Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine Tree Stuff
from Porcupinetree.com

01-06-2007
Roadrunner Records and Atlantic USA have officially announced the release of the new Porcupine Tree album "Fear of a Blank Planet" in mid April. The album features six (mostly lengthy) tracks, and is the band’s most ambitious and cohesive work to date. Much of it was debuted last year on tour to a rapturous response from fans.

The lyrical content of the song-cycle on the album is a 21st century cocktail of MTV, sex, prescription drugs, video games, the internet, terminal boredom, and subsequent escape.

More news and previews of the album to follow on this site.

for atleast Darren and myself..anyone else whose a fan, or might be interested in checking the band out. Dunno if the title suggests Steven Willson is a Public Enemy fan. This new record also features guest spots from Robert Fripp of King Crimson and Alex Lifeson of Rush. Very excited for this!
AWESOME! I can't wait! From how the new songs sounded live, this record will be amazing.
the new stuff was awesome. can't wait.
April 24th in the US :grin:

man..by the end of the Spring..I'm gonna have like 8 or 10 new cds in rotation. 2007 for-the-win! :clap:
now this is some great news. hopefully road runner doesnt taint PP's sound like it has with other bands. I can't see steven wilson bending his tunes around a label anyways so im not really worried. it will rock with out a doubt.
ifoundhate Wrote:now this is some great news. hopefully road runner doesnt taint PP's sound like it has with other bands. I can't see steven wilson bending his tunes around a label anyways so im not really worried. it will rock with out a doubt.

Besides... The band is only on RR in the UK. The band is signed to Atlantic in the States.
one of the songs..the song they did that I guess at times clocked around 20mins was being called "The Beast" in one quote I read over on the PTF. But one thing I read is the band played a lot of new material at those shows last fall, and chances are some of the songs they did won't make the final record. So that means likely they'll end up on an extended release or some other PT album down the line.

also LIGHTBULB SUN re-release is coming out in 2007..with 5.1 I think
Yeah, I've been waiting patiently for the LS re-release... I've seen an actual copy for $32... I didn't have the money on me, though. Sad
I'm almost hoping that my band can get our new demo out before Fear...There's some stuff that they played on the last tour that sounded like US and not the other way around! haha
From http://www.daveling.co.uk/diary.htm writer for Classic Rock and Metal Hammer magazines.

Quote:Monday 30th January
Yesterday morning I trundled along to Abbey Road Stadios for a preview of Porcupine Tree's forthcoming album, 'Fear Of A Blank Planet' in glorious 5.1 surround sound. Before the playback began, band leader Steven Wilson informed the gathered throng that the album is one "continuous piece of music" that lasts for around 53 minutes, explaining that most CDs these days are way too long to hold the listener's attention. "It's a very intense album", he warned, adding that it includes no potential singles - something that hardly seemed to bother representatives from the quartet's new label Roadrunner Records. And why should it? The album is simply stunning from start to finish; elaborately conceived, brilliantly orchestrated and executed with consummate sophistication. The track that will surely generate most attention is 'Anesthetize', which at 17 mins and 42 seconds long features a guitar solo from Rush's Alex Lifeson. Robert Fripp of King Crimson also offers guest soundscape guitar effects to the penultimate song 'Way Out Of Here'. But, believe me, the whole album is a stroke of genius.
I also did a quick interview with Mr Wilson, who was helpful, friendly and polite - a pleasure to deal with. I've spent spent quite a while chewing the cud with him since Classic Rock's inception and three things always strike me about Steven; his sheer enthusiasm for music, the diversity of his influences (try talking to him about the Carpenters or Abba one day) and, of course, an unwavering creative focus.

From www.porcupinetree.com

1. Fear of a Blank Planet (7.28)
2. My Ashes (5.07)
3. Anesthetize (17.42)
4. Sentimental (5.26)
5. Way Out of Here (7.37)
6. Sleep Together (7.28)

man..this gets me even more excited :grin:
I don't know if the Blackfield tour is heading up that way, but I scored tickets one of the Boston shows. Seats are limited to 100 (!) per show. Awesomeness.
Artwork:

[Image: porcupinetreeart1.jpg]
Ehh.
well..I just heard 2 of the tracks via the RoadRunner Records Street Team..sorta..advice: don't try and sign-up if you're not in the UK and expect an immediate response.

Anyway..the 1st/title track and the last song "Let's Sleep Together" (it was labeled this way)

and I'm digging them..Darren, Sinistas or anyone else..pm me if you wanna hear em (if you haven't already).
I've got 'em. Pretty decent. Not anything mindblowing. They're saving the best, that being "Anesthetize." I'll try and track down a link for a boot of it.
If all goes well, I'll be one of those "people with radio connections who has the record for you before it's out".

:thumbup:
yeah..from what I've read..a number of shows from last fall were taped (even tho band as an exception, didn't want them to be)..I know the day the record comes out the folks over at PT-WEEDS will be trading..but for now I dunno. I should check dimeadozen and tradersden soon.
check the myspace..an album sampler is up now:

http://myspace.com/porcupinetree
I have never heard of this band before, but I just went to the myspace and listened to their stuff and it sounds awesome. Thanks for turning me on to it...I know a few people who I'd bet would like it too
LottiDi Wrote:I have never heard of this band before, but I just went to the myspace and listened to their stuff and it sounds awesome. Thanks for turning me on to it...I know a few people who I'd bet would like it too

Not a problem... Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone listened to the new Chris Cornell stuff? bxdash 25 4,099 04-25-2009, 03:47 AM
Last Post: Trathena