Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Nine Inch Nails fans?
Pirate Girl Wrote:Are you ready for a small dose of intense pleasure?

GodDAMN! I said GodDAMN!

When? where? wtf??? I've never heard of any of this before!

Oh god. I'm forever in your debt Pirate Girl. We may disagree about With Teeth, but oh my God. I love you.
Awww, shucks! I love you too Trathena and to prove it here are a couple more. They were on the NIN website a couple of years ago.

and

I think that's all there was, the three of them.
Squeee! You led me to Muse and dredg, and now this. I'll always adore you. :-)

I found the All That Could Have Been double CD (with the Still EP) used on Amazon for 14.98. Dude swears it's not a bootleg. I have it in writing. We'll see.

How could I not have known about the Still EP? I have the concert DVD!

Just picked up some great seats through the fanclub for the st. louis show in august. What will the live band consist of this time around? Robin is back right?
I'll be seeing NIN on Thursday. I wish A Place to Bury Strangers was playing this show instead of Deerhunter, but oh well...I'll be seeing APTB in September again anyway.

I wish they were playing a few more tracks off The Fragile, but I knew the focus would Year Zero, Ghosts (3 - 5 songs), and The Slip since they hadn't toured the US behind those albums yet. There's at least 1 - 2 songs off each album.
Where are you getting this information??? Only because I was clueless about this tour. I was hoping that it would be a Year Zero tour.

I'm seeing them in St. Louis on the 20th. I have never heard of APTBS (they'll be opening), and I was kind of disappointed the opening act isn't Deerhunter. :-) But you say that APTBS is good? Deerhunter would have fit with Ghosts. What's APTBS like? I've not yet devoted the time to youtubing them.
I've been looking at the set lists posted on Echoing the Sound.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbbx/vi...m.php?f=17

the last show posted there has:

letting you
discipline
march of the pigs
head down
the frail
closer
gave up
the warning
vessel
~3 ghosts songs
piggy
the greater good
pinion
wish
terrible lie
survivalism
the big come down
~ghosts
only
down in it
the hand that feeds
head like a hole

encore:
echoplex
god given
the good soldier
hurt
in this twilight

a couple songs here and there have been interchanged (one show had The Wretched and most had 999,999 for example).

APTBS combines shoegaze, classic indie rock, and atmospheric sounds...the lead singer builds all his own pedals that are crazy and he sells them as well. they were the loudest band I've ever seen. I'm curious how that translates to an arena type show. I saw them in a club with HolyF*ck and I'll be seeing them in a slightly bigger club in September. Jesus and the Mary Chain are one of their influences. Here's their myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/aplacetoburystrangers
I really can't ask for more from this set list. I'm trying not to be lame, but since this is my first ever NIN concert, just the fact that I might get "Piggy," "March of the Pigs," "Closer," "Head Like a Whole," and THE BEST SONG EVER WRITTEN: "Hurt," is so wonderful, you can't imagine.

And so many songs from Year Zero too!

APTBS sounds fantastic. And I'm jealous that you've seen HolyF*ck live. :-)

Two more weeks! Will anyone else be in St. Louis?
I don't know if anyone else knows about this, but I went to the site to read about Trent's illness, and found this:

http://dl.nin.com/lightsinthesky/signup

It's a free EP download of all of the opening acts. I've not listened yet, but, yippee!
yea, that was posted a while ago.

Set list from the show I went to last night:

Letting You
Discipline
March of the Pigs
The Frail
The Wretched
Closer
Gave Up
The Warning
The Great Destroyer
1 Ghosts I
5 Ghosts I
19 Ghosts II
Ghost Piggy (Piggy done with the Ghosts set up)
The Greater Good
Pinion
Wish
Terrible Lie
Survivalism
The Big Come Down
31 Ghosts III
Only (new intro)
The Hand that Feeds
Head Like a Hole

encore
Echoplex
God Given
The Good Soldier
Hurt
In This Twilight (with Zero Sum piano outro)

awesome show...as I mentioned in the Radiohead thread I purchased tickets today for the rescheduled Worcester show in November Smile
spaz Wrote:yea, that was posted a while ago.

WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY ANYTHING????
ummm, I don't know? It wasn't something that really interested me. I have the APTBS song already since I have their album. I have the CC remix of the Health song because I have the Health remix album. And I have the NIN song because I have the album. The other 2 don't interest me so I didn't d/l it. he put that up when the tour was announced I believe.
spaz Wrote:ummm, I don't know?

LOL! I was just kidding around. :-)
I know...it's a cool idea, but it didn't interest me due to having 3/5ths of it and not caring about the other 2/5ths.
spaz Wrote:I know...it's a cool idea, but it didn't interest me due to having 3/5ths of it and not caring about the other 2/5ths.

That's because you are musically literate, and I'm an idiot who only started getting into good music a year ago! :-)
I am honestly incredibly proud [and inevitably making myself sound very dated] to admit that I was majorly into NIN right at the onset of their rise to fame. The very first time I saw Head Like A Hole on 120 minutes on MTV when I was a teenager, I went out and got Pretty Hate Machine. Having been a Ministry fan already, I instantly took to the sound. I loved everything on through The Downward Spiral. I am proud to say I owned a bootleg tape of Purest Feeling [although the song Purest Feeling is not one of my favorites by far]. After that, I just didn't get it anymore. There were a few songs on The Fragile I liked, I actually enjoyed In This Together quite a bit. There were a few songs off With Teeth that I liked. Since I fell out of touch with the music world around that time, I lamentably missed seeing Trent perform with Peter Murphy. I haven't gotten the recent album. I heard a song or two from it and I am just not interested at this point.

What I loved about NIN/TR way back then was he was innovative, fresh, powerful, potent and original. I loved the tormented soul and the raw honesty he put into his lyrics and his singing. I mean the
power of hearing "Wish" for the first time was nothing short of a phenomenon for me. I feel, and please don't hate me for it, that Trent put his heart and soul out there when he did The Downward Spiral....I just don't hear that in him anymore.
Going to see them for the third time august 20 in st. louis. Can't wait!!
I'll be there, too jlatham!

DizzyGirl, I was a "grown up" fan during Pretty Hate Machine as well. The first time I heard "Head Like a Hole" was in The Dungeon in New Orleans (yes, old enough to be in the French Quarter). I was there with my brother and we were dancing, and it came on and my brother went nuts and I just stood still right there on the dance floor listening to the song. This guy came up and started dancing in front of me, and I asked, "Who is this?" He and my brother said, "Nine Inch Nails!" It was an instant love affair. Mentally and . . . physically.

You said it perfectly with "innovative, fresh, powerful, potent and original." I won't even try to top that. Trent Reznor changed my life. The way I listen to music, what I expect from it. He taught me to actively listen to music, instead of passively. He reminded me that musicians are poets. He led me to realize that many of the grunge/alternative musicians were Romantic Poets.

The Downward Spiral is, in my opinion, a precious gift to the fucking world. "Hurt" is one of the best songs every written and performed.

But I've never let the band go. I love The Fragile. There are songs on there as good as any on TDS. I do admit that With Teeth is not as special as any of its predecessors, including Broken, but it's still a very good CD, in my opinion.

Year Zero is (again, in my opinion) the best album of 2007. I've listened to quite a bit of Ghosts, but regretfully, I've not given The Slip any of my time. I need to do that, but I've recently discovered Fair to Midland, Marillion, and The Dear Hunter. I can't seem to tear myself away from them.

So that's my missive on NIN. I tend to go on and one about this band, due to them being as life-changing for me as Ours is. And yet, next week will be my first NIN concert.

By the way, I too "fell out of touch" with music for awhile.

Also? please send me a file of that "Purest Feeling" bootleg you have. :-)
Trathena Wrote:Also? please send me a file of that "Purest Feeling" bootleg you have. :-)

Im sorry its on casette tape and I don't know how to get casette onto the computer. Theres only 2 songs that weren't on PHM which are "Purest Feeling" and "maybe just once". The rest are different versions, [possibly test versions from the less polished sound of them]. The version of Ringfinger on there is not so great and he does this little part where he sings out of tune that is not that great but its just one of those things that I love for its imperfection. but "Maybe Just Once" is one of my favorites and if you get a chance, get it. I like the version of "That's What I Get" on here better than PHM in some regards but both are close to my heart.

"Trent Reznor changed my life. The way I listen to music, what I expect from it. He taught me to actively listen to music, instead of passively. He reminded me that musicians are poets. He led me to realize that many of the grunge/alternative musicians were Romantic Poets. The Downward Spiral is, in my opinion, a precious gift to the fucking world. "Hurt" is one of the best songs every written and performed."

What you expressed was so beautiful, and I was right there with you. i completely agree and given that fact...I have to take a chance and buy the newer CD by them. I know you said you love the Fragile, but honestly I felt like the Fragile broke my heart in a way because I felt that the passion had left him in every song except In A Dark Place [and it was the first time I actually loathed a song by NIN..."Starf'ers Inc".] Maybe I had expectations of it at the time that made me not enjoy it, I will have to bring it out of storage and give it another listen. For the second time today, you have made me reconsider my opinion of something!
Yay! I hope you like it better the second time around. That happens to me sometimes (most recently with The Dear Hunter).

When I think of Trent's quintessential sound--that wonderful piano--I think of The Fragile more than any of his other albums. And those CDs have some incredible instrumentals. I think that "Starfuckers, Inc." is such a fan favorite because it's so great to see live, and during the Fragile tour, Marilyn Manson would come out and sing with him. But yeah, it's a weak song on the CD set.

[obvious statement]The Fragile is not a sequel or a "follow-up" to The Downward Spiral. When you don't think of it in those terms, its genius is more obvious.[/obvious statement]

"The Wretched" alone is worth the price. And "Pilgrimage!" and "La Mer!"

Oh gosh, I need to listen to it right now! :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dredg Fans- Link To Webrip Leak Of The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion toolerawk 21 7,747 12-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Last Post: devinemarko
  Distrails (Fans of NEVERENDING WHITE LIGHTS + others) SoundscapeMN 6 1,073 02-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Last Post: thinktwice
  The Antlers: I REALLY THINK MORE OURS FANS SHOULD HEAR THEM SoundscapeMN 9 1,206 01-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN
  Nine Inch nails - Wave Goodbye tour digenger 8 1,282 09-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Last Post: spaz
  SCOTT MATTHEWS (Jeff Buckley fans esp) SoundscapeMN 6 949 06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN
  Blindside Fans? dmmtv 6 911 05-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Last Post: digenger
  For fans of the heavy: my band's new EP Sinistas 2 652 11-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Last Post: GridWave
  Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero jlatham 4 819 05-29-2007, 03:31 AM
Last Post: hellomargo
  Uk fans... inn 8 1,232 06-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Last Post: inn