Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August 6, 2016 @ Smith's Olde Bar in Atlanta
Okay, I'm still trying to process the awesomeness. This is only the second time I've gotten to see Jimmy/Ours play - since they basically never come South - so I'm still a dorktastic fangirl about it.

The first couple of songs (6 or so?) was with Jimmy/Static/Chris playing in the background and Hannah Gernand (one of the "new talents" Jimmy and Static discovered during their mentoring time - she's freaking fifteen and sings amazingly!), sang some of her own songs interspersed with some cover songs. I didn't manage to record the best one - of course - but it was the last one, where they did the best cover of "House of the Rising Sun" that I've ever seen/heard.

I ended up with 14 total videos. Some are clipped early but I tried recording at least the new songs in their entirety for you guys - and the quality was a lot better than I was expecting.

It felt kinda like an informal jam session with Jimmy and some of his friends - James Hall showed up and the full live version of Murder was damn amazing. There's no way my videos do that one any justice at all. Sitting right next to the stage and hearing the horn and fiddle/violin/thing (sorry, I'm not a musician) and just feeling it... wow. I was blown away.

[Image: ja8wML6ejoYcxIqbEv7iReCW2kxYY5Jcbv_4VgLv...64-h603-no]

[Image: iArp0I-1iapu5x-ijc_qquKMV9ZCwRUqkVOmYoL-...85-h599-no]

[Image: lozHdQVA4XupcaQw3NlP1mwdsPe0lXx2nyIg9DvD...39-h759-no]

[Image: bNlInYYWx-r-RMmgUAOlyMdes6myAuU6SsA5guWH...39-h759-no]

[Image: I9JUv46oqGpINkFhs1WRfZ-WdiGq21z_vKaB7KOb...94-h750-no]

Towards the end, he started asking the crowd what they wanted to hear. The only other time I saw him play was for the BtB1 tour, so most of the songs then were the new stuff, with the exception of "Sometimes" and "Drowning". This time, I got to hear: "Here is the Light", "Sometimes", "Red-Colored Stars", "Ran Away to Tell the World", "Murder", "Meet Me in the Tower" (seriously!), and they ended the night with "The Heart". Basically everything I could've ever asked for.

I've uploaded all the videos I took to YouTube and made a playlist of them in order, here -
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFQV0r_MdJReTQqEuW2HLjwdOmw3Gl07T
It looks like the board doesn't allow us to embed videos anymore? (Side note, sorry for the videos that are randomly sideways. I didn't realize that videos taken in portrait mode do that. Most of them get turned around halfway through.)

Oh, and I got to take a picture with Jimmy (two for two now!) at the end.

[Image: JKS2blHNtMX3WxWj7_UFSKwPYHmm2ZV1ZL_rdFa4...17-h785-no]

At any rate, Jimmy said at one point that they've already recorded 40 songs, and should have enough recorded songs for three albums by Christmas. I know he said he was working on a bunch of stuff after BtB1 came out when I saw him then and we haven't seen a lot, but I think this time he means it.

He seems to be in a much better place than he was the last time I saw him - carrying around a lot less anger - and he said he played the new songs for his "daughter's mother" (apparently she gets mad if he calls her "baby mama") and she said something to the effect of, "If they thought Distorted Lullabies was deep, that's nothing compared to this."

If anyone here wants to convert the videos into MP3 format and try cleaning them up some and sharing with the members here, I'm fully okay with that. Just make sure I can have a copy too. :punk:
WOW! thanks SO much for this amazing update!! sounds like you had a fabulous time, and that we are going to have alot of great new music to enjoy soon!!

love your pics, can't wait to hear the videos!!! thanks again!!!!
Oh!! I forgot to mention it, but I did ask the merch guy, (I think it was Hannah's dad, tbh, but he seemed to be acting as tour manager for this), about the Ours black cards.

Jimmy had gone backstage immediately after the show for some black card members and as he was explaining it to the group of us hoping Jimmy would come back out, I jumped in with, "omg, can you guys pleeeeease sell them again I've been trying to buy one for years since I missed the last one and I think it expires soon anyway and oh wow I'd really love to buy one!!!"

I know they're people-pleasers at shows for good appearances, but he said he'd definitely bring it up, so maybe it'll happen? Iunno, I gave it my best fangirling shot.
wow! thanks so much for sharing these. much appreciated, you rock!
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the board! So happy you had a great time! Smile
Wow, holy hell! I'm so glad you had an amazing time!! Usually in ATL where there is a Jimmy, there is generally a James.

Loved that you got to hear new + old music + talk to Jimmy + advocate for more black card stuff.
Forgot to thank you for this! Great videos as well. But considering it's impossible to find him on youtube by the name Ours anymore I suggest tagging everything with "Jimmy Gnecco". Much easier to find that way Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  August 2016 Tour SarahBeth 17 2,383 08-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Last Post: starlit
  nyc residency june 2016 starlit 0 733 06-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Last Post: starlit
  August 16th in Chicago, IL at JBTV HOURS 5 1,025 02-22-2014, 05:28 AM
Last Post: sabje
  Atlanta show 5/29/13 chilibun 3 784 06-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Last Post: chilibun
  The Goat Farm in Atlanta, GA (June 29th, 2011) ASITHOS 8 1,114 08-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Formica Linoleum
  06.01.10 Atlanta, GA Formica Linoleum 9 1,288 06-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarahBeth
  Smith's Olde Bar, Atlanta, 12.14.2009 Acrobat 36 5,437 12-21-2009, 01:16 PM
  8/21/09 Atlanta, GA Formica Linoleum 20 3,459 08-23-2009, 06:48 AM
  Atlanta - 12.20.08 - The Masquerade SarahBeth 115 15,637 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
  Vinyl in Atlanta 7-24-08 distorted lullaby 46 7,574 07-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Formica Linoleum