Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pledge Music : New Album !
northstar80 Wrote:I was surprised to learn that Jimmy was sick during the recording of the vocals, because the vocals sound perfectly executed to me.

The bootleg of the Cool Beans show from 2002 and a solo show I went to last year in NYC--during both he mentioned being sick. It still astonishes me because you'd never, ever know it.

bxdash Wrote:Jimmy even fan famously remixed DL because he didn't like the mix.

Wait, is this floating around anywhere? Or just the alternate take of Drowning/acoustic EP stuff?
Here you go:

http://665.org/ours/

Both the individual tracks as well as a zipped folder are in there.
northstar80 Wrote:Shifting gears a little bit, I just wanted to say that I think my favorite moment in the album is the note that Jimmy sings at 2:52 during "Boxer."  For some reason, I get chills every time I hear it.  It's like . . .  some kind of cosmic yearning that just pierces through everything.  Is anyone else affected by that moment in the song?

The "Maybe, maybe we'll be alive / Oh, to feel the beat of our hearts" part? Yes. It's haunting.
Xxtayce Wrote:
northstar80 Wrote:Shifting gears a little bit, I just wanted to say that I think my favorite moment in the album is the note that Jimmy sings at 2:52 during "Boxer."  For some reason, I get chills every time I hear it.  It's like . . .  some kind of cosmic yearning that just pierces through everything.  Is anyone else affected by that moment in the song?

The "Maybe, maybe we'll be alive / Oh, to feel the beat of our hearts" part? Yes. It's haunting.

Yes, yes! My favorite moment on the album.
whaor ! That bit gets me too !
That song, Boxer, has all the elements of what I've come to consider quintessential Ours.

It manages to convey a complexity and range of emotions. The vocals on this song are so raw and stirring. I can see this becoming one of those songs that fans still sing at the top of their lungs years from now, just like "Gravity" and "Tower."

"Destined to become a classic!" lol
PledgeMusic Update-

"Hi all,

Our fulfillment date for everyone who pledged for exclusive items is June 29th.

Vinyl takes a longer time to manufacture, so anyone who ordered vinyl will have their order shipped in its entirety as soon as the vinyl is ready.

The full record has been uploaded as an update for download as MP3’s, so be sure to download it. 24-bit files (which PledgeMusic automatically converted to 16-bit FLAC files) were also uploaded by OURS as an update for download, and PledgeMusic is working on a fix so we can re-post an update of the originally intended 24-bit files."

24 bit coming soon!
Hello from PledgeMusic,

OURS posted a new update for New Album!:
"Devil" Stripped Down Mix

Here’s a little gift for you all. Hope you enjoy. Thank you again.

View the full update.
It's stunningly beautiful.
Wow. I love the stripped-down mix of "Devil." I think I favor this version over the album mix.
my girlfriend heard some of "Been Down" and thinks it doesn't sound much if any like Motown or Soul really. And as she says "I know MY Soul, and not just Motown."
SoundscapeMN Wrote:my girlfriend heard some of "Been Down" and thinks it doesn't sound much if any like Motown or Soul really. And as she says "I know MY Soul, and not just Motown."

It doesn't. The comparison is more like...as close as Ours would get to a Soul-type flow. The Motown mentions bothered me a lot, so I mentioned it somewhere on this board before.

b
The Motown allusions are valid because that is, and has been mentioned, as one of Jimmy's big influences. He said it plainly that Motown (not just soul) is one of his biggest sources of inspiration. So to denote "Been Down" as a Motown-inspired track seems quite valid, actually.
eveofabyss Wrote:The Motown allusions are valid because that is, and has been mentioned, as one of Jimmy's big influences. He said it plainly that Motown (not just soul) is one of his biggest sources of inspiration. So to denote "Been Down" as a Motown-inspired track seems quite valid, actually.

...unless you know anything at all about Motown. It was a sound almost exclusive to Detroit in which horns, layered backup vocals, and a unified approach both sound and fashion-wise drove the entire subgenre. It's cool that the band is inspired by it, but that definitely does not mean that the first track they do that sounds unlike most Ours stuff is Motown-inspired.

Ours is not the type of band to try on a genre of music just to make a new song...that's some phoney shit that a lot of cheesier bands try. I personally think that you're making an attempt on their part to simply try something a bit different into something it's not.

Just because someone loves and is inspired by something does not mean they aim to copy it. Give the band a bit more credit than that.
Furthermore, if you actually listened to real Soul music, Motown or otherwise, this conversation would never have happened. I hope I don't come off as a total music prick here, but I feel I know what I'm talking about.

I love when bands leave their comfort zone. A rush to say that a band has tried "A Motown Song", or "A Reggae Song", etc. simply marginalizes the band's attempt to grow and makes it seem like a gimmick. I urge you to stop, in the name of all that which is good and pure Smile
or yo know... you could claim that a song is letting their influences of a genre have their day... which it CLEARLY is, and is what most people have said or alluded to.

not that I think hanging out and listening to shit like sly on vinyl weekly with friends makes me an expert particularly when it was also full of pretentious shit like drinking scotch... but hey they all play in a pretty bad ass soul influenced band so...

Listening to the Devil stripped mix.

I'm pretty happy that these guys and girl are taking advantage of the ability to run shit on their own and offer people more than just the album. Wild West style music distribution.

Then, what about that song is like Motown?
Anyone notice that it looks like Jimmy has a wicked goatee if you look at his facebook pic? lol
Did anyone go to the Bowery Ballroom show and get a CD?

I'm interested to see what the layout/artwork looks like if anyone is willing to post some pics.
I want to know what the actual lyrics are Smile Been driving myself crazy with what the heck the first part of "Get Em Out" is.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Zoe released an album blasko66 0 287 11-16-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: blasko66
  Singles, Album, Tour SoundscapeMN 5 994 10-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN
  New Album Name and Release Date! eveofabyss 124 13,259 12-31-2018, 08:08 PM
Last Post: jlatham
Bug New album - dumb question delight 2 985 01-29-2016, 05:41 PM
Last Post: delight
  Listening Party (for the new album) in early 2016 SoundscapeMN 4 1,155 06-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Last Post: northstar80
  New solo album in the works jade 35 3,400 08-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Last Post: HOURS
  'Devil' Music Video eveofabyss 8 973 08-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Last Post: inn
  album release party - may 14 jmwood42 1 794 05-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN
  Thought about the upcoming album luciddream71 6 959 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Xxtayce
  Who should produce Ours' next album? northstar80 15 1,654 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Last Post: northstar80