Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Idol
Anoop - He was on the right track by picking Usher, since the most marketable place for him to be is that contemporary young R&B Usher/Chris Brown/Nee-yo place. Then he picks the worst possible song from Usher's list of hits to sing. It's monotonous and tuneless, and you've got a problem if your song is one where you don't give a shit what the singing sounds like and you just want to watch Usher and a dozen backup dancers kill it. "You Don't Have to Call" or "You Got It Bad" would have worked better. Those songs require actual singing.

Megan - Is awful. Go home, Caw Caw.

Danny - Not as well-sung as the judges thought it was, but nice enough. But this show is looking for a pop star, and this guy has no star-quality. None. It'd be like if one of your co-workers showed up at karaoke night and turned out to have an awesome voice. You've be all, "Huh, that's nice." But you wouldn't buy one of his albums because that would be stupid.

Allison - A little breathy and rushed in spots, but overall really good. She's still one of my favorite. That wardrobe was from hell, though.

Scott - His best performance so far, but this is on the Sliding Scale of Scott's Suckitude, which means it was only passable. He can stay this week, but he still bores the shit outta me. And I hate that song. Scott is just so.... tepid AM Lite. The world does not need another Bruce Hornsby. The world didn't need the original version of Bruce Hornsby, either, so that's a double-whammy of being totally fucking unnecessary. Scott seems like a cool guy, though.

Lil - Is just Not. That. Good. Sorry. Her kids are adorable, though.

Matt - Eh. I'm kinda with you on this one, Trathena. And why do the judges keep referring to The Fray as "rock"? WRONG.

Adam - Love you, dude, but this felt like coasting to me. My least-favorite performance of his. It was still good because it's Adam, but I dunno.

Kris - Loved it! Best of the night for me.
Is it just me, or does David Cook sound terrible?
Not terrible, just strangely low-energy. His falsetto was weirdly weak, too. His voice is tired from touring, maybe? I dunno.
Still love him!

By the way, your critiques are so funny, Erin. And insightful. :-)
What the hell is up with Megan? She kinda has no dignity.
Well, she's a reality show contestant. I think they screen contestants for any traces of dignity during the application process. If you have any, you're not allowed on TV.

(And thanks! I love ripping on cheesy-yet-entertaining TV. I draw the line at Rock of Love, though. That show will give you herpes.)
Erin, you said, "Caw,Caw." What the heck is that all about?

Poor Megan. She's acting like she doesn't care, but it's all bravado.
Holy crap, you didn't see that? On MJ night she flapped her arms and cawed at the end of "Rockin' Robin." Because she is an idiot.
Acrobat Wrote:Holy crap, you didn't see that? On MJ night she flapped her arms and cawed at the end of "Rockin' Robin." Because she is an idiot.

And she's still doing it . . . why? It's pretty horrible and I'm embarrassed for her.

And Simon totally verbally slapped her face tonight. Damn.

Your rock of love statement is going to be my new sig. line.
Whoa, I made your sig line? Kickass.
Acrobat Wrote:Whoa, I made your sig line? Kickass.

*high-fives Erin and Trathena*

VERY VERY HAPPY as to who went home tonight -- won't say because the show hasn't aired on the west coast yet, but yeah. Smile
wtf...:confused:

edit: stupid smileys still don't work
The Year You Were Born shows are always fun. And holy crap, Allison was born in '92? I feel old. 1997 still feels like yesterday to me.

This will be long. I'm exhausted and bored at work, which means there won't be all that much difference between what I type now and what I'd type if I were drunk.

Danny - That arrangement was absolute ass. The bassline and phrasing are what make "Stand By Me" such a great song anyway, and that version got rid of both of those things. If his voice continues its current trajectory, it'll be shot in three weeks. He gets screamier every week. Screamy can be a good thing, but not when you're already hovering in Michael Bolton territory as it is. Why did the judges like this so much?

Kris - And why did the judges hate this so much? They call this indulgent and give Gokey a free pass? This wasn't great, but it was fun and well-sung. I think Kris is in trouble this week.

Lil - When Paula of all people calls you karaoke, you're fucked.

Scott - You know what his problem is? Aside from the not-being-a-good-singer thing? He officially has the worst taste in music of any Idol contestant. Ever. Worse than Up With the People Gokey, who at least has "P.Y.T." and Ben E. King to his credit. If a song is "inspirational," boring, has the word "dreams" in it, and/or is a staple of 98 FM - Lite Rock, All the Time! - he loves it. Scott loves absolute schlock.

Part of it is his parents' fault. I mean, yeah, I had to listen to a lot of my Mom's crappy music growing up (I know every word to every John Denver song EVER because of her), but she's also the reason that I love Sam Cooke and Otis Redding. That's worth a steady diet of Phil Collins, I think. And then there's Dad, who gave me the Beatles and Stones and Orbison and to this day steals my CDs even though he should be way too old to like the same shit that I do. Scott's parents should have known better. Is THIS the crap they've constantly fed him? Yikes.

And then his friends failed him too, because when you're 16 and all you know is the Top 40, your friends are supposed to turn you into a Metallica fan or get you listening to punk or the Cure or something, and make you hate anything that's vaguely popular until you grow up and get a mind of your own.

So it's all their fault. They're the reason Scott keeps singing this bullshit every week.

Oh, and did you know that Scott is blind?

Anoop - He sounds best with ballads, but he's also slightly boring when he sings them. What a gorgeous voice, though. I'd rather he have gone with "Time After Time."

Matt - I recognize that this was good, but he's kind of lost me in the past few weeks. "Part-Time Lover" is the best kind of 80s cheese there is besides Journey, so I almost wish he didn't rearrange it. Give me shitty synth!

Allison - Was fantastic again on one of the best freaking songs ever written. She shouldn't be able to pull this off at her age. Go, my little Rocker Girl that Could! Go forth and continue being awesome!

Adam - The thing I said about Scott's musical taste? Adam is the absolute opposite. I love "Mad World," I love Adam singing it, and they should just send everyone else home and spend the remaining Idol shows in the season doing the Adam Lambert Variety Hour.
Tonight I'm just going to respond to Acrobat. I'm watching this on TiVo.

Acrobat Wrote:The Year You Were Born shows are always fun. And holy crap, Allison was born in '92? I feel old. 1997 still feels like yesterday to me.

Honey. The oldest person on this show was born in 1980. I was entering high school in 1980!

Quote:This will be long. I'm exhausted and bored at work, which means there won't be all that much difference between what I type now and what I'd type if I were drunk.

I'm doing this sober too! Huh. Oh well. I'll be entertained, at least.

Quote:Danny - That arrangement was absolute ass.

Oh god yes. But I liked the ending. But it was boring until then.

Quote:Kris - And why did the judges hate this so much? They call this indulgent and give Gokey a free pass? This wasn't great, but it was fun and well-sung. I think Kris is in trouble this week.

He took an 80s song and made it a 70s song. But I enjoyed it better than Danny's.

Paula called him "likable" very soon after Randy reinforced that this is a "vocal competition." heh.

Quote:Lil - When Paula of all people calls you karaoke, you're fucked.

What a mess. Off-key the entire song.  It wasn't a "beautiful" anything rendition. I couldn't even watch it. Telling her to be "original" won't help because she's not original. She hasn't been from day one.

Quote:Anoop - He sounds best with ballads, but he's also slightly boring when he sings them. What a gorgeous voice, though. I'd rather he have gone with "Time After Time."

I don't even remember how Anoop acted last week.  Oh yes! He was furious! I remember that. They pissed him off. ha!

Erin, he sounded good, but there are some weak moments there.  But he had some lovely moments. But if he can't write songs? He'll disappear from our world after this competition.

Quote:SympathyVoteScott - You know what his problem is? Aside from the not-being-a-good-singer thing?

That's all I care about. He can't sing well. But I love your points on the crappy song choices too.

Erin, my mom introduced me to Peter, Paul, and Mary and the Mammas and the Papas. From my dad, it was all Motown all the time. :-)

Oh god! That high note! Oh my god. Hold on...

::rewinds:: Yep, it was as bad as I thought it was.

hahaha! When UneededKara began with, "What I like about you..." the Spouse finished, "being blind."

Paula was completely unethical here. "Bravo"? That's inexcusable.

Quote:Oh, and did you know that Scott is blind?

Really? I had no idea.  ::runs to vote for him::

Quote:Allison - Was fantastic again on one of the best freaking songs ever written. She shouldn't be able to pull this off at her age.

I like her more and more each week.  Bonnie Raitt is perfect for her. But I did not like that adornment at the end, and she needs to cut that shit out.

Quote:Matt - I recognize that this was good, but he's kind of lost me in the past few weeks.

Matt, in my opinion, is never judged correctly. He gets dissed when he's awesome, and he gets praised when he's not that great.

I want Matt to do well every week, I admit it. He's Justin Timberlake without the sex appeal.  He began brilliantly, but fell apart at the end. Was he as good as the judges said he was? I don't think so.

I can't ever seem to be on the same wavelength with the judges or audience when it comes to Matt.

Quote:Adam - The thing I said about Scott's musical taste? Adam is the absolute opposite. I love "Mad World," I love Adam singing it, and they should just send everyone else home and spend the remaining Idol shows in the season doing the Adam Lambert Variety Hour.

My TiVo cut off during Adam's kiddie story, so I had to pull this up on YouTube. God that was gorgeous. The Donnie Darko version. I adore this song, and he was perfect. What did the judges say about his performance?

I'd like to see Scott or Lil go.
The judges didn't have enough time to all respond to Adam, so it was just Simon. He basically said, "We're out of time, so I'll speak for everyone." And then he actually stood up and applauded. Holy crap. I've never seen Simon do that, ever.

Quote:Paula called him "likable" very soon after Randy reinforced that this is a "vocal competition." heh.

And go figure -- Kris is pretty much the only person in the Top 12 who hasn't hit a bad note yet. Even Adam's had a wonky note every now and then. I do feel like Kris' voice is consistently ignored by the judges.

Weird thing is, I wouldn't even call myself a huge Kris fan and he doesn't do the type of music I'd buy, but I think he's getting the short end of the judging stick and it's really annoying me.

Quote:Matt, in my opinion, is never judged correctly. He gets dissed when he's awesome, and he gets praised when he's not that great.

Agreed. I'm still not entirely sure what the judges want from him. They acted like he's been completely schizophrenic in his song choices when he dares to go from pop-R&B to (gasp!) pop-rock! Scandal! Except that the most successful winner of the show, Kelly Clarkson, does that all the time. Whatever.

The "you don't know who you are, musically" criticism pisses me off, too, because when the judges say that, they really mean, "You aren't acting like the artist we want you to be. Now get back in your R&B box, monkey."
I agree with everything you've said, Erin.

I really, really hope that Kris is a songwriter. I put him in the same category as Damian Rice, Howie Day, Nick Drake, and Tony Lucca. And I mean that as a compliment. But if he can't write music, I don't know where he's gonna go after this competition.

But I have to add that it's hard not to forget about everyone else every time Adam takes the stage.

And . . . what the hell is this group I'm watching? This guy is out of breath halfway through the "song" (i.e., bad sample).

And all of them are causing The Spouse to launch into a Nature vs. Nurture rant. Don't get me wrong; I don't mind it when he does this, but it's not any fun for him this time of night.
So . . . Kelly Pickler sells records?
--SPOILER--

Oh Scott. I won't tease you anymore.

You know, it's not his fault that he got this far. He should have never gotten out of Hollywood in the first place.

Farewell, SympathyVoteScott! I wish nothing but good things for you.

Trathena Wrote:I really, really hope that Kris is a songwriter.

From what I understand, he is, but I haven't heard any of his original stuff. I might have to do some digging, because I'm curious.

Quote:I put him in the same category as Damian Rice,

Loooove Damien Rice. Not sure if I'd compare Kris to him, but I see what you're getting at.

Quote:But I have to add that it's hard not to forget about everyone else every time Adam takes the stage.

Amen. If Adam doesn't win I'll be shocked.

Quote:And . . . what the hell is this group I'm watching? This guy is out of breath halfway through the "song" (i.e., bad sample).

That would be Flo Rida. I thought "Low" was a fun club song, but this was just baaaaad.

Quote:So . . . Kelly Pickler sells records?

Yeah, I don't get it either. She looked great, but that was about it. (And boy, if that isn't a blanket statement for the industry right now, I don't know what is.)

Bye, Scott! You seem like a nice guy. I wish you could sing better, and I wish the judges hadn't patronized you so damn much.
God Erin, I love both you and Tracy when you get onto your tangents.....

Quote:That would be Flo Rida. I thought "Low" was a fun club song, but this was just baaaaad.

He got muted after he sang the first line. Kellie Pickler too. I can't stand her!

I was glad to see Scott go because it was his time. I really am digging Kris and I love Matt too. I think the two of them have huge amounts of potential, even not winning. I think Kris could get into the final 3 if he plays his cards correctly.

Theme for next week is Songs from the Movies. Quentin Tarentino is the mentor.

THAT should be seriously interesting.