn't need the original version of Bruce Hornsby, either, so that's a double-whammy of being totally fucking unnecessary. Scott seems like a cool guy, though.

Lil - Is just Not. That. Good. Sorry. Her kids are adorable, though.

Matt - Eh. I'm kinda with you on this one, Trathena. And why do the judges keep referring to The Fray as "rock"? WRONG.

Adam - Love you, dude, but this felt like coasting to me. My least-favorite performance of his. It was still good because it's Adam, but I dunno.

Kris - Loved it! Best of the night for me.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-01-2009 06:27 PM

Is it just me, or does David Cook sound terrible?

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-01-2009 06:32 PM

Not terrible, just strangely low-energy. His falsetto was weirdly weak, too. His voice is tired from touring, maybe? I dunno.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-01-2009 06:33 PM

Still love him!

By the way, your critiques are so funny, Erin. And insightful. :-)

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-01-2009 06:37 PM

What the hell is up with Megan? She kinda has no dignity.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-01-2009 06:53 PM

Well, she's a reality show contestant. I think they screen contestants for any traces of dignity during the application process. If you have any, you're not allowed on TV.

(And thanks! I love ripping on cheesy-yet-entertaining TV. I draw the line at Rock of Love, though. That show will give you herpes.)

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-01-2009 06:57 PM

Erin, you said, "Caw,Caw." What the heck is that all about?

Poor Megan. She's acting like she doesn't care, but it's all bravado.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-01-2009 06:59 PM

Holy crap, you didn't see that? On MJ night she flapped her arms and cawed at the end of "Rockin' Robin." Because she is an idiot.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 04-01-2009 07:05 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Holy crap, you didn't see that? On MJ night she flapped her arms and cawed at the end of "Rockin' Robin." Because she is an idiot.

And she's still doing it . . . why? It's pretty horrible and I'm embarrassed for her.

And Simon totally verbally slapped her face tonight. Damn.

Your rock of love statement is going to be my new sig. line.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-01-2009 07:16 PM

Whoa, I made your sig line? Kickass.

RE:  American Idol - SarahBeth - 04-01-2009 08:45 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Whoa, I made your sig line? Kickass.

*high-fives Erin and Trathena*

VERY VERY HAPPY as to who went home tonight -- won't say because the show hasn't aired on the west coast yet, but yeah. :)
RE: American Idol - spaz - 04-03-2009 10:59 AM

wtf...:confused:

edit: stupid smileys still don't work

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-08-2009 06:50 AM

The Year You Were Born shows are always fun. And holy crap, Allison was born in '92? I feel old. 1997 still feels like yesterday to me.

This will be long. I'm exhausted and bored at work, which means there won't be all that much difference between what I type now and what I'd type if I were drunk.

Danny - That arrangement was absolute ass. The bassline and phrasing are what make "Stand By Me" such a great song anyway, and that version got rid of both of those things. If his voice continues its current trajectory, it'll be shot in three weeks. He gets screamier every week. Screamy can be a good thing, but not when you're already hovering in Michael Bolton territory as it is. Why did the judges like this so much?

Kris - And why did the judges hate this so much? They call this indulgent and give Gokey a free pass? This wasn't great, but it was fun and well-sung. I think Kris is in trouble this week.

Lil - When Paula of all people calls you karaoke, you're fucked.

Scott - You know what his problem is? Aside from the not-being-a-good-singer thing? He officially has the worst taste in music of any Idol contestant. Ever. Worse than Up With the People Gokey, who at least has "P.Y.T." and Ben E. King to his credit. If a song is "inspirational," boring, has the word "dreams" in it, and/or is a staple of 98 FM - Lite Rock, All the Time! - he loves it. Scott loves absolute schlock.

Part of it is his parents' fault. I mean, yeah, I had to listen to a lot of my Mom's crappy music growing up (I know every word to every John Denver song EVER because of her), but she's also the reason that I love Sam Cooke and Otis Redding. That's worth a steady diet of Phil Collins, I think. And then there's Dad, who gave me the Beatles and Stones and Orbison and to this day steals my CDs even though he should be way too old to like the same shit that I do. Scott's parents should have known better. Is THIS the crap they've constantly fed him? Yikes.

And then his friends failed him too, because when you're 16 and all you know is the Top 40, your friends are supposed to turn you into a Metallica fan or get you listening to punk or the Cure or something, and make you hate anything that's vaguely popular until you grow up and get a mind of your own.

So it's all their fault. They're the reason Scott keeps singing this bullshit every week.

Oh, and did you know that Scott is blind?

Anoop - He sounds best with ballads, but he's also slightly boring when he sings them. What a gorgeous voice, though. I'd rather he have gone with "Time After Time."

Matt - I recognize that this was good, but he's kind of lost me in the past few weeks. "Part-Time Lover" is the best kind of 80s cheese there is besides Journey, so I almost wish he didn't rearrange it. Give me shitty synth!

Allison - Was fantastic again on one of the best freaking songs ever written. She shouldn't be able to pull this off at her age. Go, my little Rocker Girl that Could! Go forth and continue being awesome!

Adam - The thing I said about Scott's musical taste? Adam is the absolute opposite. I love "Mad World," I love Adam singing it, and they should just send everyone else home and spend the remaining Idol shows in the season doing the Adam Lambert Variety Hour.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 04-08-2009 05:11 PM

Tonight I'm just going to respond to Acrobat. I'm watching this on TiVo.

Acrobat Wrote:

The Year You Were Born shows are always fun. And holy crap, Allison was born in '92? I feel old. 1997 still feels like yesterday to me.

Honey. The oldest person on this show was born in 1980. I was entering high school in 1980!

Quote:
This will be long. I'm exhausted and bored at work, which means there won't be all that much difference between what I type now and what I'd type if I were drunk.

I'm doing this sober too! Huh. Oh well. I'll be entertained, at least.

Quote:
Danny - That arrangement was absolute ass.

Oh god yes. But I liked the ending. But it was boring until then.

Quote:
Kris - And why did the judges hate this so much? They call this indulgent and give Gokey a free pass? This wasn't great, but it was fun and well-sung. I think Kris is in trouble this week.

He took an 80s song and made it a 70s song. But I enjoyed it better than Danny's.

Paula called him "likable" very soon after Randy reinforced that this is a "vocal competition." heh.

Quote:
Lil - When Paula of all people calls you karaoke, you're fucked.

What a mess. Off-key the entire song.  It wasn't a "beautiful" anything rendition. I couldn't even watch it. Telling her to be "original" won't help because she's not original. She hasn't been from day one.

Quote:
Anoop - He sounds best with ballads, but he's also slightly boring when he sings them. What a gorgeous voice, though. I'd rather he have gone with "Time After Time."

I don't even remember how Anoop acted last week.  Oh yes! He was furious! I remember that. They pissed him off. ha!

Erin, he sounded good, but there are some weak moments there.  But he had some lovely moments. But if he can't write songs? He'll disappear from our world after this competition.

Quote:
SympathyVoteScott - You know what his problem is? Aside from the not-being-a-good-singer thing?

That's all I care about. He can't sing well. But I love your points on the crappy song choices too.

Erin, my mom introduced me to Peter, Paul, and Mary and the Mammas and the Papas. From my dad, it was all Motown all the time. :-)

Oh god! That high note! Oh my god. Hold on...

::rewinds:: Yep, it was as bad as I thought it was.

hahaha! When UneededKara began with, "What I like about you..." the Spouse finished, "being blind."

Paula was completely unethical here. "Bravo"? That's inexcusable.

Quote:
Oh, and did you know that Scott is blind?

Really? I had no idea.  ::runs to vote for him::

Quote:
Allison - Was fantastic again on one of the best freaking songs ever written. She shouldn't be able to pull this off at her age.

I like her more and more each week.  Bonnie Raitt is perfect for her. But I did not like that adornment at the end, and she needs to cut that shit out.

Quote:
Matt - I recognize that this was good, but he's kind of lost me in the past few weeks.

Matt, in my opinion, is never judged correctly. He gets dissed when he's awesome, and he gets praised when he's not that great.

I want Matt to do well every week, I admit it. He's Justin Timberlake without the sex appeal.  He began brilliantly, but fell apart at the end. Was he as good as the judges said he was? I don't think so.

I can't ever seem to be on the same wavelength with the judges or audience when it comes to Matt.

Quote:
Adam - The thing I said about Scott's musical taste? Adam is the absolute opposite. I love "Mad World," I love Adam singing it, and they should just send everyone else home and spend the remaining Idol shows in the season doing the Adam Lambert Variety Hour.

My TiVo cut off during Adam's kiddie story, so I had to pull this up on YouTube. God that was gorgeous. The Donnie Darko version. I adore this song, and he was perfect. What did the judges say about his performance?

I'd like to see Scott or Lil go.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-08-2009 05:22 PM

The judges didn't have enough time to all respond to Adam, so it was just Simon. He basically said, "We're out of time, so I'll speak for everyone." And then he actually stood up and applauded. Holy crap. I've never seen Simon do that, ever.

Quote:
Paula called him "likable" very soon after Randy reinforced that this is a "vocal competition." heh.

And go figure -- Kris is pretty much the only person in the Top 12 who hasn't hit a bad note yet. Even Adam's had a wonky note every now and then. I do feel like Kris' voice is consistently ignored by the judges.

Weird thing is, I wouldn't even call myself a huge Kris fan and he doesn't do the type of music I'd buy, but I think he's getting the short end of the judging stick and it's really annoying me.

Quote:
Matt, in my opinion, is never judged correctly. He gets dissed when he's awesome, and he gets praised when he's not that great.

Agreed. I'm still not entirely sure what the judges want from him. They acted like he's been completely schizophrenic in his song choices when he dares to go from pop-R&B to (gasp!) pop-rock! Scandal! Except that the most successful winner of the show, Kelly Clarkson, does that all the time. Whatever.

The "you don't know who you are, musically" criticism pisses me off, too, because when the judges say that, they really mean, "You aren't acting like the artist we want you to be. Now get back in your R&B box, monkey."
RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-08-2009 06:36 PM

I agree with everything you've said, Erin.

I really, really hope that Kris is a songwriter. I put him in the same category as Damian Rice, Howie Day, Nick Drake, and Tony Lucca. And I mean that as a compliment. But if he can't write music, I don't know where he's gonna go after this competition.

But I have to add that it's hard not to forget about everyone else every time Adam takes the stage.

And . . . what the hell is this group I'm watching? This guy is out of breath halfway through the "song" (i.e., bad sample).

And all of them are causing The Spouse to launch into a Nature vs. Nurture rant. Don't get me wrong; I don't mind it when he does this, but it's not any fun for him this time of night.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-08-2009 06:47 PM

So . . . Kelly Pickler sells records?

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-08-2009 06:57 PM

--SPOILER--

Oh Scott. I won't tease you anymore.

You know, it's not his fault that he got this far. He should have never gotten out of Hollywood in the first place.

Farewell, SympathyVoteScott! I wish nothing but good things for you.

RE:  American Idol - Acrobat - 04-08-2009 07:08 PM

Trathena Wrote:

I really, really hope that Kris is a songwriter.

From what I understand, he is, but I haven't heard any of his original stuff. I might have to do some digging, because I'm curious.

Quote:
I put him in the same category as Damian Rice,

Loooove Damien Rice. Not sure if I'd compare Kris to him, but I see what you're getting at.

Quote:
But I have to add that it's hard not to forget about everyone else every time Adam takes the stage.

Amen. If Adam doesn't win I'll be shocked.

Quote:
And . . . what the hell is this group I'm watching? This guy is out of breath halfway through the "song" (i.e., bad sample).

That would be Flo Rida. I thought "Low" was a fun club song, but this was just baaaaad.

Quote:
So . . . Kelly Pickler sells records?

Yeah, I don't get it either. She looked great, but that was about it. (And boy, if that isn't a blanket statement for the industry right now, I don't know what is.)

Bye, Scott! You seem like a nice guy. I wish you could sing better, and I wish the judges hadn't patronized you so damn much.
RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 04-09-2009 07:21 AM

God Erin, I love both you and Tracy when you get onto your tangents.....

Quote:
That would be Flo Rida. I thought "Low" was a fun club song, but this was just baaaaad.

He got muted after he sang the first line. Kellie Pickler too. I can't stand her!

I was glad to see Scott go because it was his time. I really am digging Kris and I love Matt too. I think the two of them have huge amounts of potential, even not winning. I think Kris could get into the final 3 if he plays his cards correctly.

Theme for next week is Songs from the Movies. Quentin Tarentino is the mentor.

THAT should be seriously interesting.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-09-2009 07:49 AM

Tarantino? Awesome. He was a guest judge back in... shit, I forget. Season 3, I think. And though most of the guest judges fell flat, I thought Tarantino was the best one by a mile. He's apparently a huge fan of the show.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-15-2009 05:18 PM

Spouse: “You know, I'd be perfectly justified to do so, but I can't bring myself to hate Randy anymore than I can hate a five-year-old child.”  Hee!

Damn, I'm going to miss Simon's commentary.

Allison: She just reminded me of all the reasons I wasn't impressed with her at the beginning of this show.  I don't think she sounded good at all. Flat and off-key.  I have no idea what the judges heard that I didn't.  Allison is a one-trick pony.

Anoop: Tarantino is trying to make a boring song less boring.  Impossible.  Anoop did well, very well, but he's found a safe place in torch songs that could quickly get tiresome.  But he's in the box the judges have wanted him to be in, so they love him. He does sing well, though.

Adam: Axle Rose/Adam Ant sings “Born to be Wild.”  I'm sorry.  I'm gonna age myself here, but y'all I came of age to this song.  This song . . . for the first time since he's been on this show, Adam isn't paying attention to the song.  He's gotten too comfortable.  The singer of this song is a brooding menace that's just barely being released. Adam's idea of “wild” is not the original writer's idea of wild.  Simon's right that it was “vocally incredible,” but I think that I can't judge without bias here.  This song is just too much in my psyche.  That being said, Adam's voice is just stunning.

Matt: What's with all these boring torch songs?  Spouse: “Scott leaving the competition has left a void in which Matt has been sucked.”  Oh Matt. You're off tonight. What the hell is going on?  Oh well, he won't get voted off.

Danny: He had one bad note, but this was a great job.  He really pulled it together, and I'm sure that was hard to do after that crappy note.

Ahh, Simon mentioned David Cook's “Hello.”  The memories.  That was a fucking awesome performance.

Commercials:
Me: What the fuck are they doing to Star Trek??
Spouse: [sarcasm]They're making it relevant.[/sarcasm]
Me: You remind me every second why I married you.

Kris: Oh! Once!! Oh Kris! I love this.  Best performance of the night.  Spouse: “Lots of musical intelligence here. He thought his way through the song.”  Randy is retarded.  There was no such thing as “pitchy” in that performance.  Randy's just never heard the song before.  UnneededKara thinks it's obscure?? It won an Oscar!!

Whatever. Best performance of the night, and I say this having not heard Lil.  Because, come on.

Lil: She's trying, but her rendition is butchering this song.  But here, Randy.  Here's your goddamn “pitchy.”  Spouse: “She thinks she's doing so well.  She thinks this is her 'Summertime.'”

Paula just gave her a Goodbye speech.  Hey, the spouse was right.  Lil does think she did perfectly.

Lil needs to go.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-15-2009 06:02 PM

Allison - I love her and think this was a good song choice for her even though I fucking HATE that song. Shame she had to sing it so poorly. It was all over the place. I can buy that with the loudness and crappy acoustics that the judges didn't notice, but wow, that was rough. And the key she sang it in was weird -- at first it sounded too low, like she was swallowing her words, and then it seemed too high. But that makes no sense, because she has a good vocal range. I dunno. It was all just off. And whatever insane person they have dressing her forgot his meds this week.

Anoop - I'm fucking sick of this song, too. Fortunately for Anoop, he totally won me back here. The melody changes he made were interesting and he sounded awesome. Second best of the night.

Adam - Oh, Adam. I love you, I really do. But this was Iron Maiden: The Musical. I think rock songs need a certain amount of spontaneity to them, but I could practically see you thinking, "Okay, pose here, walk over there, stomp a few times, back this way to headbang..." I admire the gusto, but this song is so played-out that not even your ridiculously awesome voice could save it. Some of those high notes were insane. But he looked like somebody playing a rock star on Broadway.

Matt - Christ, these contestants can't pick songs for shit. This could have been good, but he was all over the place, pitch-wise. He looses control of his voice when he sings too many runs. And he sang too many runs like he normally does. Flat and sharp moments throughout.

Danny - Okay, who the fuck decided to make this Overwrought Wailing Ballad Night on this show? A mostly good job singing a boring song. Love that Simon name-checked David Cook as if to say, "Remember the guy who won last year? You are nowhere near as good or interesting as he is." And he isn't. He'd have kicked ass in Season 2 or 3, but right now this shit ain't cutting it.

Side note: Tarantino's advice of, "Okay, stick your hands in your pockets. Now try and sell this song to me without cheesy arm gestures," was ridiculously intuitive. THAT is why it works to have a guy like him mentor the show -- I adore Smokey Robinson, but he never would have given advice that astute.

Kris - FINALLY, somebody picks a great song that isn't all played-out! Randy was smoking crack; this was fantastic. Best of the night by a mile. And major kudos to the backup singer there, too.

Lil - I am so over this girl, and Simon is too. They slam you for picking a Celine song one week, so you go and choose Bette Middler? The hell, Lil? You're, like, 23 years old and you're coming off like you're 35. Not good. The vocal was wobbly and unsure, and her backtalk was bullshit. "But I put my own gospel spin on it!" Yes, Lil, you did, but that doesn't matter because it wasn't very good. And, strictly in terms of this show: they don't give a shit if you can do gospel passbly well, because gospel doesn't sell.

Should go home: Lil, Danny, or Matt.
Not going anywhere: Danny and Adam.
I am worried for: Kris. I fear that America won't get it.

Edit: Trathena, I think that to the standard Idol viewer, "Falling Slowly" IS obscure. Yeah, it won an Oscar for best song, but so did a Randy Newman tune that I couldn't name if you put a gun to my head. Also, I need to sit down and watch this show with you and your hubby one of these days. Imagine the snark!

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 04-15-2009 06:41 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Anoop - The melody changes he made were interesting and he sounded awesome. Second best of the night.

Agreed, except that I'd say Adam was second best.

Quote:
Adam - I could practically see you thinking, "Okay, pose here, walk over there, stomp a few times, back this way to headbang..."

Right! Right! That's what I meant when I said he wasn't thinking about the song, but rather his performance and how impressive his voice is.

His performance didn't fit the song. Though his voice was perfect.

Quote:
Danny - Okay, who the fuck decided to make this Overwrought Wailing Ballad Night on this show?

I know! I asked the same question! (though not as cleverly.)  All these slow torch songs. bleh. I guess "Born to be Wild" is a welcome relief.

Quote:
Love that Simon name-checked David Cook as if to say, "Remember the guy who won last year? You are nowhere near as good or interesting as he is." And he isn't. He'd have kicked ass in Season 2 or 3, but right now this shit ain't cutting it.

Completely agree here.  I like Danny, but he's not as good as Adam or Kris. But he's better than Matt and Anoop and Allison.

Quote:
Side note: Tarantino's advice of, "Okay, stick your hands in your pockets. Now try and sell this song to me without cheesy arm gestures," was ridiculously intuitive. THAT is why it works to have a guy like him mentor the show -- I adore Smokey Robinson, but he never would have given advice that astute.

Right! Right! I remember when he totally failed Megan by not warning her what a bad, bad thing she was about to do.

Quote:
Kris - FINALLY, somebody picks a great song that isn't all played-out! Randy was smoking crack; this was fantastic. Best of the night by a mile. And major kudos to the backup singer there, too.

Yep.

Quote:
Lil - I am so over this girl, and Simon is too.

And I blame the judges.  She never should have been allowed out of Hollywood in the first place, but they had to have the demographics.  She's doing exactly what she did in her audition and exactly what she did in Hollywood.  And now they're blaming her for singing like she's always done.

Her bitching was inarticulate and classless, but she kind has reason to be pissed.  She's their token "black, female, adult contemporary" singer.  The problem is she isn't a "black, female, adult contemporary singer" who has a good voice.  They didn't pay attention to that in Hollywood because all they saw was the package.  This is on them, not her.

Quote:
Edit: Trathena, I think that to the standard Idol viewer, "Falling Slowly" IS obscure. Yeah, it won an Oscar for best song, but so did a Randy Newman tune that I couldn't name if you put a gun to my head.

Yeah, but "Falling Slowly" is good. ;-)

Quote:
Also, I need to sit down and watch this show with you and your hubby one of these days. Imagine the snark!

I'll make margaritas!
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-15-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:
I like Danny, but he's not as good as Adam or Kris. But he's better than Matt and Anoop and Allison.

I'd say Allison is better than Danny. On a good night, Matt and Anoop CAN be better than Danny, I think. But yeah, Cook owns 'em all.

Quote:
Right! Right! I remember when he totally failed Megan by not warning her what a bad, bad thing she was about to do.

Hee. In Smokey's defense, though, Megan had this tendency to sound good in rehearsal footage and then shitty on the live shows.

Quote:
Yeah, but "Falling Slowly" is good. ;-)

So very true. But as great a performance as that was, and as good of a song as that is, I'm not sure that the contestants have figured out the difference between "a good song" and "a good song for Idol." There is a difference, and they'd do well to figure this out. Fortunately, the gamble worked.

Quote:
The problem is she isn't a "black, female, adult contemporary singer" who has a good voice.  They didn't pay attention to that in Hollywood because all they saw was the package.  This is on them, not her.

Partially, yeah. On the other hand, I do think she kicked ass on the Mary J. Blige song in the semis and she absolutely deserved to get through based on that. Eh, it goes both ways. She did great in the semis and has tanked ever since. They're all to blame for this.

Quote:
I'll make margaritas!

Sweet! Shall I bring chips and salsa?

Oh, and is it my imagination, or did Miley Cyrus actually sound pretty good? I know, I know. Kill me. But vocally, she just outdid Allison and Lil last night by virtue of actually being on-pitch.

Okay, and if Matt sings the hell out of this, they might actually save him tonight. We shall see.

Edit: wow, he sounds MUCH better tonight.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-15-2009 06:58 PM

Awww. That was sweet.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 04-15-2009 07:08 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Quote:
I'll make margaritas!

Sweet! Shall I bring chips and salsa?

Sure! Do you like guacamole?

Quote:
Oh, and is it my imagination, or did Miley Cyrus actually sound pretty good?

I don't know. I muted her.

Quote:
Okay, and if Matt sings the hell out of this, they might actually save him tonight. We shall see.

I think they'd planned to save the person tonight no matter who it was. They knew their favorites (Adam, Kris, Danny, Allison) weren't going to be voted off anyway.  But even so, they'd be justified in keeping whoever it was, simply because at this point everyone is good enough.

But next week we lose two, so Matt and Lil are gone.

And yeah, that was really sweet.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-15-2009 07:12 PM

Not a guacamole fan, but where do you stand on cheese dip?

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-15-2009 07:14 PM

I fucking love cheese dip.

RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 04-16-2009 12:19 PM

Dammit, I missed the Erin and Trathena show last night. Oh well, catch up time!

Quote:
Ahh, Simon mentioned David Cook's “Hello.” The memories. That was a fucking awesome performance.

Wasn't it though? That's when I fell in love with Cook.

Quote:
Kris: Oh! Once!! Oh Kris! I love this. Best performance of the night. Spouse: “Lots of musical intelligence here. He thought his way through the song.” Randy is retarded. There was no such thing as “pitchy” in that performance. Randy's just never heard the song before. UnneededKara thinks it's obscure?? It won an Oscar!!

I LOVED Kris's performance myself. Definitely best of the night. And I ran to download it from itunes SO fast. Got the original too. He's absolutely a dark horse. He can get into the top 3 if he keeps picking songs like that and being SMART.

Quote:
Also, I need to sit down and watch this show with you and your hubby one of these days. Imagine the snark!

Um, I am so there with you, Erin & Trathena! God, could you imagine the snark. Made 10 times better with liquor.

Quote:
And I blame the judges. She never should have been allowed out of Hollywood in the first place, but they had to have the demographics. She's doing exactly what she did in her audition and exactly what she did in Hollywood. And now they're blaming her for singing like she's always done.

Her bitching was inarticulate and classless, but she kind has reason to be pissed. She's their token "black, female, adult contemporary" singer. The problem is she isn't a "black, female, adult contemporary singer" who has a good voice. They didn't pay attention to that in Hollywood because all they saw was the package. This is on them, not her.

Agreed.

Quote:
I'd say Allison is better than Danny. On a good night, Matt and Anoop CAN be better than Danny, I think. But yeah, Cook owns 'em all.

Damn straight!

Quote:
Oh, and is it my imagination, or did Miley Cyrus actually sound pretty good? I know, I know. Kill me. But vocally, she just outdid Allison and Lil last night by virtue of actually being on-pitch.

Miley actually did sound kinda good tonight. Not your imagination.

Add me to the cheese dip lovers club.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 04-17-2009 12:45 PM

SarahBeth Wrote:
And I ran to download it from itunes SO fast. Got the original too.

Here is the entire soundtrack:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fo50x4

Caveat: I've not tagged this yet. It's a new file. I hope it sounds OK.
RE: American Idol - northstar80 - 04-21-2009 06:52 PM

Okay...so did any of the other viewers here have a teary-eyed reaction to you-know-who's performance tonight? As soon as I saw Paula loose it during that high note, well . . . it was all a little too much for my empathetic emo self to handle, and I knew I was a goner, lol!

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-22-2009 07:29 AM

Not only were most of the songs not performed in a disco way, but several of them were never disco in their original versions. Earth, Wind, & Fire? R&B, not disco. "I'm Every Woman"? Not disco. "She Works Hard for the Money"? 80's pop. Ah well.

Lil - Go. Home. Ugh. And SHUT UP. She looked great, at least, but that's about it. Like always, her voice was all over the damn place. And when a song is associated with Chaka and Whitney? Stay far, far away.

Kris - Kickass. He just keeps getting better every week, doesn't he? I wouldn't mind seeing him in the final two. I'm not even sure why I like him so much, because the kind of music he obviously wants to make is not the kind of music I'd buy. Still, he's great. It annoyed me to no end that Paula and Simon argued about stupid shit unrelated to the performance during the critiques, because it should have been four judges in a row all going, "Awesome!" Instead we got the Paula & Simon Show, because it's all about them. Ugh.

Danny - Okay, is he blowing the judges before every show? I don't get it. Let me get this straight: the judges (rightly) criticize Lil for being unoriginal and making bad song choices. Then Danny goes out and 1) does a karaoke version of 2) a song that doesn't really fit his voice, and they love it? Paula thinks he's "pitch-perfect?" Paula is also on quaaludes, so whatever. His voice is going out on him, it was too shouty, had pitch issues, and the performance was straight-up "Drunk Uncle At a Wedding."

Oh, and Paula? Please don't speak on behalf of me ever, ever again when you tell Danny that all women think he's got the sexiest voice EVAR~! Because: no.

On the plus side, I think last night was the start of Simon beginning to turn on Gokey.

Allison - That kicked 9,000 kinds of ass. And that's a lot of ass. Awesome. Screw the judges, girl, that arrangement was great.

Adam - Sigh. I sort of don't know what to say here. He's fabulous and I want him to win, but this kind of bored me. Brilliantly sung, yes, but if he was looking for another "Tracks of My Tears" or "Mad World" moment, I wasn't really feeling it. I feel like I should apologize for not loving this. If there was ever a week for Adam to totally go nuts onstage, it was this one. Not "Songs From the Movies" week. C'mon, Adam! The only disco diva on this show is you!

Have y'all noticed how he always alternates a ballad with an up-tempo song? I'd put money on him doing a high-energy number next week, because as we all know, he's not going anywhere.

Matt - As cool of a moment as it was for him last Wednesday, I'm starting to think that the judges wasted their save. If Allison or Kris ends up going home tonight, they definitely wasted it. It was good karaoke, as opposed to Lil's bad karaoke, but still. He did just fine, but nothing to convince me that he actually earned that reprieve.

Anoop - I appreciate that he tried to rearrange it, but how can you re-tool a disco song and have it come out even dippier than what you started off with? The arrangment was completely toothless, and his voice wasn't as good as it's been in previous weeks. YOW on that last note. Dig the goatee, though.

Going home: Definitely Lil. I have no idea who else.
Should go home: Based on last night, any of Anoop, Danny, or Matt would be fine.

I'm hoping for Danny to get the shockingOMG~! boot, but I fear it might be Allison or Kris.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-22-2009 05:38 PM

Very quick comments tonight. Not much play time for the next couple of days, I'm afraid.

Last night's show was very boring for me. I couldn't concentrate.

Lil: “Sing it ladies!” No. I'm not every woman, nor do I want to be.  Randy: “You definely can sing.”  No. No she can't. Stop telling her she can sing.  Spouse: “They're driving her nuts.  It borders on cruel because she's not smart enough to grasp what they're telling her.”  Who is she as an artist, UnneededKara?  First, she's not an “artist.” There's no need to go any further.

I never, ever accept “I've been sick” excuses.  And I really wish they'd stop letting her rant on the stage.

Kris: Is it ethical for Ryan to tell us, “I think you're gonna like this.”  If I'd never heard this song before, I'd hate it.  Consider if we didn't know he was singing another song that he'd rearranged.  That being said, yeah he did fine.  He didn't push himself.  But it was fine.

Kris is our next Duncan Sheik.  Meaning, I'm going to think some songs are brilliant and some are boring.  Also? Paula's comments regarding “shopping in the women's department” is hysterical considering Kris' unfortunate religious beliefs.

Danny: This song needs a five guy group.  Danny kind of looks old and lonely up there.  I love the bridge, though!  Spouse: “They skinned Lil alive for unoriginality, but not Danny.”  UnneededKara is right about the pitch, though.

Allison: I enjoyed most of this.  This is great.  Good for her. Spouse: "She's great for her age, but that shouldn't be what's keeping her in the competition."

Adam: Damn.  Spouse: “That was the best he's ever done.”  He was singing this . . . it was in his eyes. Very powerful.

Matt: Stayin' Alive.  Spouse: “No, dude, you're not.”  The Spouse thinks that—in this company—Matt was second-worst.  I nod, but secretly think that Matt did great.

Anoop: All of them are taking disco songs and not singing them in a disco way. Have you noticed? . . . I found that I didn't even listen to Anoop tonight. I don't know why.

It's too bad that two have to leave.  It needs to be Lil and Matt.

Sorry for the lazy commentary.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 04-22-2009 05:50 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Not only were most of the songs not performed in a disco way, . . .

You noticed that too? Awesome.

Quote:
but several of them were never disco in their original versions. Earth, Wind, & Fire? R&B, not disco. "I'm Every Woman"? Not disco. "She Works Hard for the Money"? 80's pop. Ah well.

Oh my God! You're right! How the heck did that happen?

Quote:
Danny - Let me get this straight: the judges (rightly) criticize Lil for being unoriginal and making bad song choices. Then Danny goes out and 1) does a karaoke version of 2) a song that doesn't really fit his voice, and they love it?

That's what my spouse said! Awesome.

Quote:
Adam - Have y'all noticed how he always alternates a ballad with an up-tempo song? I'd put money on him doing a high-energy number next week, because as we all know, he's not going anywhere.

I noticed that too. But he's thinking about the judges as well as the audience. He'll never get a "that was safe" comment from them. He's playing this smart. It's predictable, but the judges are too stupid to notice. They just think he's "versatile."

Quote:
Matt - As cool of a moment as it was for him last Wednesday, I'm starting to think that the judges wasted their save.

I've thought that all along, actually.

Quote:
Going home: Definitely Lil. I have no idea who else.
Should go home: Based on last night, any of Anoop, Danny, or Matt would be fine.

I think it will be Anoop or Matt. I really think that Allison and Kris are fine for now.

::toasts you with my margarita::
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-29-2009 05:45 AM

That might have been one of the best hours in the history of the show, quality-wise. EVERYBODY was good. Varying levels of good, but still. And I really liked Jamie Foxx as a mentor. What the hell is going on here? I usually can't stand his obnoxious ass, but he was really sweet and involved with the contestants. In other strange news, I found that the judge I most agreed with last night was, of all people, Kara. I think she got it pretty much exactly right with everyone.

Kris - I like that he knows that he's not the best pure vocalist in the competition, nor does he try to be. He picked a great song, sang it really well, and sold the hell out of it. Loved this.

Man, Simon wants Kris gone, doesn't he? Shut up, Simon.

Allison - Fucking AMAZING. Like, one-of-the-best-performances-of-the-season amazing. Did Simon dip into Paula's quaalude stash before the show or something? Because this, "Well, it was great, but it also sucked" judging of his is pointless and stupid, and has nothing to do with anything. I've seen every season of the show, and Allison is the only teenager in its history who has a normal, cool personality and isn't either vapid or a precocious little stage-bot.

Shut UP, Simon.

Matt - This was the worst of the night, but go figure; it was still really good. Bad, BAD idea to sing this song, though, after Melinda did it a few seasons back. I actually liked the first half more than the second, because when he's not singing so many goddamned runs, his voice sounds lovely.

But Simon praised THIS over Allison and Kris? Because it was more "emotionally connected" or whatever it was? Matt was the only person I saw on the stage last night who didn't find an emotional selling point for the song. I am living in Bizarro World. Or Simon is, because that was the most blatant piece of bullshit judging I've heard from him in a while. I think he's got an agenda, and he wants Kris and Allison to go home before Matt. God forbid the judges look stupid for saving Matt only to have him last just two more weeks.

SHUT UP, SIMON.

Danny - As much as the Gokester chaps my ass, this was fantastic. His best performance on the show, and the best his voice has sounded in weeks. Terrific.

Oh, Randy. You're still under the impression that this is a singing competition? Come, let me explain a few things to you.

Adam - Of course he was amazing. And of course he had to go and do the Muse-inspired version of "Feeling Good" (did you call it or what, Tracy?) My one thing with him... I am dying to hear him sing something that sits lower in his register. Every time he does a ballad he sings the whole thing in head voice or falsetto, and on the up-tempo numbers he just kinda blows through the verses so he can wail on the chorus and go all Bruce Dickinson on our asses. I just want to hear a straight-up tenor vocal from him.

But that's ignoring what he actually did last night, which was be totally fucking amazing. That last note was ridiculous. Think the show was trying to tell us something with the angelic lighting and the white suit and the stairs? All that was missing was the confetti and a syrupy ballad about rainbows.

Anyway, rankings:

1. Allison
2. Adam & Danny (tie)
3. Kris

<gap>

4. Matt

Matt should go home, but I'm worried for Kris.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-29-2009 05:54 PM

I always hate following the brilliant and witty Acrobat, but here I go.

Rat Pack Standards. I'm not a huge fan of this genre, simply because I've heard the songs so many fucking times that I'm extremely sick of them.

The Spouse is excited though: “Nuthin' like flat terrain to show your fighting ability.”  Well look at that. He's a fan of Rat Pack music.  Learn something new every day. Huh.

Top Five.  Wow, this season has gone by fast.

Jamie Foxx!  Wow! Awesome.  Hey! Why's he using a voice box?  Whore.

A picture autographed by one of the Top 5?  Spouse: “What will we do without one?”

Kris: I wonder what Kris thinks about Ted Haggard?  I wonder if Kris now considers Adam one of his Gay Friends?  Yeah, I'm not gonna let that go.  I think he sang great.  The Spouse wasn't impressed, calling his performance “an imitation of Kris Allen.”  The judges are shooting sperm all over the table.  But Kris knows that Simon is right. He, himself, said he couldn't compete vocally with the others (I happen to think he sings better than Matt, and sometimes Danny).

Allison: She needs to just not talk anymore.  Does anyone know how old Allison is?  Her performance. Damn. I think that was fantastic.  Spouse: “That's what Kris was trying to do, and failed.”  How old is Allison?

I think that Simon is trying to manipulate the audience to vote for her.

Matt: Aww. The Spouse was hoping that Adam would sing this song, but I remind him of Adam's Machiavellian Fast Song/Slow Song plan.  Spouse: “Matt never knows—when he does something right—why he's doing it right.”  I think that Matt did OK. Sure, he had a few bad notes, but I liked the ending.  Poor Matt.  I'm so tired of watching him get negative feedback week after week.  Oh good! Nice comments from Paula and Simon.

I have to say, I love how Jamie is helping these kids.  He's so awesome.

“Your breath is fresh!”  OK, that's not something I thought I'd ever hear on American Idol.

Danny: I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do love his textured voice.  I enjoyed this, but Danny doesn't move me.  What the fuck is up with Randy tonight?  He keeps yelling! The Spouse promises to never again refer to Danny as an Idiot Savant.

Adam: OH wow!!  Perfect song!!!!!  Will he do the Muse version?  I can't wait!!!  Hurry up! Get to the song!!!!   …..............
Aww, he's strutting down the stairs.  Spouse: “The band is totally treating Adam like a Diva.”  hee!  OK, um.  His version with Jamie was . . . better.  But that ending?  Perfect.  And the beginning was beautiful.  Damn.  Except that he tended to rush this (thank God the band saved him) because it's like he couldn't wait to get to that ending because he was so excited about what he can do.  And the arrangement was a little clumsy.  And at one point, it's like he was trying to sound all bluesy and gravelly, but he sounded only growley.  Hey, this is live and it can't always be perfection.  But that ending? Perfection.  Spouse: “How do the Robert Smith moans add melodically?” haha!

It's getting hard to say who should go.  Kris was the worst tonight, but he's been consistently better than Matt, so I'll go with Matt.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 04-29-2009 06:03 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Man, Simon wants Kris gone, doesn't he? Shut up, Simon. . . . Did Simon dip into Paula's quaalude stash before the show or something? . . . But Simon praised THIS over Allison and Kris? . . . Or Simon is, because that was the most blatant piece of bullshit judging I've heard from him in a while. I think he's got an agenda, and he wants Kris and Allison to go home before Matt. God forbid the judges look stupid for saving Matt only to have him last just two more weeks.

You know, Simon made no sense to me last night either.  The only rationale I could give his remarks to Allison is that he's trying to scare people into voting for her because he wants her to stay.  Otherwise, I'm with you; he made no fucking sense at all.

He didn't even say much about Adam's performance. Just: great stair-walking.

Quote:
(did you call it or what, Tracy?)

I totally did!!!

Quote:
Matt should go home, but I'm worried for Kris.

I really don't think Kris has anything to worry about.  Matt is leaving.
RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 04-29-2009 06:04 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

That might have been one of the best hours in the history of the show, quality-wise. EVERYBODY was good.

Simon just agreed with you!

The video: These kids sure can take the soul out of a song, can't they?

That food fight? So obviously staged.
RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-29-2009 06:18 PM

Wow. Poor Adam. What a shitty thing to do to him.

Later: Natalie Cole is a shrieking banshee.

RE:  American Idol - SarahBeth - 04-29-2009 07:09 PM

Trathena Wrote:

Wow. Poor Adam. What a shitty thing to do to him.

Later:  Natalie Cole is a shrieking banshee.

Agreed about Adam.

and the Natalie Cole comment cracked my shit up.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-29-2009 07:10 PM

A shrieking banshee who needs to eat a sandwich. Or twelve. DAMN, Natalie.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 04-29-2009 07:17 PM

Adam in the bottom two. ADAM IN THE BOTTOM TWO.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 04-29-2009 07:27 PM

But: safe. Whew.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-06-2009 08:45 AM

I enjoyed almost everything about last night's show except the judges.

Adam - Holy SHIT I can't believe they cleared a Led Zeppelin song for this show. Wow. Just like you'd expect, this kicked ass. Bless Slash for warning Adam off of doing too much in his higher register, because I think he really would have overdone it otherwise (and who wouldn't, if you get a chance to sing Zeppelin on a stage like that and already have the voice to do it?) Best of the night by a mile.

Allison - I do wish she'd gone with Jefferson Airplane instead, but that said, I thought she was great. The judges, however, can go suck a nut. Randy criticized this song for being repetitve RIGHT AFTER "Whole Lotta Love"? Are you fucking serious? Good on my girl for defending herself, because if I'm sick of Simon talking about her supposed lack of personality. She's easily the coolest teenager they've ever had on the show. She's the opposite of those creepy Star Search performer-bots we've seen.

Danny & Kris duet - They looked like they didn't want to be singing together. The harmonies were good, but Danny is an absolute ass for shouting over Kris at the end. The point of a duet is to work WITH your partner, Danny. (Then again, Danny thinks that his partner is the camera.) I know it's a competition, but all Danny did was make the whole performance suffer by doing that. Couple that with Kris' pissed-off look, and I'm thinking that he didn't want to pick that song but got railroaded into it. Fuck off, Simon, because Danny was not better. They both hit some off notes, but if you're going on stage presence, Kris managed to work the mic stand without looking like a fish out of water.

Kris - This was so much better than the judges gave him credit for it's not even funny. The singing was good, I dug the arrangment (especially when the band dropped out on the third verse), and Kris managed to be himself while staying true to a theme that doesn't really suit him. Judges? Suck another nut.

Danny - The most awesome part of this episode came during the pre-performance clip. Did anyone see this? When Slash was all, "For this to work, Danny needs to nail that scream at the end. It could go either way," and then smirked at the camera? Fucking AWESOME. He knew Danny would tank on this, and he's right. I wondered if maybe Danny isn't a douchebag and he just comes across that way on TV, but Slash has now met the guy and still wanted him to fail. I consider this validation of my hatred. If Slash ain't cool with somebody, neither am I.

But really, what can you say to that? Dead-eyed, flat, he was dressed like a fucking accountant for Rock Night, and.... that scream. Jesus H. Christ in a chickenbasket. That scream is what Satan sounds like.

So, judges: you give Danny a pass ("A-plus for effort! It's okay, this theme doesn't suit you") for this? And not Kris, who was miles better in the same theme that is even more ill-suited to his voice than Danny's? Say it with me now, everyone: suck another nut. A big, hairy one.

Adam & Allison duet - Not a fan of this song, but this was so much fun to watch that I didn't care. Hey, Danny? See what Adam did there? It's called not showing up your partner by trying to either out-sing or sing over them. And guess what? It makes the whole performance, and by extension, you, look better!

Should go home: Danny.
Will go home: Kris. Dammit.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-06-2009 05:50 PM

I am so happy with this top four. Every one of them deserves to be here. There is no one who was voted off that should be here instead of these four. I am just really satisfied with how this contest has turned out this season.

Rock night!

Collapsing stage!

No run-through for the contestants!

News about Paula! Spouse: “Poor Paula.” giggle.  [it turns out that she will be thrust upon us tonight. ugh.]

Slash!  He's whoring his solo album!  God I love him.  The look on Allison's face is priceless.  She's about to die.

Adam: OK, that was fucking perfect.  There's just not much else to be said here. That was perfect.

Allison: God, she sounds great in rehearsals!  Spouse: “Her only mistake was in timing, not pitch.”  I think she did fantastic.  I love that she chose “Cry Baby” instead of “Piece of my Heart.”  Unfortunately, Allison took all the negative from what Simon said and none of the positive.

Duets: Kris and Danny.  They actually sound good together.  Randy is right about the harmonies.  Spouse: “I dare say the singers did better than the band.”  heh. He's angry about a certain riff that the drummer didn't supply.  Simon's right that Danny was better than Kris.  Aww, Kris looks crushed.  Aww, Danny put his arm around him.

Kris: What's he gonna sing? “Spirit in the Sky”?  Heh.  “Come Together”?  I think this will be a disaster.  Spouse: “Somebody woke the drummer up.”  haha.  It's funny because I still don't know what he means…..........Spouse: “You can't country music this.”  I was thinking, “You can't singer/songwriter this, Kris.”  Paula has the nicest way of telling Kris he sucked.  I personally don't think his performance was that much of a disaster.  But it wasn't fantastic.

Unneeded Kara is wearing a Mullet Ponytail.

Okey Dokey Hokey Gokey is singing “Dream On”??  He'll be great!  Maybe.  And now we stop for bathroom breaks and drinks refreshers..................... Mmmm, club soda and lime....

Is it just me, or would an Ours cover of "Dream On" be fucking kick-ass stunning?  …..........  I love Danny's voice. I can't help it.  And I enjoyed this.  Spouse: “He missed the chance to be a really good Danny to try to be a second-rate Adam.”  I was disappointed that he didn't sing the bridge.  You know the part: "I know, nobody knows where it comes and where it goes."  He would have sounded great there.  His ending wasn't perfect, of course.

Oh! Danny isn't used to the judges not jacking off to his performance! He's not taking this well.  Hee!

Duet, part deux: Allison and Adam.  Adam is singing harmony to Allison.  The Spouse says, traditionally that's what you give to the better singer. Indeed.  That was fucking awesome.  They kicked butt all over Danny and Kris.

It pains me to say it, but Kris should go tonight.  Kris is as good now as he was in Hollywood.  He's great! But he's not improved at all.  Allison has improved enormously. So, yeah, she should stay another week, and then go.

The top two should be Danny and Adam, and Adam should win.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-06-2009 06:02 PM

Oh, and also? When Simon told Adam that he may have helped Allison stay in the competition another week? Adam said, "I hope so." haha. That was pretty revealing, wasn't it?

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 05-06-2009 06:16 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Adam - Holy SHIT I can't believe they cleared a Led Zeppelin song for this show. Wow.

I know! And they let him sing the correct lyrics! They didn't make him skip any "dirty" lyrics.

Quote:
Allison - She's easily the coolest teenager they've ever had on the show. She's the opposite of those creepy Star Search performer-bots we've seen.

Remember that Diana Deguarmo kid? She was 16, right? That girl . . . so obviously the victim of a Hollywood Mom.

Quote:
Danny & Kris duet - Couple that with Kris' pissed-off look, . . .

I thought he looked sad and a little worried. And he was about to have to perform after that, so maybe he was distracted too. I didn't see "pissed-off."  And Danny looked very uncomfortable when Simon said he did better.

Quote:
Danny - I wondered if maybe Danny isn't a douchebag and he just comes across that way on TV, . . .

Hon, no. He's a douchebag. ;-)

Quote:
Jesus H. Christ in a chickenbasket. That scream is what Satan sounds like.

hahaha! You're as bad as me.

Quote:
Will go home: Kris. Dammit.

haha! Oh, well, as least we agree about Allison and Adam!

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-06-2009 06:31 PM

Hee. I admit that I'm biased, but I also did admit that Danny was fantastic last week, so I don't think I'm THAT blinded. But I heard "Come Together" on the radio on the way home, which prompted me to give Kris' version another few listens. And... man, his arrangement was fucking FANTASTIC. Lots of really great subtle stuff happening there. Rocked-out but funky, dropping the band in the third verse, the changes in the melody... it got better on subsequent listens. I just like Kris better than Danny because (aside from the obvious personality issues) Kris is not a karaoke singer. Danny is. A very, very good karaoke singer, but still.

Quote:
Remember that Diana Deguarmo kid?

Boy do I. She's from a town about five minutes from where I live. I couldn't escape that girl. But yeah, total pageant-bot.
RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-06-2009 06:38 PM

KRIS!!!!!!!!!!

Erin, you must be thrilled.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-06-2009 06:42 PM

FUCK YEAH I'm thrilled. Woot! That reaction was almost as cute as Adam and Allison hugging last night after they sang together.

Get on AIM, girl!

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-06-2009 06:55 PM

FUCK.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-06-2009 06:58 PM

Yeah. Yeah, I feel the same way. It took me awhile for this girl to grow on me, but she sure did.

Maybe she'll do what Joss Stone should have done, you know? She's our next Fiona Apple.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-06-2009 07:00 PM

That was the classiest sing-off I think I've ever seen on this show.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 05-06-2009 07:01 PM

Acrobat Wrote:
Get on AIM, girl!

I would, but I'm running on four hours of sleep! I saw Tony Lucca last night and got home around 3:00am and worked today. So I've got to crash.
RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-07-2009 06:46 AM

Dammit, i ALWAYS miss the Erin/Trathena show. That's what happens when the boy comes over, apparently. *giggle*

Pissed Allison went, pissed Danny is still there. And pissed because since the judges don't know how to STFU, they're singing 2 songs next week, not 3.

Quote:
Is it just me, or would an Ours cover of "Dream On" be fucking kick-ass stunning?

Uh, that would fucking RULE. Because unlike Danny, Jimmy has the chops to hit those notes. And the scream at the end? *dies*

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-07-2009 06:53 AM

I personally... don't think I'd love OURS covering "Dream On." I know it's a great song, but it's also an incredibly overplayed song, so much so that I kind of can't appreciate how good it is anymore. That's part of the reason I rolled my eyes when I found out that Danny was singing (the other part, of course, was knowing that he'd try and fail to hit that note).

I do agree with you, Trathena, that Danny cut out the best part of the song. "I know, nobody knows...." That whole bit. Instead we got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6wiYAJjaGo

Adam/Kris final FTW, y'all.

RE:  American Idol - distorted lullaby - 05-07-2009 11:45 AM

Acrobat Wrote:

I personally... don't think I'd love OURS covering "Dream On." I know it's a great song, but it's also an incredibly overplayed song, so much so that I kind of can't appreciate how good it is anymore. That's part of the reason I rolled my eyes when I found out that Danny was singing (the other part, of course, was knowing that he'd try and fail to hit that note).

I do agree with you, Trathena, that Danny cut out the best part of the song. "I know, nobody knows...." That whole bit. Instead we got this:

Oh my gosh. I don't watch AI... but I had no idea that a performance could be that unfortunate.
RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-07-2009 01:07 PM

haha. I liked Danny's attitude about it, though. Quite a good sense of humour and self-deprecating.

RE: American Idol - northstar80 - 05-07-2009 06:58 PM

Tee-hee! I laughed when Danny said that people are creating a ring-tone using his screech, and I loved Randy's attempt to describe it: "Dude, you had like three different notes jumping off there..." lol

RE:   American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-07-2009 07:03 PM

distorted lullaby Wrote:

Acrobat Wrote:

Oh my gosh. I don't watch AI... but I had no idea that a performance could be that unfortunate.

Oh Danny's performance was BAD.....I mean, cats being slaughtered and everything.
RE: American Idol - thisotherkingdom - 05-08-2009 01:42 PM

Was I the only one to hear Kara suggest to Danny that he should've gone with earlier Aerosmith and then suggest either "Crazy" or "Amazing"?

I don't think Danny could've gotten any earlier than their DEBUT ALBUM.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-08-2009 01:56 PM

I caught that. I'd just talked so much already, I decided to let that go.  Look, this is the vapid MTV-VJ-wannabe who said: "I've got six words for you: one of the best performances of the night."

But now that I'm being rude: Paula's performance? Oh God, the voice box. And the lip-synching. The Brittany dancing. I predicted that.

Me: "Oh God! She's half naked and dancing around with boys young enough to be her grandkids! Pervy!"

Spouse: "Now honey, that was a running fantasy all through my puberty." [PeterBradyVoiceCracking]Here's your paper, Mrs. Robinson[/PeterBradyVoiceCracking]

Me: "haha! Fair enough."

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-08-2009 03:00 PM

You're not the only one who heard it, thisotherkingdom. I'm not sure if Kara is just an airhead or a complete idiot. Maybe a little of both, but I assume that what she MEANT was along the lines of, "You shouldn't have sung early Aerosmith. Try something from Get a Grip."

But then I think about "I've got six words for you" and "Studio 57" and not knowing the difference between Saturday Night Live and Saturday Night Fever, and... yeah. Total idiot.

RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-09-2009 07:28 AM

I thought Kara was going to add a lot to the judges panel....besides making Paula look smart. I am CONSTANTLY telling her to STFU when she's talking because I don't want to hear it.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-09-2009 09:41 AM

Remember when bikini girl* auditioned, and Kara stood up and tried to show her "how it's done," and only succeeded in making her look better?

*Mark my words, bikini girl will be in Playboy, then porn, then . . . gone.

RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-12-2009 07:39 PM

Ok.

Kris was fucking amazing tonight.

He goes home tomorrow night, I will be SERIOUSLY upset. Danny goes home, and I'll dance for joy.

That is all.

RE: American Idol - thisotherkingdom - 05-12-2009 07:48 PM

I honestly couldn't guess who's going home tomorrow.

I think Danny and Kris has awful song choices by the judges to contend with, and both did nothing with them.

Adam had the best song choice by the judges, and as big of a fan as I am of him, it was way too "broadway" for my liking. I know the broadway adjective to describe Adam is cliche at this point...but that's what he is.

All three had stellar second performances, which makes it so hard for me to guess who'll be eliminated. I still wish Adam had sung Dream On instead of Danny last week.

Kris' "Heartless" performance was probably my favorite of the night.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-13-2009 01:19 PM

First off: the judges need to shut the fuck up. This show is not about them.

ROUND ONE

Danny - It actually took me a minute to remember exactly what song he sang (nice choice, Paula). I mean, he did fine, but with a song like that, who gives a shit? Kara got one thing right in the midst of her obnoxiousness - nobody's going to remember that after the fact. Except the aggressively crotchy dancing, which is now burned into my brain for eternity. Goddammit.

Kris - A respectable cover of a good song, but haven't the judges figured out by now that when you pick a song that is square in a contestant's wheelhouse, the results are lackluster? Pick something counterintuitive (Roberta Flack for David Cook last year, anyone?) and you might be surprised by awesomeness. Which Kris of course has already figured out for himself and would illustrate my point so nicely in his second song.

Adam - Hoh boy. All righty, here goes: I love U2 but have no special attachment to "One." I'm all for messing with the arrangment and doing something different to it, and I'm all for someone like Adam singing it, because I haven't heard Bono pull off a decent version of this since the Popmart tour. And this? Was just not good. The first half was gorgeous, but as soon as the band kicked in full-force, it was an unmitigated disaster. Waaaaay too much of the high register there with no rhyme or reason to it.

If there's one thing Adam really needs to learn, it's when to exercise restraint. He did so last week on Slash's advice, and it was fucking awesome. He did so on Motown week and with "Mad World," and you got my two favorite performances of his. It's one thing to put a big note at the end, but "One" did not need the Rob Halford thing done to it. Just because he can sing those notes doesn't mean that he always should, y'know? Take a cue from Jimmy, Adam -- every scream needs to mean something.

It just sounded weird, and Adam's voice sounded off for the first time since I've seen him on the show. Strange.

ROUND TWO:

Danny - It's Up With the People, starring Joe Cocker! A good vocal from him, but way too breathy and wobbly (not off-pitch, just wobbly) to be a vocal "masterclass," Simon. That, and I fucking hate that song with the passion of thousand burning suns. I can't be objective here, so I'm not going to try.

Kris - Geeeeeeeeeenius. I can't even tell y'all how much I love it when somebody turns a rap or R&B song into an acoustic jam. Fucking fantastic. One of my favorite performances of the season, actually. It's amazing how much he's grown on me over the season. He started off as the blandly-cute-but-strangely-likable cannon fodder, and now I think I'd be really happy to see him win. Way to go, my little Hobbit Idol!

Adam - I dunno who decided to turn up the backup singer's mic, but whoever's responsible needs to be fired. Along with the singer herself, because she just fucked over one of the favorites with her off-key warbling. Which in turn affected Adam's performance, so I can't fairly pass judgment on it. And the judges couldn't point it out either without looking like assholes. Bigger assholes than they already are, I mean.

Is going home: I haven't the slightest clue.

RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-13-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:
First off: the judges need to shut the fuck up. This show is not about them.

Oh Erin, I love you (and you're right). The fact they couldn't fit six songs into an hour without going over because the judges can't STFU is absurd.

Danny should go home, but honestly, any of the three could go. Its so tight, its going to be a nail biter of a results show.
RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-13-2009 05:02 PM

Danny: Paula chose a very difficult song for Danny to sing.  I don't like this song at all, so I'm hesitant to say anything negative.  I can't tell if it's Danny performing badly or song suckage.

Kris: They soft balled his song. This is very easy for him.  I think he did fantastic, though.  The Spouse and I were surprised to hear Paula say he had a “loud” bad note.  We must not know the song enough to recognize the bad note.

So now Kara has to play with Simon because Paula got some attention earlier.  Whatever, camera whore.

Adam: “One”??? Oh my God! Oh my God!!!!!  Did Simon set a motherfucker up, or what??..................................I didn't like that arrangement at all. For the first time this season, I can say that I didn't care for his performance.  Yeah, Kara, he sang it in a completely different way, but the arrangement was bad.  Kara just used Adam to make some kind of point with Simon.  She's such a great judge.  I think Adam sang really well, but that arrangement, bleh. I'll need to listen to this again. Spouse: “If we hold Adam to higher standards [which we do], it's a sub-standard performance, but up against everyone else? He did the best.”  Fair enough.

Idol Gives Back.  Fucking Carrie Underwood.  The Spouse always calls her “Scary Underwear” and “Harry Underarms,” and it never, ever gets old.  I'm not being sarcastic. We're 12.

Danny, part deux: OK, this is perfect for him.  And he sang it perfectly.  His voice is like cinnamon hazelnut coffee with no sugar.  Simon is right. Perfection.  But to the sighing little girls getting all giggly?  Honey, marriage to Danny would be church, birthing babies, and missionary sex your entire life.  Fair warning.

Kris, part deux: Come on, Kris, do good for Erin.  Goddamn! Check out dude with a guitar singing this song!  This was fantastic. Good job!  He really did extremely well.

Adam, part deux: OK, to me this was not Adam's night.  The background singers were off-putting. The guitar was whiny.  That being said, Adam sounded great.  Spouse: “At this point he's phoning it in.”  haha!  Adam is relying way too much on his ability to belt.  I've always complained about the glory notes with the female adult contemporary singers on this show, so I'll say it here too.  I wish he'd just cool it for a song or two.

Predictions:
Of course, I think Adam must be put through.  Regarding Kris and Danny: I'm not going to make a prediction. I don't want to see either of them get eliminated.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 05-13-2009 05:17 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Adam - Hoh boy. All righty, here goes: I love U2 but have no special attachment to "One."

haha! "One" is in my top ten favorite songs of all time!

I just listened to this again, and it's not really fair for me to say I like it better the second time around because this time I knew what to expect and so I didn't find it so jarring. But I like it the second time around.

I have to add, though, my husband pointed out to me that Simon chose which verses Adam would sing, and . . . pay attention to those verses.  Quite political and meaningful right now for gays and lesbians. I love Simon for that.

Quote:
If there's one thing Adam really needs to learn, it's when to exercise restraint. . . . Just because he can sing those notes doesn't mean that he always should, y'know? Take a cue from Jimmy, Adam -- every scream needs to mean something.

This is uncanny because I said the same thing after Adam's second song! I said, "God, not even Jimmy belts it out in every song!"

Quote:
Adam - I dunno who decided to turn up the backup singer's mic, but whoever's responsible needs to be fired. Along with the singer herself, because she just fucked over one of the favorites with her off-key warbling.

Yeah, I sure hope he doesn't get burned because of it.
RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-13-2009 05:38 PM

Hehe, Trathena, I've been wondering where your review from last night was. I've been stalking the board all day looking for it.

OMG, its 25 minutes until the results show and I cannot DEAL with this. I am SO nervous. Christ. I wasn't even this nervous about David Cook last year.

Quote:
So now Kara has to play with Simon because Paula got some attention earlier. Whatever, camera whore.

Kara seriously needs to STFU and DIAF. All she's done this season is make Paula look smart. And annoy the rest of us.

Quote:
Idol Gives Back. Fucking Carrie Underwood. The Spouse always calls her “Scary Underwear” and “Harry Underarms,” and it never, ever gets old. I'm not being sarcastic. We're 12.

*snort* I love your spouse. That is all.(and i still love that you refer to him as The Spouse and not hubby or by name)

Quote:

But to the sighing little girls getting all giggly? Honey, marriage to Danny would be church, birthing babies, and missionary sex your entire life. Fair warning.

Ugh, that is an image I did NOT need, kthx.

Quote:
Kris, part deux: Come on, Kris, do good for Erin. Goddamn! Check out dude with a guitar singing this song! This was fantastic. Good job! He really did extremely well.

I thought Kris was fanfuckingtastic last night. Especially the 2nd song. I think he may have picked up a LOT of casual voters with that.

*checks clock* 20 minutes and counting...

God dammit. There's a reason the boy's not over tonight. He'd either a) make fun of me or b) want to pitch me and my computer out the window and lock me out.
RE:   American Idol - Acrobat - 05-13-2009 06:22 PM

Trathena Wrote:

haha! "One" is in my top ten favorite songs of all time!

Hee. "One" is on my favorite album of all time. See my screenname? Not an accident. ;)

Quote:
I have to add, though, my husband pointed out to me that Simon chose which verses Adam would sing, and . . . pay attention to those verses.  Quite political and meaningful right now for gays and lesbians. I love Simon for that.

That part is really cool, and I actually did like the arrangment. I just didn't like how Adam sang the second half of it.

Quote:
This is uncanny because I said the same thing after Adam's second song! I said, "God, not even Jimmy belts it out in every song!"

Out of my head, lady!

Quote:
Yeah, I sure hope he doesn't get burned because of it.

And the sad thing is, he might. I talked to someone today who said that "Cryin'" seemed off, but she didn't know why. I mentioned the backup singer and she didn't remember it. Sabotage? *shifty eyes*
RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-13-2009 06:22 PM

OK, that girl running after Danny's car? She will never live that down. Nor should she.

As is well known by now. I hate the entire South and everyone in it. So, I officially hate Kris.

RE:    American Idol - Trathena - 05-13-2009 06:26 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

And the sad thing is, he might. I talked to someone today who said that "Cryin'" seemed off, but she didn't know why. I mentioned the backup singer and she didn't remember it. Sabotage? *shifty eyes*

I think Adam is safe tonight. Kris and Danny will split the Christian vote.

However, now that it's Danny or Kris, I truly think that Adam will probably lose the entire thing, which will be a very, very good thing for him.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-13-2009 06:27 PM

That means you hate me, then?

*puppy dog eyes*

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 05-13-2009 06:28 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

That means you hate me, then?

*puppy dog eyes*

HELL NO!

I was misunderstood, I tell ya. And it was hysterical.
RE:     American Idol - Acrobat - 05-13-2009 06:34 PM

Trathena Wrote:

Kris and Danny will split the Christian vote.

I dunno -- Kris has been awfully quiet about his faith, which I like. I read something where he said he didn't want to "push God onto anybody," which is why I'm totally cool with his brand of Christianity -- reminds me of my Mom. Heh. Danny, however, can take his cult and go the fuck home.
RE:      American Idol - Trathena - 05-13-2009 06:40 PM

Acrobat Wrote:
I read something where he said he didn't want to "push God onto anybody,"

Kris is a member of New Life Church (founded by Ted Haggard) and was in a college fraternity (founded by John Ashcroft) whose stated goal is to "reconcile students to Jesus Christ, and thereby transform the university, the marketplace, and the world."  Kris was a missionary. That seems kind of pushy to me.

Quote:
Danny, however, can take his cult and go the fuck home.

They're both in cults. :-)
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-13-2009 06:47 PM

Eh, I'll take that with a grain of salt. Mom went to a Southern Baptist church, which is as scary as they come. Heh. Except she's not insane and doesn't preach to anybody. If Adam and Kris have managed to become good friends while Adam went out of his way to mention that he and Danny "don't agree on a lot of things"....

Put the Go in Gokey!

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-13-2009 06:53 PM

Whoa! I'd love to see that interview where Adam said that. Gotta link? Because, yeah, I can see Danny being insufferable.

Katy Perry sucks live. This is the second time I've seen her live and she sucks so badly. And for the life of me I can't understand why gay men love her so much.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-13-2009 06:57 PM

ERIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-13-2009 07:03 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Perfect finale.

YEAH, BABY!

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/...peek_N.htm

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-13-2009 07:05 PM

OK, my thoughts:

If Danny had made it, this contest would be closer. Performance-wise, I think Adam will blow Kris away (sorry Erin!). Kris will do some beautiful things next week, no doubt. But Adam will just be better. He's better at the craft at this point. He's a better singer than Kris.

But that doesn't mean Adam will win. Kris now has the entire Christian vote and the "he's so cute" vote.

So, we'll see.

RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-13-2009 07:57 PM

Sorry Trathena, I have to disagree with you. I think that Kris is going to give Adam a real run for his money. I love the two of them are in the finale and they really like each other. I feel like its almost Cook and Archie again all over again. They'll both have good careers (but different) and will both do well.

Next week is going to be bittersweet. At this time next week, David will no longer be the reigning Idol. And while that makes me sad, I know that he's well on his way to a fabulous career.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-14-2009 03:54 AM

Hey Sarah. No need to be sorry. I hope I'm wrong, because that will make the competition more interesting.  Good comparison to the Davids. That final was soooo good because both were so talented and did so well.

Remember finals like Fantasia and Diana? Or the one with that blonde guy and that girl who sang last night? (it's early and i can't remember names.) That's what I don't want with Adam and Kris, but it could happen if Kris doesn't really work hard. And it wouldn't appear that way because Kris isn't talented! It would be because Adam is so amazing.

I know it sounds lame, but at this point it doesn't matter who wins. They'll both have fantastic careers.

Danny will too, with a Christian label.

RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-14-2009 07:31 AM

I think Kris will really do well and the final will be awesome and a tough choice and a close vote for them both. I don't know if I'm going to handle it too well without a lot of liquor (I wasn't even this nervous last year for David!) but it'll still be good. :)

And btw, Trathena, you're brave to be posting that early - with or without coffee. ;)

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-18-2009 09:29 AM

After seeing this douche-y, shameful display from Sarver and Gokey (about 45 seconds in, when they decide that they must qualify their love for each other as being in the "right" and "Godly" way), I think it's an utter miracle that Adam didn't fucking stab either of their sorry asses while they were all forced to live together. I wouldn't have had that kind of grace or self-discipline.

What a nasty, passive-aggressive thing to say from those twats. Ugh.

Edit: Sarver took the video down and issued a half-assed "apology." The whole wording if it is gross -- "Sorry if I offended anybody. In a world where 'I love you' between guys can mean two different things, I just wanted to clarify the status of our relationship." Give me a fucking break. Danny's a widower and Sarver is married with kids. How much more "clarification" does someone need? They're both utterly clueless.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-18-2009 12:59 PM

OK, which one was Sarver. Sorry, but I barely know anyone's last names.

And what actually happened? The video's been taken down.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-18-2009 01:01 PM

Oh wait! He's that asshole who worked on the oil rig, or whatever? The one I said reminded me of every bully I'd ever met?

That guy? Well, if he was acting all homophobic, I'm not surprised.

What the hell happened? And why isn't shit like this license for removal from the contest?

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-18-2009 01:04 PM

Michael Sarver, the oil rig guy. He put up a video during what looked like a break in rehearsals for the finale -- Gokey, Anoop, Scott, Alexis, and a few others hanging out in some kind of dance studio. He walks up to Danny first and does the, "Say hi to the Myspace fans!" thing. Danny obliges, and the conversation goes like this:

Danny: "Man, I love this guy [pointing to the camera, i.e., Sarver] to pieces." [realizes what he just said] "I mean, in the... in the right..."

Sarver: "In the Godly way."

Danny: "Yeah, in the Godly way."

They were both laughing about it. Asshats. Seriously, there is more wrong with that exchange than I even care to dissect right now. Then Gokey manhandled Allison some more, and it was gross.

Edit: And this is why I give Kris so much more of a pass than Gokey (and now Sarver) when it comes to their religious beliefs. I mean, Kris speaks fondly of his "roomie" and let Adam paint his fingernails (eat that, Randy Travis), for chrissakes. How freaking cute is that?

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-18-2009 01:07 PM

Found it. I knew it'd be on one of my favorite sites:

http://www.towleroad.com/2009/05/danny-gokey-loves-michael-sarver-to-piecesin-a-godly-way.html

Um . . . yeah. That's pretty fucking hateful. Did you see his face? He's all, "The right way," and then he makes this face like any other way would be disgusting.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-18-2009 01:10 PM

Seriously. I'd have shanked his ass if I had to live with that for several months.

"Godly"? Are they fucking serious?

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-18-2009 01:14 PM

Here's the best quote from the Towleroad comments section:

"Sorry, fellas, but if there is a God, he obviously likes the Gay guy and the Christian dude who seems to have no problem with gay guys. They’re the ones who made it to the Finale."

LOL!

Oh! And did you notice that Adam and Kris are nowhere on that tape?

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-18-2009 01:15 PM

Heee. Awesome. I'm also a fan of the, "Have fun playing bar mitzvahs and weddings" bit. Though I would never hire anybody with the singing "talent" of Sarver to sing at my wedding. At least he's got the winning personality to make up for it, though, right?

Adam and Kris are probably rehearsing for the Final 2 show and/or learning the shitty (I'm only guessing here) coronation song for the winner. I'd assume everyone else is practicing for the group numbers.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 05-18-2009 01:19 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Edit: And this is why I give Kris so much more of a pass than Gokey (and now Sarver) when it comes to their religious beliefs. I mean, Kris speaks fondly of his "roomie" and let Adam paint his fingernails (eat that, Randy Travis), for chrissakes. How freaking cute is that?

OK, yeah, I'm gonna shut up about Kris' religious beliefs until or if (and it's seeming more and more like there will never be an "if") I learn there's something to talk about.  I do admit to having bad, bad vibes from his chosen church and fraternity, but he's said and done nothing that has offended me on this show. Unlike these other two.

I may like Gokey's singing, but, damn, he's a horrid little man.

And Adam saying, "We're different. In every way." That pretty much tells me all I need to know.
RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 05-18-2009 01:21 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

Though I would never hire anybody with the singing "talent" of Sarver to sing at my wedding.

Gokey will do the weddings, though I think he'd decline bar mitzvahs, them being Jesus killers and all.

Sarver will do state fairs and the annual block party bbq.

Quote:
Adam and Kris are probably rehearsing for the Final 2 show and/or learning the shitty (I'm only guessing here) coronation song for the winner. I'd assume everyone else is practicing for the group numbers.

Ahh, yes. That's right. And, of course, the coronation song will be shitty, darling.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-18-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:
OK, yeah, I'm gonna shut up about Kris' religious beliefs until or if (and it's seeming more and more like there will never be an "if") I learn there's something to talk about. I do admit to having bad, bad vibes from his chosen church and fraternity, but he's said and done nothing that has offended me on this show.

Yeah, by all accounts he's a total sweetheart. And the nail polish thing just pushed me over the top. Heh. Adorable.

Quote:
Ahh, yes. That's right. And, of course, the coronation song will be shitty, darling.

Oh man, you weren't around for some of the earlier seasons' coronation songs. David Cook's "Time of My Life" is probably the best one of the bunch, and that's still taking into account the lyrics about a magic rainbow. Shall I give you a sample of the song titles?

"Flying Without Wings"
"This is My Now"
"Do I Make You Proud?"

And, of course, the pièce de résistance...

"Inside Your Heaven"

Make your own jokes.
RE:  American Idol - distorted lullaby - 05-18-2009 02:01 PM

Trathena Wrote:

Found it. I knew it'd be on one of my favorite sites:

http://www.towleroad.com/2009/05/danny-gokey-loves-michael-sarver-to-piecesin-a-godly-way.html

Um . . . yeah. That's pretty fucking hateful. Did you see his face? He's all, "The right way," and then he makes this face like any other way would be disgusting.

Fuckers. Clearly they have the respect and intelligence of middle school children.
RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-18-2009 03:42 PM

Dammit. I managed to miss the Erin and Trathena show. *pouts*

Gokey has always been a fucker and Sarver never really rubbed off on me either.

Erin I don't doubt you would have killed them both (or had them arrested on some made up charge, because that's how you roll)

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-18-2009 05:23 PM

You're on to something here.

The charge: Felonious Douchebaggery.

RE:  American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-18-2009 05:34 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

You're on to something here.

The charge: Felonious Douchebaggery.

*snort* I love it.

And that is the best charge ever.

*high fives you*
RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 05-18-2009 06:32 PM

Acrobat Wrote:
Felonious Douchebaggery.

Oh my God. If only . . . if only that was an actual crime in this country.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-18-2009 06:37 PM

*high-fives you both*

I know, right? This place would be so much better if being a tool were a felony. Then again, our prisons are already overcrowded as it is. Maybe we could just put a giant fence around one state and put them all in there. Would anyone really miss, like, Wyoming?

RE:   American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-18-2009 06:42 PM

Trathena Wrote:

Acrobat Wrote:
Felonious Douchebaggery.

Oh my God. If only . . . if only that was an actual crime in this country.

God, that would be great.

And I hope the board gets fixed soon, dammit.
RE:  American Idol - distorted lullaby - 05-19-2009 02:40 AM

Acrobat Wrote:

*high-fives you both*

I know, right? This place would be so much better if being a tool were a felony. Then again, our prisons are already overcrowded as it is. Maybe we could just put a giant fence around one state and put them all in there. Would anyone really miss, like, Wyoming?

HAHA! You're fantastic.
RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 05-19-2009 05:07 AM

Acrobat Wrote:
Then again, our prisons are already overcrowded as it is.

We just need to let the drug users go, and there'd be plenty of room left for the douche bags. But I like your other idea just as much.

Quote:
Maybe we could just put a giant fence around one state and put them all in there. Would anyone really miss, like, Wyoming?

Can I make a suggestion? Wyoming is too pretty. I pick Oklahoma. Most douche bags like Sarver and Gokey (when you really get to know their politics) don't have a problem with how we exiled the Native Americans there, so let's do the same to them and see if they change their tune.
RE:   American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-19-2009 08:13 AM

Trathena Wrote:

Acrobat Wrote:
Then again, our prisons are already overcrowded as it is.

We just need to let the drug users go, and there'd be plenty of room left for the douche bags. But I like your other idea just as much.

Quote:
Maybe we could just put a giant fence around one state and put them all in there. Would anyone really miss, like, Wyoming?

Can I make a suggestion? Wyoming is too pretty. I pick Oklahoma. Most douche bags like Sarver and Gokey (when you really get to know their politics) don't have a problem with how we exiled the Native Americans there, so let's do the same to them and see if they change their tune.

*Snicker* I love your suggestion, Trathena! Great idea! Maybe we should shove them up to like, Alaska or something.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-19-2009 09:24 AM

Nah, Alaska's too pretty, too. And think of the polar bears! (Actually, if they eat people....)

But no, I think Tracy's right. Oklaholma it is! Either that or Mississippi, I think. Do we really need Mississippi? I think not. We've already got to deal with Louisiana and Alabama as it is, and Mississippi is just more of the same with, like, fewer teeth. It's redundant and a pain in the ass to type out.

(And I'm from Georgia, so I've earned the right to make fun of my neighboring shitty states.)

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-19-2009 03:09 PM

Oh! Oh! Texas wants to secede!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCLz7XQOIOQ

Why don't we send them there!

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-19-2009 06:09 PM

And we're off! The final show! For the first time this season, I'm not recording it!

Adam: I'm so glad he picked this song to open with. And he's not just mimicking how he sang it last time; he's changing it and god it's beautiful.

Kris: He looks the same now as he did when he was a kid! hee! This was a very good performance, but not incredibly moving.  Spouse: “He did everything that he wanted to do. Not execution-wise, but conception-wise.” I don't think he outperformed Adam, but he did very well.

Adam, part deux: Wow. Brilliant song choice.  It's so clear that Adam pays attention to what he sings, isn't it?  Spouse: “That had to be a curve ball; it's so not his tradition.”  I agree, that song is fucking difficult, and he nailed it.  Adam is so calm, isn't he? He's in complete control and singing perfectly.

And Paula is so drunk, isn't she?  She's completely oblivious and behaving ridiculously.

Kris, part deux: OK, he seems kind of off-key.  Or more specifically, he became off-key in the middle of the song.  Spouse: “He didn't disgrace himself there, but something's wrong when I'm listening to him, but thinking: 'wow, that's a great bass player.'”  It's great that Kris can play two instruments and all, but he didn't blow me away here.  And he knows he lost this round.

Wrong, drunk-ass Paula! He wasn't as good as Marvin Gay!

Hey, Sarver! Do you have un-Godly love for Anoop's knee?  Sarver's all, “See? I can touch a guy!”  Spouse: "Scott disapproves of all of it. All of it!"

And it's Shitty Single Time.  Am I right that they can't rearrange the single? They have to sing it as it's written?

Adam, part trois: He doesn't sound very sure of himself here.  And the song is in the wrong key for his voice.  And the background singers sound horrid.  Spouse: “If he had only had Dokken behind him, right?”  I laugh and pretend to know who Dokken is.  I don't think that Adam is happy with this performance.  UnneededKara was quite gracious, however! Wow.

And Adam's done. Good for him.  He has nothing to regret.  What a fucking amazing kid.

Kris, part trois: OK, he's struggling too.  And he forgot some words.  So goddamn UnneededKara wrote a song that doesn't fit well with either of the finalists' vocal range?  Whatever.  Kris is doing better here than Adam.  But he's not happy with his performance either.

And Kris is done.  And he's done incredibly well.  Well done Kris. Spouse: "Kris deserves to be there. And he should get props for his instrumental skills." Indeed.

This has been fun!  Adam deserves to win.  However, I do think that for the first time in AI history, I'll be buying the finalists' albums.

RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-19-2009 06:48 PM

Ok.

I thought that the coronation song sucked ass. Honestly. It was too high for Kris and Adam I thought screeched through it.

But I loved Kris and Adam and I love them both. I'm happy with whomever wins. And on that note, I can't get through on Kris's lines at ALL.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-19-2009 06:55 PM

How much do I hate that the contestants weren't allowed to close the show with their own personal song choice? Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis muuuuuuuuuuch.

Round 1: Adam was great, but I kinda agreed with Simon here. The production was too much. I liked "Ain't No Sunshine" more this time around, so I agreed there that Kris won round 1. They were both fantastic, though.

Round 2: Of course, give Adam the "moment" song. *rolls eyes at producers* See, I have this thing about Sam Cooke. I think he's the most perfect singer EVER, and I really wish Adam had dialed this one back a bit and restrained himself, because I felt like he oversang a song that didn't need to be oversung. The lyrics and melody are enough, and Adam could have KILLED this, but I thought he overdid it. Kris did as well as he possibly could have with a song that is not well-suited to this type of competition. Personally, I preferred Kris, but objectively, this round is a tie. I thought Kris performed better, but Adam had the better song. Call this one a wash.

Round 3: Neither of them could overcome this steaming pile of shit. Arrrrrrgggggg. Can't judge it fairly, here. Both of them seemed a little off, for good reason. Suck it, Kara.

Overall, I'll be happy with either guy winning. Great final 2, HORRIBLE coronation song.

Quote:
However, I do think that for the first time in AI history, I'll be buying the finalists' albums.

Same here. Though I must highly recommend any of Kelly Clarkson's albums. Catchy pop-rock by someone who can sing her ass off? Yes, please.
RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 05-19-2009 07:02 PM

SarahBeth Wrote:

Ok.

I thought that the coronation song sucked ass.

Yep. Perfect description. Sucked.Ass.

Quote:
Honestly. It was too high for Kris and Adam I thought screeched through it.

Yeah, Kris sounded better than Adam, true. But he didn't sound all that great either, and he forgot a word or two, I believe.

But none of this reflects badly on either of them (or at least it shouldn't).  The song was written in too high a register, and if they weren't allowed to arrange it to fit their individual voices, then that's Kara's fault.  Hell, all the judges gave both of them a pass, and even Kara said it was too high. Now, whether or not the audience will understand this is another thing altogether.

Quote:
I can't get through on Kris's lines at ALL.

Oh, that's a bad sign for Adam. I'm tellin' ya, Kris has the Christian vote, and that's huge. And it's not simply because Kris is religious (like Erin pointed out, he doesn't wear it on his sleeve), but rather that Adam is out and proud. That simply won't sit well with the Gokey crowd.
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-19-2009 07:15 PM

Y'know, I almost think Sam Cooke would have been a better fit for Kris, strangely enough. They sound nothing alike, but they're similar in that they rely on relative simplicity of their singing (I know Sam was "showy" for his time, but by today's standards what he did was downright tame) and just let the absolutely gorgeous tone of their voices shine through instead of relying on vocal acrobatics.

"Bring It On Home To Me" as the Adam/Kris duet for the finale, anyone? I'm fairly certain Kris is a baritone, so he could take the Lou Rawls part. Seriously, if you asked me to name my favorite song by anyone ever, that would be it. Our boys would kill it.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-20-2009 05:34 PM

David Cook: "I don't know that America can get this wrong."

Well said.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-20-2009 05:56 PM

OK, is it just that I'm drunk or do the Black Eye'd Peas kick fucking ass?

Ryan to Bikini Girl: "I was gonna as you what's new, but I think I know." hahahaha!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Katrina? (aka. bikini girl?) Playboy, followed by porn, followed by disappear forever.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-20-2009 06:12 PM

Heh. So true. And yes, the show is barely half over but Ryan gets the line of the night. Genius.

I've really, REALLY enjoyed the show thus far. I didn't hate Lil and she rocked with Queen Latifah! And Kris/Keith Urban was WAY better than it had any right to be. I actually kinda loved that. And David Cook was awesome, too. So far, so good.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-20-2009 07:04 PM

WHOA. I'm kinda shocked. Heh.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-20-2009 07:14 PM

Wow. I'm shocked too. But probably not as shocked as you, Acrobat. I thought there was a good chance he'd win.

Spouse: "It's just one of those things. It's not like a B student beat an A student. An A student lost to an A- student. Adam was dumbfounded and wasn't a dickish loser. Kris was dumbfounded and wasn't a dickish winner. It's one of those things."

Indeed.

RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-20-2009 07:19 PM

I thought there was a good chance he'd win too, but still. I'm surprised to actually see it happen.

Also, Simon is an ass for not standing up for the winner. We know you love Adam, Simon, but stop being a dick.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-20-2009 07:36 PM

Yeah, don't take it out on Kris, you know?

Hell, I prefer Adam too, but I'll be damned if I say one negative word about Kris.

Great season! Thanks for letting me live blog it. And thank you to my partner in crime, Acrobat.

Peace Out!

RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-21-2009 12:17 PM

Trathena, you and Erin have been a riot all season with your live blogs. :)

*high fives you both*

Oh and I'm really glad that Kris won, and Simon was a dick for not standing up. FU, Simon.

RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-21-2009 05:00 PM

From Danny Gokey's minister:

Quote:
Everyone who voted for @dannygokey should vote for Kris Allen! We need a believer to represent!

Isn't that so . . . Jesus-like?
RE: American Idol - Acrobat - 05-21-2009 06:19 PM

Seriously, what a douche.

And poor Kris. The backlash is already starting and he doesn't deserve any of it. I've heard enough of "America hates teh gay! Adam lost because of the Christian vote!" today to last me a lifetime. I've seen way too much of Democrats/atheists/etc. who preferred Kris and Christian Grandmas who love Adam to really believe that. Not to mention the fact that for every person who'd vote against Adam because of his sexuality, there's somebody who'd vote FOR him for the same reason.

RE:  American Idol - Trathena - 05-21-2009 08:02 PM

Yeah, I have to admit though, that I think Kris won because of the Christian/Arkansas vote. I'm sorry, but I do.

The Davids had 12 million votes between them. Adam and Kris had, what, 100 million? 38 million of those votes were out of Arkansas alone. Both Kris' and Danny's pastors were all over the Net telling evangelicals to vote for their own. Kris got Danny's votes. It ceased to be a talent competition when that happened.

And there is horrid, ugly, brutal, homophobic shit all over the Internet regarding Adam's orientation.

This doesn't mean that Kris didn't have legitimate votes that were cast based solely on preference to his singing, but I just think he had many, many millions more that were due to other issues.

And Kris thinks this too. He could barely look Adam in the eye last night.

None of this disparages or negates his talent, and he doesn't deserve the backlash he's going to get. But we can't be silent in the face of obvious bigotry when we see it.

RE:   American Idol - Acrobat - 05-22-2009 05:35 AM

Trathena Wrote:

Adam and Kris had, what, 100 million?  38 million of those votes were out of Arkansas alone.

I really, really hate this rumor. That news story was false and has been retracted. AT&T was asked about it and they said, "Uh, no." Even if it still sounds fishy to you, think of it this way: you really think the rest of the 305 million people in this country only cast 60 million votes? People vote more on finale nights as a rule anyway, and the voting window is twice as long.

I don't doubt that some people voted against Adam because of his sexual orientation. Just like I'm quite sure that some people heard about that, were outraged over it, and voted for him because of it. I kind of thought the same way about the presidential election -- for every asshole who voted against Obama specifically because he's black, there was a better-intentioned but equally misguided person who voted for him for that same reason. I think it evens out.

Thing is, we're WAY more plugged-in to Idol than the average viewer. You didn't even realize Adam was gay until I told you. I didn't know about Kris' religious beliefs until you mentioned something. There are a lot of people the same way, way more who knew but didn't care, a small segment who knew and voted for him strictly because of it, and a small segment of douchebags who sat down for several hours and got in 10 anti-Adam votes through a shit-ton of busy signals.

And Danny's pastor has, what, 300 followers on Twitter?

I'm usually the first person to cry foul on something like this, but I really do think that the majority of America views Idol as exactly what it's supposed to be, which is a talent show. They watch it two nights a week and then don't think anything more about it. You and I turn it into a sociological experiment because it's fun to do so and the media turns it into a culture war because it's good for ratings, but I think most of the viewers really just don't care.
RE: American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-22-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:
I'm usually the first person to cry foul on something like this, but I really do think that the majority of America views Idol as exactly what it's supposed to be, which is a talent show. They watch it two nights a week and then don't think anything more about it. You and I turn it into a sociological experiment because it's fun to do so and the media turns it into a culture war because it's good for ratings, but I think most of the viewers really just don't care.

I completely agree with this Erin. I never used to watch Idol AT ALL really until last season. Sure I had watched it prior to that, but never cared that much about it. But it is fun to turn it into a sociological experiment and it makes it a bit deeper then just watching the show and not caring.

Did that make sense? I haven't had coffee yet. (its brewing)
RE: American Idol - Trathena - 05-22-2009 06:31 PM

OK, look, I'm sorry about the incorrect info. It was AT&T themselves who said it (from what I understand). If they've retracted it, OK. Fine. I was full of shit. But it's not like I was getting this from Star magazine or something.

The thing is, Erin, all reality shows are sociological experiments. As soon as "America" gets involved, it's society. You and I aren't far off, I think. We're just smarter than the average tv viewer.

As far as the pastors go, their twitter posts went viral. But they weren't saying anything that wasn't already being said by many others, so I'll leave it at that.

I know what it means for me to say that Kris got Danny's votes. I know what that means. How it sounds. I'd never say something like that in front of him or anywhere he'd likely see it. I'm a nobody from Illinois who has a sensitivity for things like this, nothing more.

The one to put an end to these comments? That'd be Adam. And I won't be surprised when he does.

But I think I'll shut up about it now anyway. :-)

RE:  American Idol - spaz - 05-22-2009 07:34 PM

Trathena Wrote:
We're just smarter than the average tv viewer.

I'd like to point out that I'm smarter than the average tv viewer because I don't watch this crap. hiyo!!! ;)
RE:  American Idol - Acrobat - 05-22-2009 07:36 PM

Trathena Wrote:

OK, look, I'm sorry about the incorrect info. It was AT&T themselves who said it (from what I understand). If they've retracted it, OK. Fine. I was full of shit. But it's not like I was getting this from Star magazine or something.

Oh, I know you weren't -- it originally came from a legit news source, but that news story came from bad information in the first place. Found it.

Quote:
The thing is, Erin, all reality shows are sociological experiments.

Absolutely. Hell, I said the same thing on the first page of this thread, I think. Heh.

Quote:
As soon as "America" gets involved, it's society. You and I aren't far off, I think. We're just smarter than the average tv viewer.

That's actually exactly what I wanted to say (you just worded it better). You and I look at the show that way because we're smarter than the average TV viewer, sure. I just meant that I don't think most of America looks at it that way, as a "I'm voting for/against X contestant because of their religion/race/sexuality/anything else that isn't related to the music."

I think in this case the votes are just a reflection of the fact that America prefers a safer, easier-to-listen-to brand of contestant, which is why I'm still shocked that David Cook won last year. I've never spoken to a person in real life about the show who said anything beyond, "Oh, X contestant is my favorite." With Twitter posts going viral, it again goes back to the whole "You and I take this more seriously and read more about it than most of the viewers." I just don't think that the majority of the people who watched the finale even knew about them.

Quote:
I know what it means for me to say that Kris got Danny's votes. I know what that means. How it sounds. I'd never say something like that in front of him or anywhere he'd likely see it. I'm a nobody from Illinois who has a sensitivity for things like this, nothing more.

The one to put an end to these comments? That'd be Adam. And I won't be surprised when he does.

Believe it or not, Adam and Kris BOTH said on Larry King that they thought Danny's votes went to Kris. Heh. I was shocked that they'd even go there. They rationalized it as a "If you liked Danny's music, you'd be more likely to enjoy Kris' style to Adam's." Which is actually totally true and a fair point to make, but there's more to that and they either 1) chose not to acknowledge it, 2) don't think it's an issue, or 3) aren't allowed to acknowledge it as part of their Idol contracts. I'm leaning towards a mixture of 1 and 3 there. They're not stupid.

So no, we're not far apart on this at all. Do I think Adam's sexuality and Kris' religion affected the voting? You betcha. We just disagree about the scope of its impact. :)
RE:   American Idol - Trathena - 05-23-2009 05:24 AM

spaz Wrote:
I'd like to point out that I'm smarter than the average tv viewer because I don't watch this crap.  hiyo!!!  ;)

hahaha! Brat!
RE:   American Idol - Trathena - 05-23-2009 05:25 AM

Acrobat Wrote:

So no, we're not far apart on this at all. Do I think Adam's sexuality and Kris' religion affected the voting? You betcha. We just disagree about the scope of its impact. :)

You're dead to me now.

heeheehee! :-)
RE: American Idol - Formica Linoleum - 05-23-2009 12:15 PM

I am not an AI watcher. However, the people I work with were talking about it sooooo much over the last couple of weeks that I crumbled and tuned in a little for the last two shows (yay for not missing Cyndi Lauper).

I'm shocked, but not surprised that Adam did not win. I'm shocked due to the overwhelming amount of media coverage surrounding him as being the winner before he even won. I saw Simon on Oprah before the finale, and he basicially crowned Adam the winner. Everyone in my office was pulling for Adam. Half of them are hardcore Southern Baptist women who didn't care if he was gay or not, so I thought, "well, just maybe sexual orientation won't matter."

In the aftermath, I began to think about past idol winners and Adam didn't really seem to fit the AI winner mold in my opinion. He's not your average everyday looking American (gay or not). I don't remember any other winner having the non-traditional male style, but I never watched the show, so I might be off on my theory.

Either way, I think Adam is better off not winner. I think his career will be much better without it. The numbers don't lie, and from what I understand he is higher ranked on iTunes than Kris.

RE:  American Idol - Acrobat - 05-23-2009 02:07 PM

Formica Linoleum Wrote:

Everyone in my office was pulling for Adam. Half of them are hardcore Southern Baptist women who didn't care if he was gay or not, so I thought, "well, just maybe sexual orientation won't matter."

See, and this is why I'm so reluctant to attribute Kris' win to any anti-gay vote, though I admit my own similar personal experience and other stories like this are only anecdotal evidence and might not mean anything. I'm not saying the lunatic fringe didn't get in some anti-Adam votes, I just don't think that's what tipped the scales in Kris' favor.

Quote:
In the aftermath, I began to think about past idol winners and Adam didn't really seem to fit the AI winner mold in my opinion. He's not your average everyday looking American (gay or not). I don't remember any other winner having the non-traditional male style

THIS. I think you nailed it. Adam inspires hardcore fans, but he also inspires a shit-ton of, "WTF? Stop screaming, dude." Completely removing Adam's perceived sexuality from the equation, what he does just doesn't sell as well as what Kris does.

Take their celebrity duets from the finale -- Adam did an awesome over-the-top performance with KISS, complete with pyrotechnics and smoke and guitar-smashing. Kris sang a cute country/pop song with Keith Urban. Adam easily wins in the holy-shit-did-you-SEE-that? department, but... America doesn't buy that kind of stuff en masse. It makes great TV, but it doesn't have a chance in hell of cracking the Top 40. But the song that Kris did with Urban? Has suddenly jumped into the iTunes Top 10.

Quote:
but I never watched the show, so I might be off on my theory.

You're not. Three words: "Ring of Fire." Or five words, if you're Kara.

Quote:
The numbers don't lie, and from what I understand he is higher ranked on iTunes than Kris.

I've heard different things on this, so I went and looked, and I think this is really telling: Adam is winning in video sales, but Kris is winning in audio sales. (Two songs in the top 10, both of which are ranked higher than Adam's one song. And four in the top 25 to Adam's two). Yesterday Kris had the #1 spot.

So I think they'll both be just fine provided they can/want to/are allowed to release the right kind of material. I think the ideal career (and musical) type for Kris would be along the lines of Gavin DeGraw or Jason Mraz. I see Adam a Robbie Williams type, and probably more successful in Europe than America.
RE: American Idol - bxdash - 05-23-2009 02:47 PM

I don't really watch this show, but am friggin surrounded by all of the discussing and reporting of it, everywhere I go (net or real life).

so i might as well voice some sort of an opinion somewhere where I don't feel like I'll get hunted down and raped for speaking my mind.

First off...

I really HATE this show now. I hate what it (actually) stands for. The sort of ignorance it breeds about music and talent. What the voting usually represents in the early stages (incredible bias based on things other than talent...Sanjaya anyone?). I also despise what it does to the TV landscape EVERY FUCKING SEASON.

but fuck me if I'm not always interested in the train wreck auditions...

anyway,

I just don't think that the "is he gay" thing was the real reason Adam didn't win. I'm not saying that I don't think there was voting going on in that hateful vein, but I just think that he was always an "outsider" type of contestant. Once the division of Kris and Danny's votes went out the window, the scale just tipped Kris's way. They're both "middle of the road" type characters. All of Danny's votes probably just went that way, and most likely not because of some religious movement (this wasn't "The Passion" folks). Adam was always fighting a losing battle, it was him against the odds, no matter how the media wanted to make him up to be the front runner. He may have gotten higher votes early on, but its truly in the division of the other votes that that made this happen. Thats my view of it. He just didnt have all of America's back, even if he is more talented.

There might have been a little of the "melinda doolittle" factor in there too , where people jsut felt like they didnt have to vote for her and she was good, because everyone agreed with them and would do it for them.....(I swear I don't watch this show).....

I still havent watched a full solo performance by any of this season's contestants, I tuned in just for Queen on the Finale, and knew when that was gonna happen do to east coast airings... typically enough, I found Kris sounded better in the soft parts and Adam better in the ballsy parts.

sigh...
I wish this show would die, Or I wish it would air in some sort of earlier airing period, out of Prime Time. I'm bitter,... I just want scripted TV back, and flourishing....don't get me wrong, I dont want remakes of Knight Rider either... oh and fuck you Jay Leno

I just sort of wish that Fox never existed sometimes. Ever since who wants to marry a millionaire, TV went to hell in a handbasket.

done...

RE:   American Idol - Formica Linoleum - 05-23-2009 05:19 PM

Acrobat Wrote:

I've heard different things on this, so I went and looked, and I think this is really telling: Adam is winning in video sales, but Kris is winning in audio sales. (Two songs in the top 10, both of which are ranked higher than Adam's one song. And four in the top 25 to Adam's two). Yesterday Kris had the #1 spot.

So I think they'll both be just fine provided they can/want to/are allowed to release the right kind of material. I think the ideal career (and musical) type for Kris would be along the lines of Gavin DeGraw or Jason Mraz. I see Adam a Robbie Williams type, and probably more successful in Europe than America.

You were smart and went directly to the source. I was just going by what I read on um.. *cough*perez*cough* I know. I should be shot.

And may I never be sucked into the AI tunnel again, please. I tried so hard to stay out of it at work. So hard.
RE:    American Idol - SarahBeth - 05-23-2009 10:29 PM

Formica Linoleum Wrote:

Acrobat Wrote:

You were smart and went directly to the source. I was just going by what I read on um.. *cough*perez*cough* I know. I should be shot.

And may I never be sucked into the AI tunnel again, please. I tried so hard to stay out of it at work. So hard.

Hehe, no worries Formica. I have a few guilty pleasure sites I read often. I swore this year I wasn't going to get sucked in after last year with david cook. And I did.
RE: American Idol - jamipotter - 02-07-2012 04:26 AM

American idol is my favorite reality show i like to watch this show at Television and So this one is a best show and all the singer are singing really nice song in this reality show.

RE: American Idol - abdouacly - 03-31-2012 03:12 AM

American idol is my favorite television show. It is world class reality show which increase well entertainment and attraction of peoples. It make good platform for common people where they make good performance of their talent.

RE: American Idol - alicehussy - 04-30-2012 02:20 AM

American Idol is most famous and popular show out of all shows. It known as a reality shows which represent the singers out of all over the world. Singers are very talented and sung really very well in the show. They are being a very good singers as to be part of it this show.

RE: American Idol - clarrywhites - 05-01-2012 02:20 AM

I love to see the reality shows so much and mostly the singing competitions as I really love to do singing and listen other good singers also. That's why I love to see American Idol so much. And I had never missed a single episode.