Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 BY 6
after talking to jimmy last year about his pledge campaign, i decided to just bite my down my own pride and self-publish the novel that 5 nyc agents were interested in but passed on because it wasn't a good "fit."

the business of creating art is a frustrating one, so ignoring the business and enjoying the art was a gift. but i also have the luxury of earning my living elsewhere.

all that being said, i wanted to share my novel with the board.  it is about 6 people who die while lucidly dreaming.  i like it alot, but most writers have that kind of affinity for their own work.  if any of you are readers and inclined to check it out, i would be honored.  

http://www.amazon.com/6-BY-ebook/dp/B009...tella+bown

p.s. oh yeah, the band in chapter 2 that nathan hangs out with before he goes to prison is ours. zane is jimmy, and april is april.

Starlit,

Are "6 by 6" and "Welcome to Oregon" available for purchase in a format that does not require Kindle? I just realized that I probably won't be able to read them upon download without one! (I know, I need to get with the times, right?!Smile
no worries! i know this sounds odd, but you don't need to own a kindle to access kindle books. amazon has free apps that are compatible with a number of devices. this is how i access the books myself on my pc and my droid.

here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/re...rl?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

p.s. thx for the interest and the support! Smile
congrats on getting it out there. So many talented writers being forced to Self publish because of the game of "fitting"... fucking ridiculous in an era of digital distribution, and limited runs.

I hope you gain some traction! I'll check it out when I get some time.
thank you SO much, bxdash!! i truly appreciate your understanding and support. i would love to know what you think of it.

the game of fitting sucks SO muchly. not much different from being the different looking-acting-thinking-loving person on the block, schoolyard, office. and as you note, in this era, we should have progressed to more evolved business models. but agents and publishers seem to want to discover the next big sure thing, whatever that may be. i think vampires have to be involved. ; )
I think a lot of that has to do with the deconstruction of the familiar model. Much like the music industry. I worked in press for a while. Somehow, at 19, found myself as an "editor" for a nationally distributed magazine, and more recently I was a writer for a national music software magazine. I am also, in general, drawn to authors, and have a few friends that are. So I keep up with the publishing fields, peripherally. The internet and access to information has changed so much, and not many are trying to adapt enough to support growth. They want to rely on the old model and find stability in that, and that means churning out popcorn, and riding trends. It ends up never really about the art, it's the machine. You'd think they'd have learned from the music scene. Instead they're just trying to meld into one giant "blob medium". Assimilating different artforms in the guise of "synergy". Obviously you know all this.

I'm not knocking pop art. There's really a talent in breaking the barriers people have up...but it's feeding in on itself. Here's to hoping to lightning storms come and change things up every once in a while.

Also... After 15 years of watching the industry I thought would support me, burn all around me, I've been reconnecting with why I love it. I have been finding that just doing things on your own allows you to let go of the game of finding an audience on the terms other people define, and connect deeper with the group you do. Music and publishing are different bags here though, because I can play out, and people are forced to listen, but out here in SF, there are literary events at bars and lounges where authors read passages from their material, and there's always Litquake. I've met some fine people at these things and see scenes of authors support each other and make bigger scenes for themselves.

If we all find ways to support each other, the machine wont ever have us, and we wont need it.
Also @northstar80, if you have a computer, there is a kindle app for it. I have it on my macbook and read, as well as my phone. Any tablet will be able to offer you the op to read it
you really inspire me, bxdash. here's what i did with some of that good juju- i made a few SUPER simple book trailers. it was fun, made me feel like a kid playing. Smile

starlit Wrote:no worries! i know this sounds odd, but you don't need to own a kindle to access kindle books. amazon has free apps that are compatible with a number of devices. this is how i access the books myself on my pc and my droid.

here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/re...rl?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

p.s. thx for the interest and the support! Smile

Great news! I will definitely check them out this week. Kudos for creating your own destiny by taking advantage of technology to self-publish!
rock n roll! I've got the book here on my kindle shelf, but there's been no time to read Sad

I also have my speech therapist's book to read about growing up in Jordan. She also self published after she went through a bunch of publisher "fun".

We gotta all keep pushing, and pushing each other to create. The whole thing for me is to support art, and the appreciation of creating it!
you guys are both SO fabulous! i truly appreciate your support!!
caught this today

http://www.theonion.com/articles/if-you-.../?ref=auto
OMG that is a fucking riot! i lovelovelove joyce carol oates, brilliant, and who knew what a raunchy, punchy sense of humor! thx for starting my day off with a giggle! you are TOO cool!! i gotta go tweet this article now, hehe!
Just downloaded your two books last night and have already blazed my way through "Welcome to Oregon." You've got a gift, my friend! (Oh, and I, too, have always said that RV drivers should be forced to obtain a CDL! lol)
northstar80 Wrote:Just downloaded your two books last night and have already blazed my way through "Welcome to Oregon."  You've got a gift, my friend!  (Oh, and I, too, have always said that RV drivers should be forced to obtain a CDL! lol)

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!! you are too kind! : )