Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 Albums
Well 1st off thanks Hayley (Fiasco!..btw..what inspired the s/n change?)

Maybe a good topic is..what albums have come out this year that you like the most?, and what albums besides the new Ours album, are you looking forward to?

For me
Pure Reason Revolution - THE DARK THIRD is the best thing to come out this year. It's not out in the US yet..should be with a different track listing (not as good actually) in a couple of weeks. But the UK version I have flows sohhh perfectly. http://www.myspace.com/purereasonrevolution

Besides the new Ours, the album I am looking fwd to the most is the new Pain of Salvation. SCARSICK is the title. Anyway, they are an amazing band, but not many people outside of the ProgRock and Dream Theater fanbases know them. But like Jimmy, Daniel Gildenlow is one of the most unique singers around. I would suggest sampling them if for no other reason. Think M-i-k-e Patton and Geoff Tate.

There are a lot of other releases that have been good, and others I'm looking fwd to, but these two right now standout for me.

Kyle
I've always been humored with Gavin (of Dredg for those who don't know) shouting "FIASCO!" at the end of the chorus in Ode To The Sun. At one point I proclaimed that I wanted to end things with "Fiasco!" (which I had as an away message on AOL). I hated my old ezboard screen name and wanted to change it for the new boards. As you know, on other message boards I just register blatant Ours references whether by going by "Distorted Lullabies" (like my gmail address and myspace) or by using the name "Ours" (such as on the traversing.net boards and the Dresden Dolls message board). This being an Ours board... well, I didnt want to do that so being uncreative... and deciding a few days before I registered that I wanted to incorporate "Fiasco!" as an alias, that's what I registered with here. And so my avatar is a pengiun that was on a dredg shirt isaw on ebay. I love penguins too that's a long story thought :-P

Looking forward to the new Muse cd - I heard the new single which leaked... pretty disappointed with that but i have hope for the entire cd.

I enjoyed the Dresden Dolls' new cd released last month - Yes, Virginia.
I never realized that your avatar is a penguin, but now I see it. Kind of looks like the Ours logo "O" a little bit.Confusedmile2:
northstar80 Wrote:I never realized that your avatar is a penguin, but now I see it. Kind of looks like the Ours logo "O" a little bit.Confusedmile2:

It's hard to see when it's small.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21]

I attached the image, you have to click the thumbnail to enlarge it, instead i just copied to source so you dont have to click the attachment.
pfft...I'm not telling you guys...I'm keeping them all to myself :twisted:
This will probably change drastically by the end of the year, and I already have Ours penciled in at #1, but here goes:

01. Deadboy & the Elephantmen - We Are Night Sky
02. The M's - Future Women
03. The Minus 5 - The Gun Album
04. Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
05. Eagles of Death Metal - Death By Sexy
06. Tool - 10,000 Days
07. Pearl Jam - Self-titled
08. The Sword - Age of Winters
09. Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan - Ballad of the Broken Seas
10. Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies
11. Man Man - Six Demon Bag
12. Belle & Sebastian - The Life Persuit
13. Pearls & Brass - Indian Tower
14. His Name is Alive - Detrola
15. The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth
Fiasco! Wrote:Looking forward to the new Muse cd  - I heard the new single which leaked... pretty disappointed with that but i have hope for the entire cd.

I enjoyed the Dresden Dolls' new cd released last month - Yes, Virginia.

just heard the new Muse song Confusedhock::confused: but maybe it'll be a grower..hopefully the rest of the album is different as well like you say Confusedmile2:

Kyle
In addition to Ours, I'm looking forward to new music from Jon Crosby (VAST) and Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree/Blackfield/No-Man/producer of Opeth/god knows what else...)
Deadboy and the Elephantmen's We Are Night Sky is incredible.

The new, self-titled Pearl Jam is pretty good.

I was really disappointed with the new Tool album. It sounds like just another Tool album, in a "songs that didn't make it onto Lateralus" kind of way. Although if you are a Tool fan and haven't heard the new album, check out The Pot. It's the one song on 10,000 Days that stands out for me.

I haven't heard the new Belle and Sebastien or Minus 5, but I really want to.

I didn't even know a new Muse album was in the works. That's exciting.

--Danny
Danny Wrote:I didn't even know a new Muse album was in the works.  That's exciting.

I've heard some negative things about the new tool cd... haven't heard it for myself yet though.

Muse's new cd titled "Black Holes and Relevations" is gonna be released July 3rd (my birthday! :-D) but its a Monday... dunno when the US release date is, I cant imagine its going to be much later than July though.
I forgot to mention that I am looking forward to the new Frank Black record Fast Man Raider Man, and the new Snow Patrol.
Danny Wrote:I forgot to mention that I am looking forward to the new Frank Black record Fast Man Raider Man, and the new Snow Patrol.

Oh Frank Black has a new CD coming out? Didn't know that. Do you know what's up with the Pixies? I know they had a new song, Bam Thwok, but did they ever (or are they ever) coming out w/ a new cd?
Fiasco! Wrote:Looking forward to the new Muse cd  - I heard the new single which leaked... pretty disappointed with that but i have hope for the entire cd.

It's very, um, different. I can't wait to here the rest of the songs on the new album though. The other new songs that they performed last year sounded awesome. :punk:

You could hear the new song here: http://www.myspace.com/newmusestuff
Fiasco! Wrote:Oh Frank Black has a new CD coming out? Didn't know that. Do you know what's up with the Pixies? I know they had a new song, Bam Thwok, but did they ever (or are they ever) coming out w/ a new cd?

Yes, the new Frank Black comes out in July I believe. I hope it is a bit louder than Honeycomb.

The Pixies announced last summer that they were going into the studio to record a new album, but I'm not sure how much progress has been made with that.
Yes the new Muse song is something else. The remix with Britney Spears is actually better than the original. The rest of the album isn't supposed to be like that song, hopefully.
I'm looking forward to seeing them in July here in the states.

Also awaiting the new Cure album sometime this fall/winter.

Head Automatica's new record Popaganda is fun and well...poppy.

I can't think of anything else....
I just found a leak..sorta of the new Live album SONGS FROM BLACK MOUNTAIN isn't too bad. Not that I'm a huge fan, but this band to me is consistent in that they always have some cool melodies in many of their songs.

Not album of the year, but still worth checking out if you are a fan.

Kyle
by any chance, you don't happen to know how this sort of LIVE leak you found might accidentally end up on my computer do you? Wink Wink
Hayley..I'll find you on AIM soon :wink2:

Kyle
I think I am going to stop being disappointed by Live albums. I have been increasingly let down by everything after The Distance to Here.

Finally heard the new Muse song, and I have to join the ranks of those who are open-mouthed in surprise. I don't like it at all.

Also, I downloaded the new Frank Black album, and I was disappointed with it as well. It's not bad, but it is two disks of songs with basically the same tempo. It starts to drag about half way through the first disk.

bah.

WOLFMOTHER

I have had material off this for awhile..but they are playing here tomorrow nite, so it's motivated me to play it more. These guys are really smokin' good..altho it's pretty obvious they are derived from some of the best Classic Rock bands, they still do have a lot to offer..just in hooks and melodies. That song MIND'S EYE..the key solo and when they crescendo gives me goosebumps..thinking I'm hearing Rush or Deep Purple.

I should post my others I suppose, which I never did:
Pure Reason Revolution - THE DARK THIRD
Mute Math - Mute Math
Oceansize - EVERYONE INTO POSITION (this one may be 2005 as well, 2006 in the US)
OSI - FREE
Umphreys McGee - SAFETY IN NUMBERS
Men, Women And Children - MEN, WOMEN, AND CHILDREN
Matisyahu - YOUTH
Sans Seraph - AFTER THE RAIN

And then on the horizon, trying to avoid forgetting things, my to watch for list of albums includes:

Muse
The Mars Volta
KADDISFLY (sleeper..I just heard a demo tonite and it was phenomenal..a lot of GROWTH and MATURITY from last years "Buy Our Intention" which is still a good album itself)
TempleWithin (obscure Prog Metal project)
Demians - like Templewithin, unknown Prog/New Age/Metal project, but I know the guy and have heard demps' for a couple of years.
Blackfield - the sophmore effort..this could be even better. Jordan Rudess guests
Prizefighter Inferno - singer from Coheed And Cambria's sideproject, Acoustic and more pop than rock from the myspace samples
Zero Hour
Of The Hour - they have a more jazz-fusiony EP out I guess

Then in the last week I have been exposed to some new bands who may have albums out this year, or recently:

House Of Fools
Exist
Powell-Morgan
The Casual Lean
Waiger
Oh My God

Kyle

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So, what are your top 10 albums of the year? drkdglr13 24 3,592 12-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Last Post: SarahBeth
  2009 Albums of the Year Anticipation/Tracking SoundscapeMN 47 5,573 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN
  2008 ALBUMS OF THE YEAR: POST YOUR RANKINGS HERE SoundscapeMN 35 5,429 01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Trathena
  2007 Albums of the year..Reviews SoundscapeMN 15 2,022 01-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN
  2007 Albums SoundscapeMN 104 13,734 10-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Stars Die