Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Magic Stick Detroit, MI 11.23.08
so i haven't had alot of time lately to be an active member of the board or to write this concert review, but i'm making time now.....

my 9th OURS show 11.23.08

My friend Joe and I drove up to Detroit "rock city" without any problems and reached our destination, The Magic Stick an hour or more before the show was scheduled to start @ 8pm. My friends that I made @ last years Saint Andrews Hall show Pete and Christy (redcoloredstar) were already there and in fact had arrived before the bands did (lol)
So as we were waiting I spotted Paul, Duke and Luis from PJA downstairs and got to catch up a bit with them. good times.

The line starts building at around 7:30ish and we're all still trying to stay warm in the building. After doors open and we get our tickets and spots by the stage I go and buy some merch, (PJA and OURS merchandise is very stylish, comfortable and affordable!) and talk to Matt from PJA, he tells me that because PJA and OURS didn't sell enough tickets the venue wouldn't turn the heat on.....pardon me while i rant......

To: The Magic Stick (or any other venue who pulls this bullshit)
Never, EVER treat the patrons or artists who come to your venue and spend their money like shit, or not grant them simple accomodations like HEAT when it's fucking FREEZING outside. Not only are your patrons and artists uncomfortable, (cold makes it harder for singers to SING) but also not as apt to purchase cold refreshing drinks at your bars or want to darken the doors of your estabishment again. This simple, basic lack of respect for humanity this shows makes me want to direct the hordes of Red Wings fans to your building just so they will burn it down......as my friend Shane would say, Fuck Your Couch! btw Jimmy apologized about the situation. (even though it wasn't his fault, it was the venues choice)

I digress....

despite the temperature conditions Plain Jane Automobile came on stage and gave the audience so much ear candy it felt like Halloween or a young Latin childs birthday....during Starving Streets Jimmy came out and sang with PJA and danced Smile
here is their setlist (not in order, sorry, and i might be missing one)

Starving Streets
The Longest Goodbye
Stones
Blue Jeans
Under The Milky Way (The Church cover)
Whisper That You Need Me

during the last song Whisper Duke came down from the stage and sang in the crowd, very Live Aid Bono-esque Smile

I'm really glad PJA is on tour with OURS again, they're all really good guys, make great music and get on with OURS very well, I hope they continue this tradition of touring together. And a very special mention to James, PJA's drummer and borrowed drummer for OURS, it's a very admirable thing for him to be able to do two complete sets for two bands in a single night, but to be able to do that night after night, sometimes for 2-3 days in a row is completely amazing. the guy's got guts.

a short set change and then the greastest band on earthcame out and kicked all of our collective asses.

I had a feeling that this show would be a bittersweet one since, I...like you, know that this will be the last tour for awhile and although I wasn't wrong, it wasn't as distracting as I thought it would be, once the music started it was like watching a favorite movie you hadn't seen in awhile, familiar but thoroughly entertaining. During the beginning of Live Again Daniel Victor walks on stage and starts playing keys and then ends up playing for the rest of the show. They called "drummer in training" Quincy up for a few songs and he did a fine job, i was impressed. April Bauer also played 2 or 3 songs with the band which I was glad to see, at one point there were 8 or 9 people on stage at once, which was really neat to see, I called it a "supergroup" Smile here is OURS setlist....(also, sorry not in order)

Willing
Mercy
Black
Murder
Autumn
*bit of Marvin Gaye's Mercy, Mercy Me by request*
*new Jimmy solo song "Soon you'll rest your soul"* (it's the 1st song on the On the Rox bootleg)
Saint
Live Again (with Jam)
Ran Away To Tell The World
Sometimes
The Worst Things Beautiful
Miseryhead
Fallen Souls
Get Up (very short version, bc of curfew)

My friend Pete got an audio recording of the show and said it turned out great, not sure if he's planning on posting though.....
I felt special because Jimmy noticed me without trying to get his attention and smiled and said "Hello friend" to me during the show Smile

It was kind of sad at the end though because he thanked everyone who'd been coming to the shows all these years and tours and said he really appreciated it, because he knows it's not always possible to get there. So he was happy and thankful that we did come. But it really sounded to me like goodbye in a way......

Of course they stayed for awhile and talked and said goodbyes and it was good to catch up too.

All in all, Joe and I had a wonderful evening with two of the best bands on the earth and wish we could've gone on to Chicago and watched that show as well, because we both really like Schubas.....

If you've yet to see them, savor every moment and enjoy the fuck out of the experience!

P.S. We saw a fox outside of a Denny's in Detroit, weird!

Alright, sorry this is kinda late in coming, but like BG, life’s been busy and writing a good review just hasn’t been in the cards. That is until now. The show was fantastic in my opinion. This was only the second time I’ve seen them. We got there really early because I’m nerdy (and an over planning anxiety freak…sorry). But the venue had a bar/pizza place/bowling alley that we waited in. Much better than waiting outside in November in Michigan. After a rousing round of bowling, BG and his friend Joe showed up and kept my BF and our friends company. We brought two people who’d never even really listened to Ours before. Their minds were completely blown, to say the least.

After we went upstairs to the stage my entire body started shaking because it was so freaking cold. Stupid Magic Stick and no heat! Do they not realize they were hosting greatness? Honestly. Anyway, PJA came on and was doing a fine job, but no one seemed overly excited for some reason. Then during one song, sorry I don’t know their music very well yet, Jimmy came out and did a lovely scream and got everyone going. When Duke came down into the crowd, I use the term crowd loosely; things seemed to relax more too. They seem like really nice guys. I was happy to hear they remembered my BF and I from the last show that we showed up ridiculously early for and hung around.

Here’s the set list in order just in case you were wondering

Willing
Mercy
Black
Here Is The Light
Ran Away To Tell The World
Saint
Murder
Mercy Mercy Me
New Song
Live Again
Autumn
Sometimes
Miseryhead
Worst Things Beautiful
Fallen Souls
Get Up

The set was a lot of fun. Jimmy seemed relaxed and said after the first few songs that he was really enjoying the vibe. He seemed pretty chatty, too, which was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it was so damn cold I think the guys had to go retune their guitars, but Jimmy stuck around and kept the fun going. He played Mercy Mercy Me and his new song and talked a bit about their plans for the coming months. He said again that he plans on working on an acoustic album in the next few months then releasing some new band stuff and then touring again maybe in the fall. I hope that’s how it works and we don’t end up with another 4 year stretch of desperately waiting even though I’m pretty sure I’d wait forever for these guys.

The Live Again jam was epic and lasted almost 20 minutes. I really enjoyed watching Daniel Victor again, too. He was at the Detroit show in June also. He seems like a nice happy guy. And again the Magic Stick proved to be not so magical making the guys get off the stage by 12 so they had to cut the Get Up jam short, but what little there was, was awesome. There were 9 people on stage including Jimmy, Static, Lock, Race, James, April, Daniel, Duke and Quincy (the new drummer.)

We hung around after the show and I got to talk to Jimmy for a minute which pretty much makes my life. And thanks to the wonderful Beautiful Ghost I got another picture with him. Overall, it was one of the best days I’ve ever had. I got to hang out with friends, meet up with the wonderful Chris and Joe again, and see my favorite band. Pure love.

Oh, and did I mention that my bf recorded the show, it came out pretty great (at least I think so and I don’t think I’m being biased) and I’m going to post it as soon as he gets it cut, compressed and up to the best quality he can? Just wait for the turkey sound Jimmy makes in the beginning. It’ll make your day.

“That song got the bad end of the stick. It didn’t get the Magic Stick” JG
I will be releasing the show, i just have to finish it. I have a good three hours or more of work into editing the songs now and i need to go back and adjust the gain slightly. I also need to look into where i am going to host the songs, but i feel they came out really well based on all the many other shows I have. Hopfully tomorrow night i'll have everything set. Tune in then.
sweet. thanks for the setlist correction, i remembered Here Is The Light was played 1st thing when I woke up this morning and was coming on here to include it, but you beat me to the punch.

It was good hanging with you guys again, glad you had a wonderful time
wowfuckingWOW!!!! i so enjoy being able to start my day on this note- catching up on the board and reading one great review after another. THANK YOU all for taking the time to share these moments with the rest of us. truly, i am so pleased to hear that the guys are doing well on the road (and with april in charge, you know its all good!), the fans are ever-loyal, and 2009 is sure to reward us for our patience. and another bootleg this weekend! WOWZA!! JOYJOYJOY!!!!!!

6 DAYS TIL THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST RUN, BABY!!!!
beautifulghost and redcoloredstar thank you both so much for your gorgeous reviews. Much better than hastily written brief notes (like mine), and worth waiting for.

rigne1pe, thank you so much! It will be wonderful to have a recording of their last tour for awhile.
Quote:Just wait for the turkey sound Jimmy makes in the beginning. It’ll make your day.

I SO cannot WAIT to hear this.....

Thanks for the reviews!! Smile
SarahBeth Wrote:
Quote:Just wait for the turkey sound Jimmy makes in the beginning. It’ll make your day.

I SO cannot WAIT to hear this.....

Thanks for the reviews!! Smile

hahaha omg i'm dying to hear the turkey sound too!

thanks for the reviews guys!!! and very cool that Daniel Victor made an appearance. can't wait to listen to those recordings! Smile

Awesome reviews! Thank you thank you. :-)
rigne1pe Wrote:I will be releasing the show, i just have to finish it. I have a good three hours or more of work into editing the songs now and i need to go back and adjust the gain slightly. I also need to look into where i am going to host the songs, but i feel they came out really well based on all the many other shows I have. Hopfully tomorrow night i'll have everything set. Tune in then.

just curious where you actually record - like where in the venue. my hubby has recorded a few jimmy/ours shows over the last 2 months and he typically stands in the back near the soundboard. also, besides the recorder, are you using any external mikes or other equipment and editing software? thanks

I recorded in the back away from the crowd in a place where I felt the left and right speaker sound meet pretty nicely. To record I used the Zoom H4 hand recorder. I recorded the show in WAV formate so i almost filled my 2GB card that was in it. I used two external mics. The H4 has hook ups for the left and right. I used two DS-V7 Equation mics. I sat in the back and held both the mics. April was standing near me in the back most of the show. I put over $300 in this stuff just for the concert, plus i already had one of my two mics. Worth it though. I am almost done with all my songs, its only a matter of time now. I expect the link to be up between 8 and 9, Michigan time. If i wasn't clear on anything or you want any more details just let me know.

Microphone
http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/product...n-dsv7.htm

Zoom H4
http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-ZOO-H4-Handy-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1227743628&sr=8-1
awesome, thanks for all the info. he got an edirol r09-hr recently and is still testing everything out. i think the only and BIG thing he needs to check out is a new external mic, or maybe two mics if there is a L and R hookup (i'm not sure but he'll obviously know).

another question - do you record seamlessly or in segments? i know it doesnt affect the quality but didn't know if you had a preference.

thank again and look forward to hearing the show! if all goes well in editing, i/he may be posting the brooklyn and/or philly shows he taped.
Generaly i recorded from beginning to end. I had a couple mishaps where i stopped recording in two songs, willing and Autumn. In the middle of the set i changed batteries which almost caused me to loss over an hour of recording. I fortunately figured out the problem and was able to recover the data. I edited it with a program called Cuebase LE. Cut each song up, cut the banter up, increased the gain, exported them and converted them to MP3. I really had no idea what it was going to sound like but i'm extremely happy with it and now I'm done and redcoloredstar will be posting the link in just a minute or two.
Quote:Unfortunately, it was so damn cold I think the guys had to go retune their guitars, but Jimmy stuck around and kept the fun going.

I think this is when Race's amp went out and they had to get a new one
and set it up during the show.....but they're all professionals so hopefully not many noticed Smile
i was there, it was awesome, they put on an excellent show,i was standing to the left of the stage, it was a fanastastic show from Ours and PJA.

did they do a meet and greet after the show?
Jimmy hung out by the stage after the show and was talking to anyone who wanted to talk. He was lucky because all the other guys were busting there ass breaking down the set. You should wait after the show next time and talk to him, he is such a great guy. Talk to everyone because they are all great guys.

A word to everyone else. I am getting a lot done on the Archive site to host all the bootlegs. Soon i'll be needing all your help to make sure i have everything and am organized and have good information.

Bis Spater
that sucks. haha, i figured they would wanna scatter because it was so damn cold, plus i figured the bar would have shut down, im gonna have to keep that in mind for next time.

i think the magic stick, besides the heat issue is probably one of the better venues in Detroit, i hate Harpos.
In June they played at St. Andrews Hall and that was ok. What I like about both places is there is only one door they come in and out of. At St. Andrews we caught Jimmy helping April park their Van. Because we got there so early we went inside and also caught Ours sound checking. We beat them to The Magic Stick. It was nice that we could hang out and go bowling before the show. Hopfully they will be back by next fall. We'll have to meet up, maybe BeautifulGhost will make it out and we can do it up before the show.
rigne1pe Wrote:In June they played at St. Andrews Hall and that was ok. What I like about both places is there is only one door they come in and out of. At St. Andrews we caught Jimmy helping April park their Van. Because we got there so early we went inside and also caught Ours sound checking. We beat them to The Magic Stick. It was nice that we could hang out and go bowling before the show. Hopfully they will be back by next fall. We'll have to meet up, maybe BeautifulGhost will make it out and we can do it up before the show.

sounds good to me, id love to meet people in the area that like this band besides me, I was going to go to the St Andrews show but i was quite under the weather unfortunately, thats why im glad i caught this show.

I really would have loved to meet Jimmy and take a picture with the guys.,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Magic Stick 11/23/08 Recording redcoloredstar 21 2,600 12-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Last Post: wafflestomper
  Detroit! One more time. Sanzen 1 488 09-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Last Post: redcoloredstar
  Pics from Detroit & Chicago (8&9th June) redjez 11 1,011 06-13-2008, 02:46 AM
Last Post: redjez
  6/8/08 Detroit, MI Saint Andrews beautifulghost 24 3,445 06-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Sanzen
  Help again! Detroit - Chicago? redjez 4 490 05-31-2008, 03:24 PM