Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(a review of sorts) LC Pavilion Columbus, OH 2/2/08
ok, sorry it took me so long to get on here and write this, i ended up getting back from the show about 7am this morning, still a bit  hungover. So, i needed some sleep.

Here is the set list
(in as good of order as i can recall) :wink2:
Murder
Black
Willing
The Worst Things Beautiful
Live Again
* (with the bridge "don't hurt yourself..." before the climactic build up and scream)
Fallen Souls

My friend Joe and I drove about 4 hours to Columbus and there was already a big line forming when we arrived @ about 5:30pm. Since we were wary of being stomped by Manson fans trying to get to the front and didn't want to freeze our asses off we went to a mexican food joint, ate and had a couple of beers. (laughing at everyone who was starving and cold because they'd been in line all day)
We headed into the line about 6:30 and waited for about an hour outside. Had to defend OURS to some people in front of me, they liked the band, just not Mr. Gnecco's singing style. We let bygons be bygons and agreed to disagree.
So we finally get into the venue and after getting felt up by security, made our way to the floor....which was alot easier than expected.....
We ended up about 6 or 7 people back from the rail. OURS comes on and the crowd applauds and cheers.
BTW i purposely wore my hot pink MUSE shirt just so i would stand out in a sea of black and gray. (and i'm a dude in case you didn't know)
So it was entertaining to see the expressions on peoples faces when they looked at me.

We hear the rumbling intro of Static's guitar to Murder
and begin clapping the beat....one or two other people join us.
The band finishes the song and people start the booing and flipping off thing like at every show so far....Joe and I clap extra loud and yell "yeah Jimmy!" "woo!" and the like. And it's like that after every song, the crowd growing more disrepectful and louder. And Joe and I trying to compensate. Jimmy says "We'd like to thank Manson for having us on this tour, we're OURS and we're here to bring love and happiness into your hearts" begins Mercy
He later encouraged the crowd to "express themselves" by flipping them off he said that "they understood that language"
The reason I think he does this is if you're accepting of people doing that to you and don't get offended by it people don't know how to take it and are less likely to do it. If you're not getting angry, they're not being affective. :detective:
Anyway during Willing Joe and I were clapping as high as we could and I was throwing up the double "love" symbol in sign language.
Jimmy saw us, recogized us and got a BIG smile on his face. We also managed to get Static and Lockes attention... (which should have been easy considering we were the only ones supporting them with any kind of gusto)
But we were happy because we wanted them to know at least someone was there for them.
The sound was pretty good, not as loud as Manson but it was mixed fairly well. Everyone's playing was high energy and Jimmy's voice sounded just fine to me. It's neat to see the guys on a big stage, they can actually move around now! Smile
Also someone next to me got my attention and said "Hey! you know this band, who are they?" and I replied matter-of-factly "OURS!" and went back to singing and dancing/rocking out :punk: i might have been the happiest person there at the moment. :wink2:

After OURS set Joe and I went and got some beer and milled around for awhile hoping to bump into one of the guys at some point, just to say hello and let them know we were there giving them support.
We got about 2 songs into Mansons set (who btw put on a good show) and saw Pit walking around, stopped him and said hello, ended up getting to chat with him for about 20 mintues. Joe, Pit and I also had a (double) shot together, which was fun.
Then about 10-15 mintues later we spotted Locke heading upstairs and we said hello to him. Also Ms. April Bauer was up there so i got to say hi and briefly catch up with her too. None of us could really get a good view from the balcony (too many tall people) so we headed back down to the bottom of the stairs....
We could actually see the show pretty well from the otherside of the building and had room to move if we wanted to so that was great. We ended up there and by the bar for the rest of the evening.
A couple of minutes after we headed down, Locke came back down and stood with Joe and I and watched the show. We all had some shots together and ended up hanging with him until the show ended.
And not to be bragadocious or anything but Locke bought Joe and I a shot :grin: How nice/cool is that?
I'd told Locke i was a little upset that he, Race and Pit weren't in the Live Again video, he said he wasn't bothered by it and that he's playing the song that's in the video, so he's a part of it regardless. Which was a good point and i hadn't thought about. but he did confirm that the masked man driving the carriage is Static AND here's some big news....hopefully it's alright to share this...
they're making or have made another "performance" video for Live Again, which everyone will be in and i assume is to promote Live Again as the single! And they're assuming that they'll be heading back on the road after the Manson tour, they just don't know the details yet.

After the show we said our goodbyes, thanked him for the show and evening and headed back to the car. Alltogether i had about 6 shots and 3 beers, i'm not a big drinker, or fellow for that matter, so i def. was drunk by the time we left. Fortunately Joe was ok to drive back home, god knows i wasn't....

But in all the concert was awesome and we had an amazing night, thanks to the kindness and generousity of the greatest band on earth OURS.

P.S.
I did manage to get some people to take some OURS 3-track samplers, and some seemed pretty open to the band. there was a little dude there, maybe only 10 or 11 and last night was his 1st concert....
and I thought, "wow what an interesting 1st show to go to....OURS and Marilyn Manson" :thumbup:

What a fantastic review. Thank you, BG (is "BG" Ok, or would you prefer beautifulghost?).

Drinking with the band! How awesome. And another video! WooHoo!
Thank you beautifulghost, it sounds like you had a great time, and how cool of you guys going up front like that and letting them see ya. to cool indeed
I was reading some threads at MansonUSA and what can I say, I've been incredibly short-sighted and gullible. Oh god. I had no idea people would boo or heckle opening bands.

It makes it feel so incredibly tragic that out of all bands it should be Jimmy & the boys who we know will keep on soldiering bravely no matter what happens. Sad
The part that gets me is, you're hearing how amazing "Murder" is and loving it but when it ends, everyone around you is feeling the EXACT opposite.
The boos start and fingers start showing.

It's like after a movie, and the person you're with says they hated it, and you go, WHAT? That was fucking amazing.. whore. :wink2:
amazingly the guys aren't bothered by it from what they told us....
Pit said "everyone's entitled to their opinion" and made a brushing off the shoulder move
and Locke said he thinks some of it's funny...

they delt with it on the Circa tour and i'm sure they had to expect to receive at least some shit from Manson's crowd....considering they aren't there to see OURS, they want Manson.

And when Joe and I went to get a beer after OURS set I said to him, "that was awesome" and a guy in front of me turned around and said
"you LIKED that?" "Man I feel sorry for you" and I replied "I don't. You're just narrow minded" and smiled.

wow, great re-cap ! thanks
Nine Wrote:It's like after a movie, and the person you're with says they hated it, and you go, WHAT?  That was fucking amazing.. whore. :wink2:

Hahaha, I love you.
So I agree, there was quite a bit of heckling going on. It broke my heart. This dude in front of me was booing and yelling 'you suck,' so I tapped him on the shoulder and said "hi. Your middle fingers are obstructing my view. I came for this band, and you're kind of ruining my experience." He rolled his eyes and started laughing and I told him he's entitled to his own opinion, but right now he needs to stfu. And these obnoxious girls next to me kept laughing hysterically any time Jimmy screamed or sang falsetto. I'm not sure why... and I also was called a "roadie" (I think he meant "groupie") by a hillbilly standing behind me. God forbid a girl gets into a show. So during "Willing," I left my spot, went to the back of the floor with a friend, and we had a dance party. It was fun.

A few people asked me too "who is this band?" although it was loud and clear in lights behind them Wink

I didn't start drinking until after Ours. Haha. Get it. After Ours.

They always put on a stellar show, but I'd be lying if I said it was their best. I want my two hour shows back!

*points at your name*
I wanna listen to Dream Brother now! :detective:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Review of the NY gig on November 29th 2019 silke 1 611 03-22-2020, 08:05 AM
Last Post: ubbadubba
  8.10.13 prophet bar show review & pics starlit 12 1,086 08-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Last Post: watchtower
  bowery show review starlit 1 580 07-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Last Post: northstar80
  Angry Shitty review from Bowery Ballroom in NYC on May 25th 2010 digenger 27 4,787 06-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Last Post: Formica Linoleum
  NYC Review 07-19-07 Nine 26 3,701 05-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Trathena
  4/14 Bottom Lounge chicago review jargen 13 1,639 04-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Last Post: splithesky
  Review of Salt Lake City 03.31.09 wamba 2 579 04-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Last Post: SarahBeth
  Columbus, OH 8/4 supshirtz 19 2,701 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Last Post: redjez
  oct 16/17??? details? review? anything? starlit 20 2,530 10-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Trathena
  Nokia Theatre 10/12 show review TheLastCornellian 20 2,928 10-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Last Post: hatethejess