Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muse - The Resistance (2009)
digging much of this. The energy more than anything else. This may be the 1st Muse record without a filler track, which is what I was hoping for.
I downloaded it but I haven't had a chance to listen yet. I'm hearing good things from people so far, I just hope it's better than BH&R.

On a side note, has anyone noticed how it takes longer for albums to leak these days? Used to be as soon as 2 months and 2 weeks at the latest. This year it seems like most records I've been waiting for have leaked inside of a week and usually not in great quality (rips of free streams and such). I'm itching for that new Pearl Jam!
it's random..Baroness leaked late last week, the drop date is October 13th. Mew leaked in mid July..over a month.

Depends on who gets promos, what the label does when sending them out (are they watermarked). But I do think the labels are trying harder to avoid them, but eventually stuff leaks, even if it's just a few days before the drop date.
Soundscape... have you listened to the new Baroness yet? I was really into the red album but the little bit I've heard from the blue album haven't excited me too much.
yeah i did today finally. My pc bit the dust last week, so I just purchased a new one.

The bitrate isn't perfect at 192, so I took some of the production with a grain of salt. But I am pretty optimistic I'll like it more than The Red Album. Mainly for the acoustic sections and some of the guitar tones and melodies. The sludgey vocals I have never been crazy about, but if the music makes up for it, I can handle them. I think the music is grabbing me more with this one.

But fwiw, on rateyourmusic.com it's not that close to The Red Album, so some people may agree with you.

As far this new Muse album, it's without question my favorite Muse record. It's already found my top 10 albums for 2009.
Wow. I'm really disappointed by this album. With maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, the first 8 tracks are painfully mediocre.

The Exogenesis tracks are great though. It's surprising to me that they are from the same sessions...that's how wide the margin is IMO.
holy fuck wheres the De-Esser when you need it Matt?

I'm gonna give it a few more listens and wait for a real copy before I let myself decide. Its what I had to do for BH&R too.
Not sure how I feel about the new Muse, some songs are great, but as an album, it's too early for me to tell.

Sky, listen to the new Baroness all the way through. It's fucking awesome and totally stacks up to the Red Album. Baroness is quickly becoming one of my favorite riff-driven bands on the planet. Those quitar plays fuckin' rip.

How is the new Mew? I am still on the fence about that band.
well I love Mew, so..in my fanboy opinion, No More Stories is their best album to date. More like the new dredg or Decemberists in a way..it's best to hear all at once, rather than single tracks.
The new songs sound great live.

In addition to performing Uprising for the MTV VMAs, Muse played an entire set (13 songs) that was filmed - right now two videos are available on MTV.com (United States of Eurasia and Resistance). The producer said it was filmed for a show/special to be aired at a later date - let's hope they follow through.

In no particularly order the songs they played last night:

From The Resistance:
Unnatural Selection, Undisclosed Desires, Resistance, United States of Eurasia, Uprising

Other-
New Born, Plug In Baby (!!!!! YESSS! ahem), Starlight, Hysteria, Time Is Running Out, Map of Problematique, Supermassive Black Hole

And they ended with Knights of Cydonia with a really cool harmonica introduction by Chris.
people are just shitting all over this album on a lot of the forums. I frankly, do not get it. It's only flaw I suppose is, it doesn't have any amazing tracks like Stockholm Syndrome or Map of the Problematique, but it's consistently good, beginning-to-end. That's a step in the right direction for them.
It's their least commercial, in my opinion, only a few stand out tracks as singles.

It is an experience listening to it, I must say.

And the songs are fantastic live.
gaahh! When is it available here?
today Smile

Shriek!!
It's better than my initial listen, but I'm not blown away.  I still really can't stand United States of Eurasia.  I think the album flows better than Black Holes, which I skip about half of the songs.  The songs I don't skip are solid though.  OoS and Absolution are my favorites though.
it's pretty sweet how Biffy Clyro is opening for them in Europe this November/December. Too bad I don't live there.
I haven't been shitting on it but I just haven't really absorbed it yet because there's not too much immediate about the album, you have to dig for the hooks because Matt indulged himself on this one. To be continued...
Quote:there's not too much immediate about the album, you have to dig for the hooks because Matt indulged himself on this one.

See, that's where I disagree. They were very indulgent sonically, but as far as the songwriting and the foundations of the songs I hear nothing special.

Melodies and riffing in a style that comes almost automatically out of the Muse back catalogue. Specifically Unnatural Selection's Newborn riff, only with lame vocals on top of it, or Resistance's chorus that reminds me of generic Showbiz-era bombast but with less intensity. Matt sounds like he's grown a little complacent and again, automatic, vocally. Not to mention the obvious and already tired Queen, etc. comparisons.

And the lyrics are...stupid. All this fight the power conspiracy stuff is okay in small doses, but Zach De La Rocha he is not (though clearly inspired by him). How am I supposed to get angry or inspired when what we are fighting against is never remotely specified? Something like Butterflies and Hurricanes and others off of Absolution I can get behind because, even though the lyrics are vague, they are vague enough that they can be applied to a wider life experience and so are more relatable. But it all seems so contrived on this record. And that's not even when the lyrics are just plain bad: "It could be wrong, could be wrong / But it feels so right / It could be wrong, could be wrong / Let our hearts ignite..." Seriously?

Undisclosed desires is a surprising direction for the band sonically, but I sincerely believe that the lyrics and songwriting are nothing you couldn't hear on a Britney Spears album.

Guiding Light is probably the strongest of the first 8 tracks. I like Eurasia too, especially the ridiculous ending because it makes me almost think that they aren't taking themselves too seriously, which makes it easier to enjoy. Uprising has a decent groove that's grown on me. Not much else for me in the first 8.

Of course, Exogenesis, though I think it should have blended together as one track rather than having clear track separations, is amazing. It seemed like early on Matt was planning this style for the entire album and I wish it would have played out that way.

I expect to be in the minority with these opinions, and that's okay. They are of course, just my opinions and are not meant to rile anyone up. Needed to vent a little though! It's a big deal when a band you've obsessed over disappoints you.
feverdown Wrote:
Quote:there's not too much immediate about the album, you have to dig for the hooks because Matt indulged himself on this one.

See, that's where I disagree. They were very indulgent sonically, but as far as the songwriting and the foundations of the songs I hear nothing special.

Melodies and riffing in a style that comes almost automatically out of the Muse back catalogue. Specifically Unnatural Selection's Newborn riff, only with lame vocals on top of it, or Resistance's chorus that reminds me of generic Showbiz-era bombast but with less intensity. Matt sounds like he's grown a little complacent and again, automatic, vocally. Not to mention the obvious and already tired Queen, etc. comparisons.

And the lyrics are...stupid. All this fight the power conspiracy stuff is okay in small doses, but Zach De La Rocha he is not (though clearly inspired by him). How am I supposed to get angry or inspired when what we are fighting against is never remotely specified? Something like Butterflies and Hurricanes and others off of Absolution I can get behind because, even though the lyrics are vague, they are vague enough that they can be applied to a wider life experience and so are more relatable. But it all seems so contrived on this record. And that's not even when the lyrics are just plain bad: "It could be wrong, could be wrong / But it feels so right / It could be wrong, could be wrong / Let our hearts ignite..." Seriously?

Undisclosed desires is a surprising direction for the band sonically, but I sincerely believe that the lyrics and songwriting are nothing you couldn't hear on a Britney Spears album.

Guiding Light is probably the strongest of the first 8 tracks. I like Eurasia too, especially the ridiculous ending because it makes me almost think that they aren't taking themselves too seriously, which makes it easier to enjoy. Uprising has a decent groove that's grown on me. Not much else for me in the first 8.

Of course, Exogenesis, though I think it should have blended together as one track rather than having clear track separations, is amazing. It seemed like early on Matt was planning this style for the entire album and I wish it would have played out that way.

I expect to be in the minority with these opinions, and that's okay. They are of course, just my opinions and are not meant to rile anyone up. Needed to vent a little though! It's a big deal when a band you've obsessed over disappoints you.

I pretty much 100% agree with this... except for the fact that I always found MUSE's stuff incredibly simple for the most part. What made them interesting was the riffing they'd do on the simple song foundations. These songs just don't have that. Uprising is the one that kills me the most as it just feels like it goes nowhere special. Probably great for remixes and club tracks, but as it is... nothing special.

I'm sure there will be an awesome live show, so I'll go, but I'm finding these songs uninspiring to listen to on their own. I mean they clearly try to do some exciting things,..but something about it makes it lack dynamics. And while I always loved the slight queen inflections they started to get into before BH&C, Cydonia felt like it was borderline too much, but the stupid western groove/gallop kept it fun. Now its just "hey look, remember queen!?!?!"

This is not really to knock the band much. They are still pretty awesome, and talented. This album just doesn't click with me, but I'm happy they are making records for themselves and not me!! Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imogen Heap - Ellipse (2009) SoundscapeMN 2 666 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Last Post: rsgold
  Where the Wild Things Are (2009) movie+soundtrack SoundscapeMN 2 634 12-15-2009, 02:49 AM
Last Post: jeryruse
  2009 Albums of the Year Anticipation/Tracking SoundscapeMN 47 5,573 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN
  Road recovery 2009 digenger 2 435 05-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Last Post: digenger
  Muse: Upcoming Album (2009?) SoundscapeMN 15 1,382 04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Acrobat
  Muse - Absolution (Instrumental) SoundscapeMN 10 2,355 03-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Trathena
  Muse...ick fenoglio8 14 2,069 01-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Last Post: inn