Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend or Find New Music!
We all share at least one thing - our love for the music of Ours, so we know we have good taste!

Recommend bands here - new bands, bands you love, bands that have a similar sound to Ours or a completly different sound, whatever!

If possible, please include links to make it easy to check them out (myspace, official sites, etc).

My first recommendation would be The Dresden Dolls - http://myspace.com/dresdendolls

Female vocalist/pianist and male drummer - their music is considered "Punk Cabaret" but it really is indiscribable. There is a lot of engery and chemistry between them, it's hard to believe the music is from just two people! I saw them live in April and it was one of my favorite concerts. Her voice is really neat, it's a female rock voice, the type of voice you dont here often and mix that with substantial lyrics = :punk:

Recommended especially to fans of female vocalists, Fiona Apple, Regina Spektor etc and especially to people interested in hearing something new.
Will check it out. Fiona Apple is in my list of intense likings, so I will follow your lead.
Just don't listen to their second album, it's awful.
Ok, so 2 words... Mike Patton. Amazing stuff, I heard about it from my friends at the Pitchshifter message board.

Peeping Tom Myspace
thanks Hayley..I've heard some Dresden Dolls..they are not bad, not anything that has caught my attention as a whole tho..but I may want to hear more.

I could suggest..well frankly too many things since not everyone here seems to be as into the Prog stuff that my past/present listening brought me to. I've mentioned Pure Reason Revolution in the 2006 albums thread..

after seeing one of those videos last nite with an interview with Jimmy..he talked about his love for Jellyfish and that inspired me to put SPILT MILK in today for a spin...mann those guys were great!..and now knowing Jimmy was such a big fan, it makes me appreciate them even more I guess. I even have 14 DVDs of bootlegs and things with them a guy sent me that I have not watched even 1/2 of them yet. I also know Jimmy once played GLUTTON OF SYMPATHY live which I've never heard and really would LOVE TO.

So my suggestion for today is Jellyfish..check them up on myspace http://www.myspace.com/jellyfishband
and here's a video on youtube of JOINING A FANCLUB &search=andy%20sturmer

just think when you hear them how much Jimmy loves them and how much they inspired him.

Kyle
The M's - Future Women

Great album, my favorite of the year so far. They are a lot of fun live, too.
James Harvey

he has a bit of a Gnecco/Buckley sound (both among his influences) he also has a good scream like them. check out Unforgiving
I saw dresdon dolls support NIN they were very unusual and somewhat theatrical in their performance.

I'm really getting into PJ Harvey at the moment, so if anyone has overlooked thier great female musician then backtrack and listen!
inn Wrote:I saw dresdon dolls support NIN they were very unusual and somewhat theatrical in their performance.
See, it's weird that you'd say that because when you think of the word "theatrical" you'd assume that it'd be a dramatic, over the top sort of play performance. But for the most part they are stationary at their instruments without any props. Sure they wear some make up, but other than that, "theatrical" is a term often associated with them in live reviews but its unconventional at best! Smile

inn Wrote:I'm really getting into PJ Harvey at the moment, so if anyone has overlooked thier great female musician then backtrack and listen!
I'm actually getting into her as well. A few months ago I got all (or just about all) of her CDs and started to listen to her more and try to appreciate her music... because I too once overlooked her! (Same with Fiona Apple, once I paid attention and seriously listened to her music I realized what I was missing!).

Coninsidentially enough, The Dresden Dolls, who do a lot of covers actually, covered Rid of Me by PJ Harvey. I think it's pretty good Smile

http://automaticjoy.com/mp3/Covers/The_D...dence).mp3
Ashlee,
That band James Harvey Band sound awfully like SKETCHES-era Jeff Buckley..I am going to have to hear more, thanks!

Kyle
It's good stuff! From what we've heard from him, James is a nice guy too. Confusedmile2:
Yeah he does have a sketches type sound. sometimes a bit too much which might make someone think he tried to sound like jeff. I don't think so though, but if you can get pass that it's really good music.
James is a really cool guy and very nice. when I bought the album he messaged me telling me he and the band are about to work on another album, doing it on their own (no producer, no studio). which should be pretty cool. I'm looking forward to that, I loved the first album.
Now here's a guy that I've been listening to alot of.  His name's Scott Matthews and he sounds a bit like Jeff Buckley and Nick Drake, but different.  http://www.myspace.com/scottmatthewsmusic .  I strongly recommend it.  The songs paint a musical landscape that is captivating.  I recommend downloading 'City Headache' off his new album, Passing Stranger. So that aside, you can preview his music on the myspace address above, on the iTunes music store, or go to his website at http://www.scottmatthewsmusic.co.uk/   Let me know if you like it.  City Headache is awesome, I can upload it to anyone who wants it, it's worth it.

Cheers
You guys can go ahead and recommend something that doesn't sound like a Jeff Buckley rip-off any time now.
something other than juff buckley eh?  okay, there's this new female artist out named Corrine Bailey Rae that I would recommend to anyone who likes r&b, soul, or soft rock (a sort of mix of anna nalick, norah jones, and stevie wonder).  it has a nice, chill groove to it.  Also, check out Ben Harper, he plays folk/blues traditional acoustic guitar, its good stuff.  Another artist that has a bit of an eclectic appeal is Malajube, of Quebec.  The words are in french and it is mainly indie, but rather unique than anything i've heard.  if you want more, check out Esthero, a female producer who has two albums that both sound completely different, yet very similar.  kay, thats my story...
thisotherkingdom Wrote:You guys can go ahead and recommend something that doesn't sound like a Jeff Buckley rip-off any time now.

haha...kind of ironic considering that this is an Ours board and there are more than a few people that consider Jimbo a Jeffbo rip-off, too, eh?

Seriously, if you want something totally different and challenging, then you should check out TV on the Radio if you already haven't...

staring at the sun

They have an EP called Young Liars, an LP called Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes, and an EP/Single called New Health Rock...all of which were through 4 AD and Tough and Go Records...they recently signed with Interscope to release their new LP called Return to Cookie Mountain...which is by far the best album I've heard this year so far...it'll be released July 3rd everywhere except the US...no US date yet because Interscope sucks balls. You can find other live videos on youtube...

oh, and the LP Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes won the Shortlist prize for best album across all genres even beating out your precious Muse's Absolution Tongue
Fiasco! Wrote:See, it's weird that you'd say that because when you think of the word "theatrical" you'd assume that it'd be a dramatic, over the top sort of play performance. But for the most part they are stationary at their instruments without any props.  Sure they wear some make up, but other than that, "theatrical" is a term often associated with them in live reviews but its unconventional at best! Smile

I'm actually getting into her as well. A few months ago I got all (or just about all) of her CDs and started to listen to her more and try to appreciate her music... because I too once overlooked her! (Same with Fiona Apple, once I paid attention and seriously listened to her music I realized what I was missing!).

Coninsidentially enough, The Dresden Dolls, who do a lot of covers actually, covered Rid of Me by PJ Harvey. I think it's pretty good Smile

http://automaticjoy.com/mp3/Covers/The_D...dence).mp3

I don't know, it's something about the way they perform, despite their makeup and and lack of movement. It's just so controlled and percise, yet loose at the same time. The drummer is amazing come to think of it. Actually their performance can be quite mesmorising from what I remember.

It's wierd because before that nin gig i have barely heard of the dresdon dolls, and then all of a sudden there wa a big boom and it was like everyone knew about them and loved them.

PJ harvey is amazinngg. If you listen to songs like Dress (which I've gotten into recently) you can see how clever it is. She is also one character that has an air of sexuality that doesn't seem forced or put on. This is a great video:

Cheers for that cover! Another band, which I'm not into recomending because it's a totally diff area of music that people might be into. A band called My Ruin also did a cover of Rid of me on one of their albums, it took me a while to realise I had it heh...

I never heard of fiona apple until a friend mentioned her, again she is an underated female musician.

Have also been listening to Alice in Chains unplugged, an old band but heh good album.

I do want to recoment Head Automatica, a verging on 'emo' type band but very catchy and funky and makes you want to groove a bit. Give a listen if you feel like it.
spaz Wrote:
thisotherkingdom Wrote:You guys can go ahead and recommend something that doesn't sound like a Jeff Buckley rip-off any time now.

Seriously, if you want something totally different and challenging, then you should check out TV on the Radio if you already haven't...

staring at the sun

They have an EP called Young Liars, an LP called Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes, and an EP/Single called New Health Rock...all of which were through 4 AD and Tough and Go Records...they recently signed with Interscope to release their new LP called Return to Cookie Mountain...which is by far the best album I've heard this year so far...it'll be released July 3rd everywhere except the US...no US date yet because Interscope sucks balls.  You can find other live videos on youtube...

oh, and the LP Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes won the Shortlist prize for best album across all genres even beating out your precious Muse's Absolution Tongue

Yeah, they're a great band.  Have you listened to Return to Cookie Mountain yet, their second LP?  It isn't released until July I think, but it umm, can be obtained.  They pick up right where they left off.

spaz Wrote:haha...kind of ironic considering that this is an Ours board and there are more than a few people that consider Jimbo a Jeffbo rip-off, too, eh?

Well, yeah, I had that in the back of my mind when I was posting that. However, I can hear distinct differences between Jimmy and Jeff. It wouldn't take me a second to identify either. That Scott Matthews guy, listen to his song "Elusive." Especially the first couple bars of his singing, it's like DEAD-ON Buckley.
Hmmm, so you want different...

Check out Porcupine Tree or Opeth.

I'm not giving genres because you're going to be the one making that decision.
Yea, I have had "return to cookie mountain" since March...I ordered it from the 4 AD website since they're releasing before it's released in the US by interscope...July 3rd vs. supposedly August, but there's nothing even on the interscope website.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Music game Fiasco! 183 30,274 03-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Last Post: rhettricol
Smile post you favorite YouTube music videos KillTheBand 13 3,753 02-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Last Post: aaronsharapova
  amazing music video and song digenger 1 579 01-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Last Post: owaispoul
  For Those Of You Who Like Music So Heavy It Can Make Someone Vomit toolerawk 3 650 03-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Last Post: toolerawk
  Can Rick Rubin Save the Music Industry? (LONG READ) SoundscapeMN 5 1,289 10-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Last Post: AnthonyDaniel
  D_composure "Faking The Deathwish" Music Video Now Up! TheMoth 3 722 09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Trathena
  OURS myspace music profile rekey 7 1,115 06-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN