Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exclusive Live Internet Performance of ‘Distorted Lullabies’ 12.14.14
Don’t miss this rare opportunity to have Jimmy Gnecco perform ‘Distorted Lullabies’ in its entirety for you live and in the privacy and comfort of your own home. This one time internet performance has never been done by Jimmy, and it will not happen again.http://ours.cleeng.com/exclusive-live-in...8272580_US
surprised this isn't free for Black Card holders.
It's a fundraiser for their next album. Giving it away for free to hundreds of people (the people most likely to have and pay the $100) would be defeating the purpose.
Fundraiser or not, I think the price is a bit steep, especially 10 days before Christmas.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to do this, I can't justify it right before Christmas and the wedding will be 3 and a half months away - especially since it'd be likely just me (my fiance will probably be working) and there's no one else local to me to come over to share the cost/watch with me. I'd do it otherwise. Its just sucky timing on my part.
Would love to do it but that price. . . I'd pay that much to see Jimmy or Ours live in person (again) but online only? More than likely I can't swing it.
I hear you. I'm in the same spot, in that I also have no friends who like Ours enough to pitch in for an online performance. If I do this, it'll have to be all me.

SarahBeth, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
I have no friends who like Ours either so it would be just me as well. I wish they'd do some other exclusives. Even at a higher price than normal, I'd pay for a real CD pressing of Sour or other exclusives like that. The hand-written lyrics were great. I bought Murder with the pledge and Devil when it was offered in the store.
blasko66, we need higher quality friends. ;-)
jade Wrote:I hear you. I'm in the same spot, in that I also have no friends who like Ours enough to pitch in for an online performance. If I do this, it'll have to be all me.

SarahBeth, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Thanks so much! Smile

I think that's a lot of the problem -- if i had local friends who liked Ours and all wanted to come over/pitch in for the show, I'd totally do it. But I don't and that's such a busy time of year anyway for people.

I do like how he's giving us over a month to save up for it. That helps. I also know that not everyone is even in a position to save.

I'm sure, though, that there will be many hundreds of fans who can afford this. I think it's a good idea. I hope it helps the band make the next album.
I'm in the same boat re: no local friends who like Ours (and no $). I'll bet that some folks in the big cities, though, will be enjoying Distorted Lullabies parties this year instead of typical xmas parties!
jade Wrote:blasko66, we need higher quality friends. ;-)

Tell me about it, lol.
Does Jimmy really have enough hardcore fans to warrant such a price?

I know people talk about fundraising and how much Jimmy has given to his fans in the past and that he deserves the money but...is it really a wise decision financially? Seems like putting a lower price on it would allow for more people to participate.

I might underrate his fanbase but will hundreds of people really pay $100 for this?
Sippe Wrote:Does Jimmy really have enough hardcore fans to warrant such a price?

I know people talk about fundraising and how much Jimmy has given to his fans in the past and that he deserves the money but...is it really a wise decision financially? Seems like putting a lower price on it would allow for more people to participate.

I might underrate his fanbase but will hundreds of people really pay $100 for this?

That is a question I asked myself too.
I'd pay $25 for a high quality audio download of a show like this directly from Ours. (Heck, I wish more bands offered pay-for downloads of their shows.) I'd guess that more people would pay with a cheaper price, like everything else. I don't know how much he's expecting to gross for the $100 concert. It would be interesting to know how many sign up.
I don't have a facebook page but I looked at the Ours fb site and a lot of people look pretty mad about the price. I don't know the financial logistics of setting something like that up through whatever server he'll be using so I don't know where the price comes from - how much (if any) is absorbed by the cost, etc.
I thought the hand-written lyrics were a nice option for fundraising - when they offered the ten copies of Devil in the online store. I wish there were more options if this is for funding the new album.
Don't get me wrong, this show appeals to me A LOT. But I find myself questioning the wisdom of me paying that much for what it is. It's not the same as going to a show and having that personal experience.

I have heard that some people are angry about this Distorted Lullabies Internet event because of the price. It's not our intention to offend. Only to offer unique events like this. It's events like this that allow us to continue to bring you music. We are in a business that has gone extinct, and I have donated most of my time in my life doing charity work, and playing concerts for very low ticket prices. I did a free internet performance for all black card holders a couple of months ago. We appreciate your support, but some of you might not understand that these events cost us money to put on as well. We would also never expect any of you to donate your life's work to us for free. When there is something that I love and I value, I spend my money on it. I don't require fancy things in life, but I appreciate certain things and have no problem spending money on them. I believe that this is part of a balance in life. If we just take everything that we want, and expect it to be free, it will go away. I have much respect for you all, and I like to believe that you are bright individuals. Call some friends, invite them over, have a party, and the show will cost you each very little. This is mainly an opportunity for those who live thousands of miles away, who can't afford a plane ticket, to have me in their homes for a special show. Any of you who are complaining and say that we have just lost fans, thank you for your support up to this point. Nobody is forcing you to buy it.
I have always made the music that I want to make, exactly how I want to make it. Even in the face of turning down more money than you could imagine. I'm not about to start changing now. This isn't Walmart. I love people very much, but I create music in hopes to satisfy myself first and foremost. The idea that any of you even enjoyed Distorted Lullabies in the first place is a wonder to me. I put out a message in a bottle and I reached someone. Even if it was just one of you. Thank you for answering.
-Jimmy
I don't understand why everyone, including Jimmy, seems to think that it's either 100 bucks...or for free. There is a LOT of middle ground here.

But obviously he can charge whatever he wants for his services.
Lots of people no longer pay for TV shows, movies and songs and money must be made up somewhere. Everyone can understand that. As someone who is trying to make it in publishing (which is a business model suffering drastically in its own unique and disturbing way), and as someone who was brought up not to steal what I should be paying for, I understand the frustration Jimmy must have about the backlash. (The only times I download songs is when they are not for purchase such as concerts I've been to - I did pay for the show and odds are I bought a t-shirt or program. It's more of a sentimental thing. I'd happily buy a USB of a show from the band but most do not offer this. Or in the case of Sour, I can't buy it because it simply isn't out there any longer and hasn't been for years. Additionally, Jimmy doesn't appear to mind those songs being downloaded and hasn't expressed interest in a new pressing. If I could buy a copy from him, I would.)
The rising cost of being a "fan" of anything is in large part due to the accessibility of "free" media. Autographs at movie and TV conventions are higher than ever. Bands are offering VIP packages instead of hanging out afterwards (yes, I paid $25 to meet Jimmy again the last time he came to my area). You can no longer rent a DVD in order to see the special content - your only option is buying it. Some CDs have copy-righting and I can't even put them on iTunes when I've already bought it which means that if I want to hear it on my iPod that I have to buy it again.
But these rising costs are hitting the people who, most likely, are already buying the products. I have a suspicion that those downloading everything for free are not the ones who would PAY for an autograph, a streaming concert (and possibly not even a real one) or a CD or DVD anyway - one could argue that charging more and more for these things is basically hitting the same paying crowd twice.
The black card was brilliant. I wish I had gotten one. It was one of those times when I was going to get it with the next paycheck and by then it was gone. If they do it again, I'll buy it.
All of this being said, I do not know if I will go in for the streaming show or not. I want to but, as has been said, not everything is $100 or free and it isn't a great time of the year for an extra expense. And there's no one to split the cost with. It would be me at home with headphones and my computer. So we'll see.
I'm sorry, I'm a big fan of Jimmy but 100 bucks is far too much.  As a songwriter and musician I understand the achievement of playing an album live in its entirety but Jimmy's acoustic sets can be really quite boring.  He's not Jeff Buckley and streaming services for something like this is really unreliable/unstable.  Jimmy's acoustic guitar playing when he turns his album songs into just him and a guitar are not interpreted all that well.  50 Dollars maybe but not this, poor guy is just reaching and doesn't know how to promote his own music anymore.  I'll bet you maybe a dozen people if he's really, REALLY lucky.  Just because he's turned down alot of money doesn't mean he charged his REAL fans MORE money.  Fuck-Off with that, he's got it all wrong and should be ashamed for that sentence alone.  Really he needs someone that's educated to help promote his music the right way but he's too loyal, yes there is a thing as being too loyal.  You're loyal until it fucks you over. This all comes from a person that owns #1 of 10 Handwritten Lyric Sheets for "Devil".
It's pretty dumb to charge $100 but for all those complaining there are those (especially overseas) on FB saying they'll pay it.
Even if only 20 people pay, it's $2,000 to sit in his living room and sing some songs, no overhead, no tour costs, no crew to pay.
I don't think it's worth the cost personally because it would just be boring to have him sit in front of a webcam with no enhanced sound, reverb etc and sing the album front to back.

I also saw he was selling the 'Mercy' original art, I hate to see the guy struggling financially but it's also sad to see him resort to these measures for income.
If people are saying that then more power to Jimmy, bend them over if you don't have morals.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Distorted Lullabies anniversary merch! blasko66 2 414 04-03-2021, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Reid1
  3/1/15 Black Card Exclusive YouTube Stream Topic Discussion SoundscapeMN 68 6,155 03-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Last Post: eveofabyss
  new live acoustic track...used to be Parasites powernoize 2 684 05-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Nine
  Jimmy & Static Radio Interview/Performance Sun Oct 11, 2009 Fiasco! 21 3,245 10-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Last Post: SarahBeth
  Live Again Music Video!! paranoir 47 7,257 12-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Last Post: Pirate Girl
  Jimmy and Lukas Rossi, interivew & performance Sanzen 8 1,085 11-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sanzen
  First Time You Saw OURS Live? Nine 44 5,733 10-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Last Post: starlit
  Petition for live DVD Black 6 941 05-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Black
  Willing, Worst Things, and Murder: Live @ MP3.com studio Sanzen 19 2,426 04-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sanzen
  help with live places lilienvanluxe 5 672 03-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Fiasco!