Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Poetry Forum?
I think it might be beneficial and popular. For those of us who are musicians and writers, and find ourselves drawn to such a page as this, a poetry forum might prove worthy of trial.

I'm sure some might find it useful for linking members to their websites and other forums for creative minds. Just a thought.
Just some questions -
Do you think the forum would be popular? Why do you think it might be better suited to have an entire forum devoted to Poetry rather than a thread in the General Discussion forum? Should it be just for writing, or other art? I've seen many message boards with all sorts of variations of this... one of the better things about it is that it sort of helps to develop a stronger community, however there's also negatives - first concern would be that the forum isnt updated much, and second concern would be does it take attention off of the band Ours?
Fiasco! Wrote:Just some questions -
A) Do you think the forum would be popular? Why do you think it might be better suited to have an entire forum devoted to Poetry rather than a thread in the General Discussion forum? B) Should it be just for writing, or other art? C) I've seen many message boards with all sorts of variations of this... one of the better things about it is that it sort of helps to develop a stronger community, however there's also E) negatives - first concern would be that the forum isnt updated much, and F) second concern would be does it take attention off of the band Ours?

A) Yes, I do believe it would be popular. I think this group (killtheband.com) is already knit together pretty tightly considering the number of members and the regularity with which members converse about music and lyrics.

Yes, someone could start the thread in the general chat area. However, I doubt many people read many of the posts in threads which of five pages before you reach the current state of conversation. It's sometimes hard to seperate comments on any particular poem, and the beginning of new ones. Also, it takes away from the generality of art when posted amoungst a sea of other links, thoughts, ideas, pictures and artists. Before I even wrote my original suggestion I thought about posting some of my stuff, but it didn't see anything else except music links and "show yourself" threads. I don't believe i'm the first person to do that or to think it a good idea for an Art Forum to be created. Maybe i'm the first to suggest it.

B) It could be for both poetry, music, and other art (sketches, abstracts, w/e).

C) You're point about the community is one of mine as well. As written above: this is already a tight knit community. I'm sure alot of the links to individuals' websites, art forums, etc., would be included. Maybe I mistated the idea, by "Poetry Forum". More as an open door for the artistically inclined. It might also clean up the general chat, where you have ssix, ten 5 page long threads on a subject and by the time you get to the last page to comment, the point or thoughts already been made, so why bother.

The general chat forum is supposed to involve everything unrelated to Ours. Other bands (countless threads), Websites for this and that, links my house and your house (joking), comments, questions, posts in the wrong forum, you get the point...everything is there.
I think an Art Forum might help the website more than distract from it. Being a writer myself, I understand how hard it is to find an outlet on the web where 50,000 people go through and read your stuff. Five people might comment, but there will rarely ever be a comrodery with others such as yourself (we all have Ours in common), then a site such as killtheband.com.

The great thing about a forum like this is the little need for updating. It has a tendancy to take care of itself. Unlike the general chat in which someone could post a picture of grape jelly and tell you how amazing homemade grape jelly is, the art forum has a purpose easily understood. I think the moderation and disntinction between Art Forums and General Chat is easily made.

You're Right: There are many different variations of this on other websites; specifically other band websites. Trust me i've seen them, though popular, those bands aren't Ours, and Ours is a very poetic and lyrically inclined band.

All in all, it's w/e. Just a suggestion, and really you can do what you'd like. I do think people who are interested in out or the many hundreds of people who have found this page in hopes of finding something different, something relatable, might find a poetry forum inviting.

I stumbled onto this site a long time ago, and to be honest, after downloading what I could download and read all i could read on the band, I became a member to comment on the show I saw. What's left after that? What's left after the links, the vids, the questions and the news? It's the General chat for other bands, comparisons and contrasts of Jimmy to someone else or whatnot...and then....a place where people can relate on a deeper level?

Damn that was long. haha. Sorry bout that.
As I've mentioned before, I believe, there is absolutely no need for five(!) different Ours sections. I think this message board needs to be revamped.
There should be one, all-encompassing Ours section. Within that section, you can make all the threads you want about shows, album talk, "lol omg jimmy is so hawt, rawk on lol", etc.
There should then be a music/literature/art section. Poetry and the like can be placed here. You can make a thread for it.
A site suggestions section.
And then a general chat / misc. section.

Hell, maybe even throw in an issues section if people begin posting more and care to discuss news/religion/politics/so on.

This could be a more successful message board, but it's just too limited in its current form. I know, it's an Ours fansite, but I think the site admin will have a difficult time arguing against the points I've made.

Edit: I realize some of you are pretty sensitive, so I'll place a disclaimer. Don't get me wrong, I really value this place and the services provided. But you cannot seriously tell me that it couldn't use an update.
The poetry section sounded promising, so I made a sub-forum in the General discussion area… that’s all you get though! Wink That way it’ll be in its own section and it won’t bloat the number of main sections that show up on the main forum listing page.
Artist’s Hangout
Let me know if you’d like to rename it or change the description.

juturna, good point about there being too many sections for Ours-related info. I dropped the promotion section because the Ours Discussion section can essentially serve the same purpose.

I really like having separate sections for Ours Recordings and Ours Shows though. It can be very difficult to find a certain topic about a show or to find a certain download when everything is located in one large section. Perhaps I'll combine Ours News and the Ours Discussion sections though. That would leave the board looking like this:

OURS Discussion
Discuss Ours here (news would go here as well, in stickied topics)

OURS Shows
Post your concert reviews and photographs!

OURS Recordings
Share live Ours shows, find trades, b+ps, or anything else

General Chat
Discuss anything non-Ours related here
Artist’s Hangout
Share your poetry, music, and other art with the community

Site Suggestions
Discuss or propose improvements to KillTheBand.com

Hayley, what do you think?
I suppose I could also make the Ours Recordings and Ours Shows into subforums of the Ours Discussion section.
KillTheBand Wrote:I suppose I could also make the Ours Recordings and Ours Shows into subforums of the Ours Discussion section.

That's what my suggestion would have been... maybe though instead either have shows a sub section of discussion and let recordings stand seperate or have recordings be a sub of shows and let shows be seperate.

I like my first suggestion, having Ours Shows be a sub forum of Ours Discussion and leaving Ours Recordings it's own forum non attached to Ours Shows - because Ours Recordings encompasses both live recordings/bootlegs and hard to find recordings... but it may just make more sense to put both as a sub of Discussion, as you suggested.
Looks better already Smile
I combined Ours News and Ours Discussion. I think the board looks better with about this many sections, so I won't change the Ours Recordings and Ours Shows sections to subforums. Thanks for the help guys.
that was quick...much better. sub forum works well.
I hope you submit more poetry. What you've already put up is beautiful.

I'm a dumbass with no talent, but I know good stuff when I read it.
I VALUE OTHERS CREATIVITY AND IT WOULD BE A GREAT PLACE TO SHARE ....
Hi. im new to this forum. i want to share Poetry tell me whether u like it.
Word spoken in anger are to truest of them all
The look in your eyes showed me your spite
You were supposed to be the one to catch me if I should fall
But instead you’re the hand that would hold the knife
To stab me in my back
But smile in my face
You shouldn’t say things that my memory won’t erase
I took your words as the gospel
When all they were was hypocritical
You can’t expect me to think this is love
Because love is never ugly
You can’t possible love me
If you’re so content when you know you’ve hurt me
You do it so well as if it was a goal you strived to achieve
Words that come out your mouth often leave me in disbelief
I could be just like you
But then who would win in the end
I guess we were just “lovers”
But I was convinced we were friends
My best friend, that’s what I thought of you, that’s what you were,
But I guess it was one-sided, my love was too much to endure
I’ve tolerated so much of your pain
I guess I’ve just become numb
But just because I tolerated it
Don’t confuse my tolerance for being dumb
You should consider yourself lucky to have a love like mine
If I knew it was going to be like this I wouldn’t have wasted my time
…My love
…My years
…My heart
…My tears
Because right now you deserve no part of me
My man
My boo
My lover
The father of My kids
Damn…this isn’t how it’s has supposed to be
I’m really hoping that this is just a phase
I can’t see this going on for too many more days
And if it does I’m letting you know before hand
Your going to end wishing you would’ve been a better man
Because the “tolerabler” can only tolerate the intolerable for so long
And so long I have been tolerant, loyal and strong
I realize now that you cannot fix what supposedly is not “broken”
But wait…how do you fix what is broken and has falling apart
Glue????
Since when do they make glue for a heart…

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A "Non-Ours" Sub-Forum SoundscapeMN 5 3,008 05-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Last Post: juturna