OURS
Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - Printable Version

+- OURS (https://killtheband.createmybb.com)
+-- Forum: (https://killtheband.createmybb.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://killtheband.createmybb.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! (/showthread.php?tid=1454)

Pages: 1 2 3

Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - feverdown - 02-11-2010

So what's everybody's opinion on old bands getting back together for tours and such? Reason for excitement? Transparent money grab?

So many 90s bands going back on the road in recent years and coming up. These are the ones that I've taken notice to:

Alice in Chains
I still have not mustered the interest to listen to their new record for some reason. I saw them a couple years ago and they were decent, but I don't know. Without Layne it seems sort of pointless to me.

Rage Against the Machine
Wish I could have caught them when they were making their rounds. Not sure if they're coming back again? I'd just as soon see a One Day as a Lion full length come out.

Soundgarden
Definitely seeing a show this year.

Jane's Addiction
Actually, I never really liked this band.

Stone Temple Pilots
I saw them in the summer of 08 and it was awesome. Skeptical about a new record, but if Brendan O produced I will still be excited.

Pavement
Definitely seeing a show this year.

Sunny Day Real Estate
Saw them this past October and it was extremely impressive. I welcome a new album eagerly. Jeremy has shown that he can still write.

Far
They've emphasized that they're getting back together for the fun of it, and I don't care. I can't wait to see them and I am stoked for the new album.

Smashing Pumpkins
Still have never seen this band...and I don't know if I am going to. I hold their classic material in high regard, and even Zeitgeist had its moments despite Billy's uninspired vocal contributions. But have you heard the new tracks he's been posting one by one? Horrendous.

Live
Oh wait, they broke up this year. Nevermind. They needed to be put out of their misery anyway. Though their first 4 records will always have a special place in my heart.

Did I miss anyone? I think I heard Hole was getting back together, but boy do I not care about that.

Who would you like to see reunite? Who do you wish would stay dead?

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - SarahBeth - 02-11-2010

LOVE Live and Smashing Pumpkins. A LOT of their music (mostly Live's though) got me through high school. Sad to hear Live broke up. Love their stuff.

Heard Soundgarden's getting back together though.

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - Formica Linoleum - 02-11-2010

feverdown Wrote:Did I miss anyone? I think I heard Hole was getting back together, but boy do I not care about that.

Who would you like to see reunite? Who do you wish would stay dead?

I was REALLY excited when I first heard about a Hole reunion, but as of right now it is not a reunion. It's just Courtney. I think she figures she'll sell more under the name Hole. Complete irritation.

I would LOVE to see Stabbing Westward make a comeback, but I doubt that one. I'd love for the Lunachicks to do another album and tour. I love Theo, and I love her more with the chicks. I never got to see Babes in Toyland live, so I'd be happy if they would come back... again. OH and the Campfire Girls. Christian needs to get that going again instead of pissing time away in Puddle of Mudd.

Live should just forget it, seriously. And if Courtney isn't going to invite Eric and Melissa back, then she should just drop it as well. I'm not very big on this Alice in Chains project. Sure, people say the new guy sounds a lot like Layne, but it's just not the same. I felt the same way about INXS when they were trying to fill the void. It just doesn't work.

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - SoundscapeMN - 02-11-2010

Jellyfish would mean a ton to a ton of people. Falkner and Manning actually opened for Cheap Trick recently. Some videos are on youtube.

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - splithesky - 02-12-2010

I'd love to see a Stabbing Westward reunion. I'd be a happy guy to see them play Darkest Days in it's entirety. I saw them once when I was in highschool but it was at an outdoor venue... so it kind of sucked.
The Alice in Chains stuff sounds surprisingly a lot like Alice in Chains still. I was/am a huge fan of Jar of Flies and the self titled album, I just don't have any real interest in the new stuff even though what I've heard isn't bad. It's just not Layne and it's kind of strange.
I've seen STP twice now. I saw them once around 2001/2002 and they were incredible. I saw them late last year and it was depressing. Scott Weiland used to be a great showman and singer. Not so much now. He looked and sounded terrible. It was sad to watch. He just doesn't have it anymore.
I'd love to see RATM play a tour of smaller type venues.

Chris Cornell sounds like shit now. His voice is completely shot.

RE:  Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - drkdglr13 - 02-12-2010

SoundscapeMN Wrote:Jellyfish would mean a ton to a ton of people. Falkner and Manning actually opened for Cheap Trick recently. Some videos are on youtube.

Couldn't agree with you more on a Jellyfish reunion. I absolutely adored that band. 'Spilt Milk' is a masterpiece, IMO. Here's to hoping Andy Sturmer comes out of hiding.

RE:  Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - bxdash - 02-12-2010

Formica Linoleum Wrote:I would LOVE to see Stabbing Westward make a comeback, but I doubt that one.

Probably never happening. Just listen to The Dreaming, its close enough.

I've been in circles that those guy are. Andy's doing music for TV now, so he's probably set. I ran into Jim at a Dreaming show a while back. He seems to miss it. Chris always seems to say that he has way more fun in The Dreaming than he did in SW. ... but I bet he misses working with Walter a lot. I have no idea what Walter is up to now.

They were one of my fave bands tho... so I miss em. I miss all the crazy electronics that Walter used to add, and orchestral instruments Andy brought in. They're one of THE BIGGEST influences for my old band, that I'm finishing up an EP for. If you're a Stabbie, you might like it, I'll PM you when its done to see what you think.

I had no idea that there were a few Stabbing fans on this board. I always feel like they ended up being a bit obscure, or a "one hit wonder" to the people who remember them when they come up in convos. I had 3 copies of wither, just so I always had one in the car and a home and an extra... I was pretty fucking nuts for the band. I still have my "I'm such an asshole" T-shirt. I think I even stayed home from work, or went in late, so Icould pick up Darkest Days on its release date.... how fucking lame am i? HA!

-A

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - Formica Linoleum - 02-13-2010

Oh, I know a SW reunion is impossible. Last I heard, Walter had a radio show up in New England somewhere. I don't remember the specifics. I really didn't care much for the self-titled album, I felt Walter's programming was left out. I saw them several times, and there was a huge difference between the Darkest Days tour and the self-titled. It was disappointing. I was also nuts for that band. I first heard Ours because of Christopher. On their self-titled summer 2001 tour, they played the beginning of "Sometimes" as an intro. I asked Chris what that was from and the rest is history.

I still have a handful of promo cds (5) and a stack of postcards from the self-titled if anyone wants one. I have the 4.6.99 Minneapolis show on vhs. I think I can transfer it to dvd, and pass it around. That was an excellent show.

I liked the Dreaming when they first formed. My husband and I met on their message board. Unfortunately, Diego left.. Brent came in, and it just went sour. I really miss that message board. Good times.

I'd like to see the "Into the Pink" Verbena line-up to reunite. I loved them. Mmm, that dog would be good too. I was obsessed with "Retreat from the Sun." And this isn't really a reunion, but I'd like to see Nina return to Veruca Salt.

Please do PM me your EP. I'd love to hear what you've got.

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - northstar80 - 02-13-2010

The new AIC stuff is decent, but without Layne, I just can't seem to get into it.

If I had to guess, the Sunny Day Real Estate reunion is the only one worth the excitement and hype; everyone else seems likely to disappoint (sadly), in my opinion.

If Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, STP, etc., would start making quality music again, as they did almost two decades ago, I would be thrilled, but I'm not holding my breath.

RE:  Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - bxdash - 02-16-2010

Formica Linoleum Wrote:I first heard Ours because of Christopher. On their self-titled summer 2001 tour, they played the beginning of "Sometimes" as an intro. I asked Chris what that was from and the rest is history.

this, to me, is just funny. I had no idea Chris is an Ours fan.

I agree with you on your points. I LOVE the way the self titled sounds from a recording & mixing standpoint, but the songs feel a bit more forced into their boxes.

anyway. back to the 90s reunions.

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - jlatham - 03-18-2010

New STP album due out May 25th!!! I'm going to see them in Kansas City on monday. I've also been listening to "The Distance To Here" by Live. Such a great album.

RE:  Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - SarahBeth - 03-18-2010

jlatham Wrote:New STP album due out May 25th!!! I'm going to see them in Kansas City on monday. I've also been listening to "The Distance To Here" by Live. Such a great album.

Yay, that's exciting.

God I love Live. They got me through a LOT of high school.

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - jlatham - 03-18-2010

Here's my favorite +Live+ song....

Pillar of Davidson
12-18-99

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - feverdown - 03-19-2010

The Distance to Here was the tipping point of a very important paradigm shift back in my first year of college.

I guess that's sort of like saying it changed my life, but to say it like that would be inaccurate. All those lyrics about the idea of love (you know, the hippie kind, not just the romantic kind) and letting positivity in, especially in "Run to the Water" hit me at the exact right time like a smack in the head. I still look back and recognize that I was never the same after that. Good times.

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - jlatham - 03-20-2010

And, TDTH was produced by a member of the talking heads! Here's a link to the new Stone Temple Pilots song.

http://www.fmqbproductions.com/epks/2010/stp/

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - toolerawk - 03-20-2010

Wow that new STP song is terrible.

RE:  Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - feverdown - 03-22-2010

toolerawk Wrote:Wow that new STP song is terrible.

Ouch. Yeah it really has nothing going for it. And the middle eight... "Stay Away" by Nirvana, anyone? Jeez.

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - feverdown - 04-23-2010

Apparently STP is co-headlining a mini radio-sponsored festival with AIC, with (a recently reunited) Fuel and 3 Days Grace supporting...in Camden NJ.

This news is notable because of its ability to depress me on several levels.

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - Formica Linoleum - 04-23-2010

Oh, I got stuck with just AM/FM capabilities the other day and heard a new AIC song. Ugh. I do not want to hear more. Sad I'm a sad panda. Why can't people leave good things alone?

RE: Reunions: The Return of the 90s! - feverdown - 04-29-2010

Whoa.