Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Direct Lossless Sour Download
http://db.tt/COx8Kmo

Hopefully everything important is covered on that page. If you have any questions, however, I will be glad to answer them here.

Remember to download all of the files, including the original lineage information in the info.txt and the hash check Ours.md5 file!

Unless my ISP decides to get holy on me, the download speed should be good and the files stay put where they are.

Edit 2010/08/20: Files uploaded to Dropbox for now
Ok, so I'd need to download Flak before I try downloading these files, correct? Also, I have dial-up at home, so should I wait and do this on a high speed computer? I started downloading "Dracula's Bride," but that one song was going to take over an hour!

I have the version of Sour that Pirate Girl is offering and it sounds pretty darn good and it's an mp3.
Thanks for the lossless!
For those wondering about the bigger-than-usual size of these files, I would like to try and explain... I often see people scratching their heads whenever they come head to head with lossless audio for the first time, I know I quite did.

For a simple parallel, you can compare lossless audio to normal compressed archives (like .zip, .rar and .ace), only this time someone has strived to devise algorithms and methods (like linear prediction) that are especially suited and geared completely towards the compression of audio and its subsequent sharing.

Lossless audio codecs (FLAC, SHN, Wavpack, Ape) exist for a simple reason: To make sure audio does not get damaged. Whenever you encode, say, CD audio with a "lossy" codec (mp3, mpc, ogg, .m4a etc), they reduce the file size of the songs by simply damaging the original file by removing some of the less audible wavelengths and features in the audio.

Especially the trading community sees it important to maintain audio quality and lineages; Imagine: Earlier, with cassette tapes, a fourth-generation copy of a tape would be literally nothing but damaged hiss. Same with vinyl copies, resulting in nothing but jitter, crack and pop.

What we have here is a surprisingly good copy of the Sour tape with very good lineage - it sounds pristine. To encode it with a lossy codec would simply take away its original purpose. The lossless audio scheme is simply a means of preservation in the day and age of digital destruction.

Trathena - Yes, you must download a FLAC "plugin" to be able to decode the audio for playback. For users with little experience, I would recommend Winamp as it supports FLAC out of the box.

I do personally prefer the old 2.9x tree compared to the new AOLamp 5, however. Windows Media Player users can try either Illiminable or CoreFLAC.

Mac users could go, for instance, with XiphQT, it supports FLAC playback for Quicktime/iTunes.
Thank you, Mortis, for the explanation. This seems like something I'm going to miss out on, but I had no idea about any of this, so [stan-voice] I learned something today.[/stan-voice]
Thanks for sharing this with everyone!
Mortis - you are my hero! The quality is outstanding and much clearer than the one I had.

I also ended up finding a great little freeware media player that plays just about everything, including FLAC. KMPlayer seems much better than Windows Media, VLC, Winamp which I've never got along with and the many others I've tried in the past.

Someobdy recommended I save my albums on my computer as FLAC and then convert them to MP3 etc... from there if I need to. Takes up loads of room but seeing as I have about 500 Gb of hard disk space, I think I'll give it a try. What software would you recommend to rip to FLAC?
Pirate Girl Wrote:Someobdy recommended I save my albums on my computer as FLAC and then convert them to MP3 etc... from there if I need to. Takes up loads of room but seeing as I have about 500 Gb of hard disk space, I think I'll give it a try. What software would you recommend to rip to FLAC?

Arr! That's a really good recommendation overall. Personally I wouldn't mind about ripping CDs you own to lossless audio, but if you ever happen to download live or rare recordings and bootlegs, those I would pay extra attention to keeping on your hard drive for future sharing and caring overall.

I just recently bumped into this nice-looking application, called Trader's Little Helper: http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/
Sorry about double posting guys, but I'd just like to remind you of this opportunity. Please download yourself a copy - I can't imagine it getting any easier than this!
this is going straight to my external, thank you :-D
Mortis,
Much appreciated for creating this copy as I have been looking for a better version that the one I own, but for the record you left out one of the main creative genius in your notes who performed on all of the tracks ‘Dave Milone’ guitar, vocals, as well as one of the main writers of the material. Also Scott’s name is 'Grecco' not Gnecco and is not related to Jimmy in any way. Thanks
name Wrote:Mortis,
Much appreciated for creating this copy as I have been looking for a better version that the one I own, but for the record you left out one of the main creative genius in your notes who performed on all of the tracks ‘Dave Milone’ guitar, vocals, as well as one of the main writers of the material. Also Scott’s name is 'Grecco' not Gnecco and is not related to Jimmy in any way. Thanks

I hope I did not come off unclear in stating that I'm only sharing the release and that the original notes for the release were typed by someone else. Wish I knew who it was who originally put out the lossless version.

You're absolutely right, though, that there are errors in the details, but I thought it unfit to modify someone else's lineage information. I could, I guess, modify the details on the web page while still leaving the original info file intact Smile
Mortis, I've finally figured this out and I've been downloading the music, and I'm up to "Use Me," but I have to stop until Monday. Will the files still be available on Monday? Thank you for this!
No worries Trathena! I'm hoping I can keep it up long enough so that everyone who reads this forum gets at the very least a chance to take it. If any of you have friends or know other forums (especially with Ours fans) with people that would potentially be interested in the download, please post the link around!
Mortis Wrote:No worries Trathena!

Got it! All of it. It's just stunning. I can't thank you enough.
Anybody still in need for a dose of lossless Sour? Smile
Thanks for keeping this up. I'm still getting requests for Sour every once in a while and it's nice to have a place to refer people (and in a loseless format too!)
Oops, just saw this. Im going to get it now thank you very much.

Jack
WOW! OMFG! The quality is incredible, it's like a different album, I'm hearing loads of sounds I didnt hear before. It sounds like it was recorded yesterday.

I wonder how the quality of the other version got so bad? I have downloaded loads of mp3 bootlegs and FLAC and SHN of lots of different band, but the quality difference in these two versions is the biggest I've heard. Had know idea, glad I found out.

Thank you so much.

p.s. so Liad actually played on Sour. I never noticed that before.

Jack
This version was professionally remastered.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Download some OURS rarieties! Fiasco! 15 4,784 12-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Trathena
  Ours- One (U2 Live Cover) download powernoize 36 5,220 11-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Acrobat
  Seeking Sour Tapes mjstokes 5 1,306 05-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Last Post: otsegoflake
  Sour Mp3s? InLoveWithTheMoon 3 923 03-25-2008, 04:28 AM
Last Post: Trathena
  Links to Download Official Ours Releases will not be tolerated Fiasco! 0 2,046 03-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Fiasco!
  Secure, Lossless EAC Flac rip of the 3 Song Tour Sampler jlatham 0 631 11-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Last Post: jlatham
  Download the 3-song sampler Britney Shears 28 4,973 11-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Last Post: inn
  Download Sour HERE Fiasco! 44 9,657 05-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Last Post: musegyuri
  Download - USC Ground Zero Cafe 11-15-03 Partial Soundboard jlatham 8 1,680 05-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Last Post: jlatham
  Sour Live Itlan 1 721 09-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Last Post: wolf22fireriv