Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indy - Birdy's - June 2, 2012
I was among, maybe, 25 people to attend this show. It was a really great time.

Birdy's is not the spiffiest bar that Ours has ever played in, but the door guys and the bartenders were very friendly and the drinks were strong. I liked the lighting on the stage too.

The opening act. They were a local group called These City Limits. I did not enjoy their music, but the lead singer was friendly and their drummer was amazing. Lots of talent there. I couldn't tell if the crowd enjoyed them or not, but we all listened, clapped, and treated them with respect.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for their bassist when Ours was playing. In between songs, he belched very long and loudly, and when I looked at him, he was toasting to the band with a smartass look on his face. I have no idea what that fratboy bullshit was about.

OK Ours! I can't tell you how great it was to see Jimmy backed by a full band again. It's been a long while and I loved it. He sounded perfect. Their new drummer and bassist are awesome, and it seems that April will be taking over Locke's duties, which I love because she is awesome.

Chris is very animated on stage, and he brings that out in the other members and I love that. I don't think I've ever seen Jimmy be so expressive with his body when he's singing (he always is with his voice and facial expressions, but not usually his body).

Jimmy told us pretty much the same thing he told the crowd in Boston: that the band is going to make many more records in the coming years, but probably not with a label.

The tiny Indy crowd, for the most part, was great to watch a show with. They all seemed to love Ours and were grateful to get a show in their city and made that clear.
Here's the setlist:

Willing (I love when Ours opens with this song)
Miseryhead
Drowning
New song
Devil
Murder (yes!)
New song
Black
Ran Away to Tell the World
Running
Bells
Saint
Sometimes
Get Em Out
Fallen Souls
Thanks so much for the recap - so glad you got to go and had a fantastic time!!!! Big Grin
You're welcome SarahBeth. I saw a few people taking video, but I've not come across any yet.
i love when the band plays small, cool venues! i have great memories of the july 1, 2007 ours show at birdy's, hanging out talking to the bartenders and the band until the place closed down. glad you had fun, grateful that you shared the setlist and your memories. Smile
Not to hijack the thread but, what happened with Locke? or Race for that matter?
Not sure about Locke, but I always see Race at the Jammin' Java shows. Based on what JG said at the last show there, I don't think he's out of the picture entirely. Sometimes I see Anthony DeMarco at the Maxwell's shows, too, although I think he's just there to show support.

I don't remember if I read here or somewhere else but it was something about a rotating line-up based on who could tour at the time or who could afford to do so..

Not in a stalkerish way but I was curious what they all do for a living because from the apparent turn outs ( don't mean this in a disrespectful way) but they cant make much. Jimmy said they are sometimes lucky to make it to the next city.
No worries about hijacking, dutchoven. :-)

I asked Jimmy at the meet and greet if the current band will be long term and he said yes, but I didn't press for details.
Willing

Drowning

The drummer and bass player are new to me but they sound awesome!
they sound AMAZING! thank you for sharing these!
Nice! These videos show just how great this band sounds (and what I mean about Jimmy being so animated).

Miseryhead

\

dutchoven138 Wrote:Not to hijack the thread but, what happened with Locke? or Race for that matter?

Jimmy told me that he thinks Race is just taking a break...the way he said it, it didn't sound like some "ending", think he's just busy with something else right now. Wink

On that note the current rhythm section is seriously kicking ass! The band sounds amazing and together!! I was a happy, and proud camper. Smile
ah, didn't know Race wasn't playing with the band anymore (for now at least). I'm sure he'll be at the NY show, at least in attendance, as I've seen Race accompany Jimmy at all his solo shows here. One time a couple years ago, even playing acoustic guitar during Bring You Home.

Does anyone know the names of the new bassist and drummer?
The bassist's name is Chris, but the drummer's name is escaping me. Rhikitty (banned) is right though, that they are fantastic.

At one point during the St. Louis show, someone requested "Kill the Band." It isn't on the regular set list, and Jimmy turned to both of them and asked if they knew the song, and they were both, "hell yeah, it's all good," and then fucking rocked all of out faces off.
jade Wrote:The bassist's name is Chris, but the drummer's name is escaping me. Rhikitty (banned) is right though, that they are fantastic.

At one point during the St. Louis show, someone requested "Kill the Band." It isn't on the regular set list, and Jimmy turned to both of them and asked if they knew the song, and they were both, "hell yeah, it's all good," and then fucking rocked all of out faces off.

The drummer is Mickey.

I'm so jealous y'all got Kill the Band in STL. JS.

The first time I saw them play in Boston, Mickey had to leave the stage to go throw up halfway through the show. Jimmy mocked him. Heh.
Also, I love how RhiKitty (banned) Is becoming the running joke around here. LOL
SarahBeth Wrote:
jade Wrote:The bassist's name is Chris, but the drummer's name is escaping me. Rhikitty (banned) is right though, that they are fantastic.

The drummer is Mickey.

I'm so jealous y'all got Kill the Band in STL. JS.

The first time I saw them play in Boston, Mickey had to leave the stage to go throw up halfway through the show. Jimmy mocked him. Heh.

LOL! Sounds like Jimmy. Mickey seems really sweet. Didn't talk to Chris, he was quiet.
SarahBeth Wrote:Also, I love how RhiKitty (banned) Is becoming the running joke around here. LOL

Heh! I'm such a bad girl.... *Shhh Sarah!* Wink

p.s. I love it too!
SarahBeth Wrote:Also, I love how RhiKitty (banned) Is becoming the running joke around here. LOL

Ha! It's going to take a long time for that not to be funny to me.
Mickey Fox and Chris Goodlof.

Mickey gave me one of his drum sticks and we talked drums for a bit, I love that ride he is using.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nyc residency june 2016 starlit 0 733 06-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Last Post: starlit
  OURS Live Internet Stream June 21st @ 3pm EST jade 42 6,737 06-29-2015, 05:46 PM
Last Post: blasko66
  2012 tour starlit 91 9,518 08-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Last Post: silke
  2012 tour with peter murphy!!! starlit 30 3,472 08-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Last Post: jade
  round 2: more 2012 tour dates! starlit 0 899 07-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Last Post: starlit
  Make up NYC Culturefix show (from May 11, 2012)? Fiasco! 1 997 07-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Last Post: bigstrongcable
  Make up NYC Culturefix show (from May 11, 2012)? Fiasco! 0 390 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Fiasco!
  feb 2012 nyc starlit 2 673 04-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Fiasco!
  The Goat Farm in Atlanta, GA (June 29th, 2011) ASITHOS 8 1,114 08-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Formica Linoleum
  Chicago june 9 KineticOlive 20 1,974 06-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Last Post: apathywithin