Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts from Philly, album petition, etc...
I was going to hijack the Philly commentary but thought to bring this over here in a new thread.

SB, aren't you glad you didn't have to make the trip entirely alone? Happy to see you, Lisa and everyone again! My friends are still going apeshit over this show. (Lucky newbies get THAT setlist?!? What an introduction to the band AND solo works, right?) I hope everyone can get a shot catching this tour - here's hoping they'll add some Pacific Northwest, etc dates too. Yeah I'm downright sad that I hadn't seen Lukas live before! I didn't get to catch all of his set but WOW to what I heard.

I'm still committed to doing whatever helps get the next album done especially after what I heard on Friday, how tight they sounded (gotta give it up for April's left hand holding down the lows since Race was MIA, possibly sick too?) nevermind the fact that Jimmy mentioned their finances again. He also said they're breaking from their usual mode and won't be playing any new songs live until AFTER the album is out so.... that sounds like a promise to me.

I'll c&p the other fundraising ideas over here later like somebody suggested.

Lots of love & keep the faith.
Jessica, SO GLAD to see you. So sorry we didn't get to hang out longer. I know what you mean about the set list - my work friends who I brought (who you didn't meet because they left before I saw you) were totally blown away - not a bad intro to Jimmy & co, for sure!

Hi everyone,

I really hope we didn’t lose too much inertia from before. Hell I dropped the ball, too. Everyone has busy & shifting lives, sometimes troubles, but let's not forget what sustains. Smile

The last time we discussed, the idea was for someone “in contact with one or more of these entities (Bright Antenna/Fun Palace/Etc.) on social networks simply direct them to this thread.” The rationale for doing that way was to “include various input and opinions, and not just one person's summary.” Then, “it will then be up to the label/management/Jimmy to decide whether and what kind of action is warranted (e.g., a "Donate Now" paypal button, a service like Kickstarter, exclusive merch/fan experiences, etc.).”

Thanks, NorthStar – couldn’t have said it better myself! The text below is also copied from the earlier thread.

Here are the group's ideas that could be pitched without too much hassle:
*"Donate Here" button on main JG site (with links from other social media).
*Digital music/art downloads (HEART outtakes & b-sides, etc.) bought directly from main JG site.
*Increased merch (this should be really easy already - just divide the HEART deluxe package into individual retail components and MOAR TELA HOODIES PLEASE!).

It sounds like funding "just another gig" is last on our list. And we all would prefer to help finance another album, if given the choice - correct?

As incentives, we would be interested in (not an exhaustive list): *exclusive/signed merch
*live performance DVDs
*studio outtakes, music videos
*live in-studio sessions, sheetmusic/notes, etc.
**the Alt DL is a great idea but may be difficult given label/rights politics

Another idea: donations go to a gig (but not "just any other gig") using Kickstarter, etc. with the intention of recording it as a digital album for audio/video distribution. Same incentives would apply for donors plus preferred/advance ticketing to the gig. Memories to last many lifetimes. If not,*hopefully* the Newburgh gig recording came out well and could be similarly released, as SB mentioned. There are more than a couple visual artists here - maybe a contest to do/donate the digitized cover art?

Finally, should we go ahead and invite the fans who may NOT be on this board to join in this conversation? Maybe a new fanpage/event/group with a link back here...or add to an existing one?

Unless anyone has any more thoughts, I'd say we could go ahead and light this fire - no?
Good synopsis. Let's do this!
I'm in.

Anyone have any thoughts as to if we want to use a different forum off of here to promote this? I mean, we can always create a group on Facebook, but I dont know if everyone has a facebook, or we can create a Ning site, which is kind of a social media site that we can upload pics, videos, write blogs, have multiple discussion topics, etc.

That might be easier to keep everything clean and tidy be able to share the link on here, FB, twitter, etc.

Thoughts?

dancingaloneindc Wrote:I hope everyone can get a shot catching this tour - here's hoping they'll add some Pacific Northwest, etc dates too.

sweet sentiment! one of the reasons i have been on this board for ten years now. ten fun-filled years of music & friendship. thx to you all, past, present, & future peeps.

but i digress....i am IN! and random thoughts on merch mode:
YES more tela hoodies, more original black ours thermals & some xtrasmall sizes for us little folks.
bags- still drooling over april's heart bag! she handed me the artist's business card last may, but the artist will not sell them. she told me she will create them & give them to jimmy to sell & profit from. i wish she could do a run of 25, take a percentage for her work (she deserves it!), & post them in the online store. i bet they would sell out AND bring her new clients.
artwork: i love my framed show posters, so a print run AND charging a few bucks for the posters would be cool. (my favorite is the blue background tela by patrick fatica from the 2008 live again tour.)
stickers: my original black backgound ours symbol on the car's back bumper is torn & weathered & i refuse to rip it off. it must be properly replaced.
oh, & tickets: i REALLY think they should be charging twice as much as they are right now. $10-15 a show? $25 a ticket is still well under all the top 40 shit shows that charge $50 and up (yes, i have issues with musicians who overcharge for their shows. sad & greedy.) BUT with the shitty economy, a cheap night of fabulous music is beautiful, so promote them as much as we can, i think, with the goal of sold-out shows.
YES!!!  Great input, Starlit!  Agreed on all points (especially to the years of friendship and music)!  
SB (sweet writeup, lady) and Northstar: thanks so much for keeping this going.
Soooo...next stop: send Bright Antenna & Fun Palace this thread link? I'll do it - no prob.  Any thoughts on the accompanying message? "We the people of the KTB Board hereby insist on helping with new album/resource development and here are our collective ideas..." type of verbiage?  

Happy 4th (if you celebrate)!  Cheers!
Jess, I think that type of verbiage is fine. Smile

And no problemo on the write up. I just wanted to get it done before the end of time. LOL. i have fun doing them and love giving Jimmy the PR on the blog.
Signed, sealed, delivered.
I need a tela hoodie in XLT( extra large and tall).....

I'm calling it right now I would donate 100$ just to get a new Ours Cd. I sincerely wish they would come to Detroit more but the turn out is always weak.
I hear you, DutchOven (haha! dig the handle)... Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope you get your extra awesome hoodie someday.

Hugs!
Quote:I sincerely wish they would come to Detroit more but the turn out is always weak.

This, so hard. Only, insert Boston in place of Detroit. saw them in Boston last month and the turnout was really weak. Sounded like Jimmy broke up with Boston so to speak. I felt bad. I'm lucky I'm able to travel to NY a bunch to see them, but itd be nice to see them sell out (or close to) a show here.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what is your favorite album cover? musicisart 13 3,858 05-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Last Post: clarrywhites
  Muse: Upcoming Album (2009?) SoundscapeMN 15 1,382 04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Acrobat
  JELLYFISH Tribute Album; Was Jimmy Approached? SoundscapeMN 1 780 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN
  Syd Barrett Tribute Album featuring dredg, Jesu SoundscapeMN 4 735 09-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Last Post: toolerawk
  New Sigur Ros Album Soon! toolerawk 10 918 06-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Last Post: toolerawk
  Ours isn't the only long awaited album released this Spring SoundscapeMN 0 437 05-20-2008, 04:24 AM
  New Radiohead Album!!! Chief 54 7,526 12-05-2007, 07:02 PM
  Sigur Ros New Album & Film TheMoth 5 787 09-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Last Post: TheMoth
  The new Incubus Album... Stars Die 8 1,195 01-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Last Post: Stars Die