Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Idol
Who's watching it?

Could Adam be more emo?

Could the new girl be more "not needed"?

[whoa! I'm even offended by what I wrote here! deleted]

I'm a week behind, so I can't follow up on this thread until I catch up because I don't want spoilers.

Edited: Sorry about that, everyone.
I never, ever (Ever! Seriously.) watched American Idol before this season. Somehow I caught one of those audition episodes and then tuned in for the first two days of the actual competition. I was kind of fond of the girl that seemed to annoy everyone and once she got the boot I was said "fuck this" and stopped it there before I got hooked. Smile
Lifer, I'm with you. I had never really watched Idol so intently until last season - I had watched it off and on and then last year David Cook came onto Idol and stole my heart. So this year I'm watching it and am pretty pleased with who they brought back for the wild card round and am also pretty pleased who the 9 are that have been voted in...

So we'll see Smile
Let me know if the annoying girl, Tatiana Del Toro, makes it onto the show, then I'll consider watching.
hahaha i have totally been watching, i won't deny it...

**SPOILER ALERT, TRATHENA**
Lifer - Tatiana Del Toro is performing tonight, it's sure to be annoying as hell. make sure you tune in! Wink
I've only watched as far as the Wild Card picks. I'm actually OK with all of them. I think that Adam, Danny, and Ricky are head and shoulders talented above anyone else.
I love this dorky show and everything about it. Even Tatiana. Shine on, you batshit diamond!

*SPOILER ALERT, TRATHENA*

Anoop could sing Bobby Brown songs every week and I'd be happy. So glad that he made it through. Megan, on the other hand, totally sucks. I really wish it had been Jesse instead.
Batshit Diamond? haha.. sweet.
hahaha...

**SPOILER ALERT, TRATHENA**

Acrobat Wrote:I love this dorky show and everything about it. Even Tatiana. Shine on, you batshit diamond!

*SPOILER ALERT, TRATHENA*

Anoop could sing Bobby Brown songs every week and I'd be happy. So glad that he made it through. Megan, on the other hand, totally sucks. I really wish it had been Jesse instead.

i was so happy when Anoop made it through! he looked genuinely shocked when they told him he was 13!! i also gotta admit i'm loving that dude who sung Michael Jackson's Man In The Mirror...i can't remember his name right now, Kris maybe? adorable!

i don't get what the deal is with them loving Megan. she's gorgeous, but her voice is average at best. whenever they tell her she's "so relevant" i am instantly annoyed.
I was THRILLED Anoop made it through - the look on his face was absolutely priceless and just awesome. Megan annoys the HELL out of me - I would have liked to see Jesse instead - but I do like Jasmine. Megan is pretty but I don't know - her voice is just eh.
So -- the theme next week is Michael Jackson. Adam really needs to sing "Give In to Me." Danny will probably sing "Heal the World," and I will throw shit at my television when he does.
Acrobat Wrote:So -- the theme next week is Michael Jackson. Adam really needs to sing "Give In to Me." Danny will probably sing "Heal the World," and I will throw shit at my television when he does.

Oh Erin, how I love you. We'll all join you in the shit throwing at the tv when he does sing that (because you're probably right about what Danny will sing)
This is going to be such a fucking trainwreck. I can't wait.
I know I'm late in this, but . . .

Why the hell was tattoo girl chosen? I'd have preferred Tatiana to her, as much as I hate her.

Anoop is great. Love him. But he needs to work a bit harder and control his voice if he plans to be competitive with Adam and Danny.

I liked Ricky better than Geraud (sp?), but he made a stupid, stupid choice in song and Geraud (sp?) was just brilliant.

I'm about a week behind on this show, clearly.
Well, that was interesting. More often boring that trainwreck-y, unfortunately. Fortunately, Megan came through for me -- her flapping her arms and going, "Caw! Caw!" at the end of her performance was easily the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen on this show. Including Sanjaya. AWESOME.

As much as I can't stand Danny, if you only listened and didn't watch his spastic white-boy dancing, he was pretty fantastic. Awesome voice.

Massive props to Allison and Alexis for picking my two favorite MJ songs. Allison was the better of the two, though, and I would have killed for Adam to have sung either of their songs. And the sound mixing totally sucked, because "Give In to Me" and "Dirty Diana" need really loud guitars and dramatic arrangments, and I could barely hear the band. When Kris was up, I think somebody forgot to plug in his guitar. I really liked him, though.

Going back to Adam -- he completely schools everybody when it comes to working a stage and his range is ridiculous, but I'm not sure I actually like the sound of his voice. I don't care at the moment, though, because he's so good-looking it makes me wish I were a gay man.

...aaaand I've overshared a little.
Allison is awesome! Shes my favorite. I thought Alexis was awesome too and I cant believe they were so hard on her. I like Adam, but I know what you mean, his voice is kind of opera-ish and over the top, I was surprised the judges loved his performance last night as much as they did.
These kids had a very difficult assignment. Michael Jackson? Damn.

The standouts for me:

Danny: “Pretty Young Thing”!  Oh my god!  There are so many better songs he could have chosen.  My husband said, “That's a good Huey Lewis spin on it.”  haha!  But the judges loved it.  Clearly, they heard something that I did not.  I love Danny, though.

I think that Paula's drunk.  As am I.

Have you ever noticed that on every show, there's a girl by a mic that shrieks like a banshee and you can hear her above everyone else?  It's kind of like an Ours bootleg.

Jasmine: I know she's probably here because of demographics, but I'm glad she's here.  I don't think she'll win, but I enjoy her a heck of a lot better than Lil.

The judges are like high school kids and I hate every one of them.

Anoop: If he keeps acting stupid and they keep calling him “Anoop Dog,” I'm gonna start hating him.  “Beat It”!!  God.  He messed up the lyrics.  I love Anoop, but he needs to do better and take this competition more seriously.

Jorge: He sings so good.  Again, I heard something the judges did not.

Adam: I adore this guy.  He is incredibly talented.  He was the best of the night.  He's my favorite on the show.  When that woman said, “I hope Michael Jackson is watching tonight,” my spouse said, “I think Adam's a little old for him.”  Oh snap!

Matt: He's very good. It'd be great to have him take second place.  To Adam.  Second place to Adam.  Who will win.

Alexis: She wasn't pleased with her performance.  She's better than she was tonight. It'd be great to have her take second place.  To Adam.  Second place to Adam.  Who will win.

The ones I do not like:

Scott: I actually resented him up until now because I thought he was only on the show because he's blind.  They mention his visual impairment every time they critique him, and I didn't think he belonged here.  I'm still not sure he does.  This is the best I've heard him so far, though.

Allison: No.

Kris: I never remember anything about Kris.  Simon hurt his wife's feelings, which sucks.

Michael: This guy reminds me of my cousins who bullied me growing up.  He also reminds me of the guys in high school that picked on the smaller ones.  He also reminds me of frat boys.  I can't be unbiased about him, so I won't comment.  Except that he's off-key.

Megan: I hate Rockin' Robin.  God how I hate it.  And I don't think she has a stunning voice.

Edited to add: Lil. Because I do not like Lil.
Trathena Wrote:Have you ever noticed that on every show, there's a girl by a mic that shrieks like a banshee and you can hear her above everyone else?  It's kind of like an Ours bootleg.

HA! And so true.

Next week is country music. Somebody fucking shoot me, please. Ugh.

Oh, and Kelly Clarkson? I think you're pretty awesome. Now fire your hairstylist, please.
Well, that was interesting. Just for the record, I HATE country music with very few exceptions. Fortunately, several of those exceptions actually made their way onto the show last night.

Sarver - Bleh. To be fair to him, I couldn't understand a word of the song when Garth sang it either, but he's just not that good. Seems like a nice guy and everything, but this isn't Nice Guy Idol. I'd rather have Tatiana in the finals than him.

Lil - Utterly boring competence, just like last week. Did she even bother to think about what the lyrics mean before singing them? I usually kinda like Martina McBride even though her songs can be message-y and melodramatic, mainly because 1) she seems to mean them when she sings 'em, and 2) her voice is incredible. Lil had neither of these things going for her.

Scott - Musical valium.

Allison - I like her. I can't decide if she looks more like a red-headed Rachel Ray or Kelly Clarkson.

Anoop - I love "Always on My Mind." Love, love, love. Awesome vocal. That's exactly what he needed.

Kris - His voice is pretty and so is he, but I didn't love this as much as the judges. Actually, I liked him way better last week. And that singing-out-of-the-side-of-his-mouth thing is weird and off-putting. Stop doing that with your face, Kris!

Matt - Dug the arrangement, but this kid needs singing lessons, stat. Relax your jaw, dude. Yikes.

Danny - "Jesus, Take the Wheel"? Are you fucking kidding me? You were great last week, but after that I'm right back to hating your smarmy ass. I am so sick of "inspirational" message ballads. Even when you take all of that heavy-handed bullshit away, his singing wasn't that great.

Danny's going to win this whole fucking thing, isn't he?

Alexis - Picked another one of my favorites with "Jolene," but this wasn't great. I'm starting to think that her voice isn't nearly as good as she (or the judges) think it is.

Megan - Though I hate country, I do love Patsy Cline, and this was a weirdly good fit for Megan's voice. Shame she was sick. Just like Lil, though, she didn't have the slightest clue what she was singing about. That's not a happy song, Megan. Stop smiling. And her boobs scared the crap out of me.

Adam - Where to start with you, my fabulous gay boy?

On the one hand, I think Johnny Cash actually would have appreciated what he did there, considering how many oddball-yet-awesome covers he did towards the end of his life, and how much he liked to give the middle finger to the establishment. I kinda love how Adam was all, "Country week? Fuck that. Bring on the sitars, bitches." And it was completely worth it to see the supreme awkwardness of Randy Travis trying to deal with him. I think the combination of Adam himself and that weird-ass arrangement completely blew his mind and left him a stuttering, catatonic mess. AWESOME.

On the other hand... he probably alienated a good portion of the voters with that, and not just the country fans. That was the weirdest freaking thing I've ever seen on this show, so much so that I still don't know if I liked it or not. It was awesome in its sheer WTF-ness, but was it actually good? I dunno. I'll have to watch it a dozen times before I figure that one out. And the eye-fucking was a little over-the-top, even by Adam's lofty standards.

Oh, and I know why he couldn't say where he got that arrangment on-air, just that he "found it": it was straight from Dilana's performance of it on Rockstar: Supernova.
it might be worth adding, apparently (I don't watch any reality tv, including this show) Adam mentioned how the song he sang "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash was "the Jeff Buckley version" or something.

However, Jeff Buckley, from pretty much any info online at least, NEVER covered that song. Granted, probably 98% of the viewers would have no idea or care, but for the Buckley peeps like myself, it's pretty laughable when a comment like that is said.