Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muse - The Resistance (2009)
Just saw this over on mikeportnoy.com and now looking

http://www.muse.mu/
http://twitter.com/musewire

"Drum roll please... The new Muse album title is... The Resistance."

a bunch of photos there.

Supposed to be released in September. One of the new songs is to be called "The United States of Eurasia" i guess.
should be good, all MUSE albums are.
beautifulghost Wrote:should be good, all MUSE albums are.

Indeed.
I'm excited to hear a song or two... I can wait for the rest of the CD, just want to know what kind of sound they're going for now Smile
well, fwiw, Bellamy has been quoted about the band trying to write a larger, epic piece with a an Orchestra this time around. Wanting to put out a work as large in-scale as Dark Side of the Moon. I recall him saying they were working on a 15 minute epic piece for this album.

So their very well could be more depth or variety to this new record than their previous stuff.

I agree for the most part, but I found BH&R to be choppy/uneven to me. I only really enjoy about half the songs, which isn't good when a CD only has 11 songs. It's almost like an EP to me.
spaz Wrote:

I agree for the most part, but I found BH&R to be choppy/uneven to me.  I only really enjoy about half the songs, which isn't good when a CD only has 11 songs.  It's almost like an EP to me.

I'm with you.
Absolution is still my favsies

For me its got the right balance of production, hooks, and experiments.

juuuuussst riiiiiiiight Smile

doesn't there arent great and or greater moments on other records, but as a whole, I likes.

Intersted in the new record though. Being I love the orchestral stuff.
spaz Wrote:I agree for the most part, but I found BH&R to be choppy/uneven to me.  I only really enjoy about half the songs, which isn't good when a CD only has 11 songs.  It's almost like an EP to me.

It's going to have to be something spectacular for me to even raise an eyebrow. I find with Muse that my interest wanes extremely quickly with any of their stuff. Mind you, I am the only person I know that went to see them live and thought they were turgid shite rather than the best band I'd ever seen.

I'm apprehensive it's going to be a load of old pretentious wank like a lot of BH&R was.
I think I'm the only one who actually thinks that Blackholes and Revelations might be better than Absolution. Don't get me wrong, when Absolution hits, it hits, but it's too long and bloated in my opinion. Blackholes is a more subtle album at times (although there are some very over the top moments), but songs like "Starlight", "Map of the Problematique", and "Assassin" are just downright stellar - well written and mature. Oh, and they stop sounding so much like Radiohead-Grunge on Blackholes, too.
while I wouldn't agree with you...their not all that different in terms of quality. I find their last 3 albums to all have some nice songs, and some filler. Muse are really too good a band to not make a classic album. I'm hoping this will be it finally.
I agree Kyle. I am still waiting for "the" album by Muse.
toolerawk Wrote:I think I'm the only one who actually thinks that Blackholes and Revelations might be better than Absolution.

I'll take your decision to include "might" literally, and say that you're not. I go back and forth, most often considering those two albums as equally great. They each have little masterpieces of songs on them. I love them both. The only song I'll skip is "A Soldier's Poem." That's the only song I consider "filler." Everything else is always worth listening to.

I don't consider Absolution "bloated," necessarily, but I usually find I'm exhausted by the end of it it. Muse is not the type of band that I can listen to all of their albums, one after the other.

Quote:...songs like "Starlight", "Map of the Problematique", and "Assassin" are just downright stellar - well written and mature.les, too.

I'd add "Hysteria" and "Knights of Cydonia" to that list.

However, I do consider Origin of Symmetry as a complete masterpiece, and I think if they ever came up with something more definitive or "classic" Kyle, I wouldn't be able to stand it.
September 14th

http://www.muselive.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=38495
[Image: 0prog_cr2.jpg]

http://erato1.wordpress.com/2009/06/20/c...e-article/

Quote:"I've tried to push myself to learn new things, be it on an instrument or whatever," he said. "I played piano, but I didn't start progressing until after Showbiz. I'm influenced by a fair bit of classical music, but whe I say that, people think of Mozart, and I hate Mozart. The stuff I'm into is early 19th and 20th century where it's pushing the extremes of the instruments if the time."

Though personally he was split between apathetic resignation at impending global disintegration and unabated joy at simply being alive, musically, Absolution was an affront to a stagnant rock scene that, with the exception of "amazingly important" act like Nirvana, RATM, Refused and Tool, Bellamy had considered to have languished in its creative indifference for far too long.

"Rock, strangely enough, has been one of the most conservative genres around, and it's meant to be the opposite," he explained. "It's been a relative simple formula since the 70's and few bands are willing to push away from that. If you look at the most successful bands in rock from the last 10 years, they don't touch upon an ounce of the creativity of rock from the 70's." Musical wight came from elsewhere. "I recommend everyone out there listen to Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev. It's one of the heaviest pieces of music you'll ever hear.

As 2006’s supermodern Black Holes and Revelations appeared to be the culmination everything Muse had learned so far, their two sold-out nights at the newly constructed Wembley stadium the following year seemed vindication of sticking to principles and never abandoning even the most outré of ideas. Anyone who wanted to congratulate them was welcome. Anyone who wanted to call them genius was less so.

Matt: “Musically to say that is an insult to other artists who’ve done stuff way more challenging than us. It worries me when people perceive this band at the level of genius. People that are genius, I don’t know where they are these days.”
it appears that big things are in store for the boys of MUSE, playing the MTV VMA awards, Matt being a playable character in Guitar Hero 5 and on the cover of just about every music mag in the country. lets just hope the hype isnt bigger than the substance and they deliver another high caliber record
I don't know...I don't like what I've heard so far.  I'll probably pick up a copy, but at this point my expectations are low.
So...

Next week I'll be at their secret NY gig sponsored by MTV (since they're airing their performance of Uprising on the VMAs). Muse is scheduled to play a "full set" in addition to the one song, but rumor is that it will only be 45 minutes (and not an hour and a half). We shall see!

I'll let you guys know how it goes. Admittedly, I only know the two songs off the new record that have already been released by the band - Uprising and United States of Eurasia...

There's also a possibility - though I don't know how good it is - that I'll be going to the Muse album release party at Angels & Kings - a bar in NYC on Tuesday. That's only if I can find a place to crash in NYC from Sunday on - not sure if that'll work.
Just downloaded a leaked version, checking to see if it's the real deal as we speak.
Good album, but I'm wondering how all of these songs are going to be performed live.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imogen Heap - Ellipse (2009) SoundscapeMN 2 666 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Last Post: rsgold
  Where the Wild Things Are (2009) movie+soundtrack SoundscapeMN 2 634 12-15-2009, 02:49 AM
Last Post: jeryruse
  2009 Albums of the Year Anticipation/Tracking SoundscapeMN 47 5,573 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN
  Road recovery 2009 digenger 2 435 05-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Last Post: digenger
  Muse: Upcoming Album (2009?) SoundscapeMN 15 1,382 04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Acrobat
  Muse - Absolution (Instrumental) SoundscapeMN 10 2,355 03-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Trathena
  Muse...ick fenoglio8 14 2,069 01-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Last Post: inn