Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Buckley on iTunes
I was on iTunes yesterday and Jeff Buckly was #2 on the top songs downloaded, it was for hallelujah. Why did it catch on all of a sudden? Usually when this happens, the song is in a movie or commercial. Anyone know?
Well, that song has been in MANY tv shows, I believe. I've read it was on The O.C like, on 3 different occasions, and shows like Law and Order and stuff. So, maybe that has something to do with it...
A dreaded-headed dude on American Idol did it Tuesday night and the judges loved it. Buckley's is the version that all versions should be compared to since he totally made it his own. I cringed when I watched it, but they really liked it. That started the mass downloading in my estimation.

that explains it. and yeah...I couldn't listen to the whole thing.
Ah, yes, my little sister's friend said, "HEY! That song is on Shrek!"

Am I like the only person to NEVER have watched an American Idol?
according to my sister reading perez hilton's blog - the person sang it on american idol and Simon Cowell said that Buckley's version of the song was his favorite.

It's about time mainstream media recognizes his beautiful version (I've played Buckley's version and people go "oh it's that Shrek song!" or "is this a cover of Rufus Wainwright?") *nods in disbelief
the power of american idol is amazing...I bet labels pay for their artists songs to be sung by contestants...unless thats already happening and I just don't know.
Actually, I think he sounds pretty darn good, considering this is an amateur talent show.

Also, that he even knows who Jeff Buckley is raises him in my estimation, considering I just discovered Buckley last year.
I admit to being an American Idol freak. I was really surprised that Simon said it was his favorite song. You have to give him his props. Simon is kind of a prick but his criticisms are usally right. His does't like sappy versions of songs.

The guy who sang it did very credible job of what was a really ballsy, risky song choice. Throw in tens of millions of viewers, Jeff's definitive version and LIVE. What the judges liked was his sincerity, which means he's really into Jeff. We're starting to see his influence on the mainstream music scene, and American Idol IS the mainstream.

Don't be too cool for the show. They're opening up the rules and this year the singers can play their own instruments and cooler people are getting further along, namely the guy who sang 'Jeff's' song. By the way, Leonard Cohen, who wrote the song is being inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame this year, this week I think. He deserves it for that song alone.

By the way, my prediction for the winner is a 16 year old kid named David Archiletta. He has a really beautiful, soulful voice. Way beyond his years. Not only will he win, but he will become a huge star as well.
And the world will be a better place. Later. L.

David Archiletta deserves any fame and fortune that comes his way. But I liked this guy too.

I'm not a constant viewer, and I never watched American Idol until I heard of Chris Daughtry (sp?), but I'm not "too cool" for most things, and I hate when large groups of people say that only "losers" watch/enjoy/read something, so I'll tune in just to be ornery. (and, yeah, I know that is--in its own way--conforming, we can't really win, can we?)

That being said, I was (and remain) impressed at how consistent the contestants are. It's live. They have no studio, Rick Rubin, voice-machine, pretty-making tweaking to help them. It's them and a TV band (with all its limitations) and a mic. And week after week they get out there and sing, and very, very seldom do the finalists badly screw up.

I've seen enough live performances (the grammy's, mtv, concerts, etc.) where so-called professional, "real" singers sound like fucking crap (Chili Peppers, Pumpkins, god-help-me dredg) to know that far too much music today is prettied-up in the studio. These kids don't have that luxury. They either sing well or they don't.

From what I understand, this show began as a place to find pop stars. But it's not a "pop star" competition anymore, thanks to Daughtery (sp?). It allows rappers, and R&B, and Southern Rock, and Prog, and Alternative, and adult contemporary (yawn), and yes, Pop. Like Lobo said, the contestants play their own instruments. Last season, they let them re-write some of the songs if they had creative ideas. I will never be a fan of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, or that waste of human life, Kelly Pickler. But damn. Many of these kids have talent. I'm glad they get a chance to perform. Life's short and they're having an adventure not by eating rats on an island, but doing what they love and honing their singing abilities.

I'm not a fan of most Pop or Country music, but Kelly and Carrie have good voices. I understand the appeal of "Indie cred." The last time I watched the Grammies, I had to laugh at their "all your favorite music" comments because my favorite bands aren't anywhere near the mainstream charts. But remember, we're on a fan board for a guy who isn't interested in being an Indie artist anymore than, say, Bo Bice is.

And in the end it's a talent competition, and for the life of me, I don't remember when competing in legitimate talent competitions became worthy of so much scorn.
Now its #1 on itunes...beating out Usher. HAH! thats amazing.

It's hard to listen to someone else do a song like that when you have heard Buckley do it. It just feels wrong. It wasn't bad, it's the mentality of "what are you doing? you can't sing jeff buckley, and because you are trying I hate you" which is unfair, but it did go through my mind, and the reason I didn't listen to him do the whole thing.
I felt the same way after hearing Buckley's version of a Leonard Cohen song. ;-)

Not really. :-)

But, truthfully, I've had that reaction before too. When that Australian dude sang Simple Minds I had to squelch my instant knee-jerk prejudice and let him do his thing. We all have emotional attachments to certain versions of certain songs. But, seriously, that Castro kid's version was simply lovely. And you can tell he's a Buckley fan, and he understood the lyrics.

But I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, and I'm wondering why I'm posting so much in an American Idol thread.
That made all the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, but not in a good way. His delivery was too stilted and breathy.

Better than Rufus Wainwright's version though. :devil:
Damn, the power of corporate pop culture!

More on the Buckley phenomenon.

God Bless....

To hell with AI. But I agree, at least It got Jeff HUGE recognition, that he has deserved for a loooong time, in the mainstream. It was deff because of AI... the next day it went to no. 4 and then up and up. Also got listed as "What's Hot" Album and under 'Staff Favorites" on Itunes. Its ridiculous the fact that the only song that received any ratings (if you view Grace in itunes) is hallelujah.
I am a straight man and I would kiss Jeff right on his lips.
that's all well and good, but frankly, Jeff Buckley's original music should be what people should be hearing. That bio-pic might help that..however much it may still feel like his it's his mother's self-interest in mind.
Seems like everyone wants a piece.

Taken from Dlisted.com

Petey Pete Wentz has admitted that he once came close to ending it all. He was out of control and a bunch of doctors put him on prescription meds. These celebrities get the goods so fucking easy. I have to give a Meryl Streep performance just to get a little Vicodin from my doctor.

Petey painted the picture of that fateful night, "I got in my car. I remember I was listening to Jeff Buckley doing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" and sat there and took a bunch of [anxiety drug] Ativan in a Best Buy parking lot. And I called up my manager because I was, at that point, completely out of my head with Ativan. And I was talking to him and I was slurring my words, so he called my mom and my mom called me and she came and got me and we went to the hospital."

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I share even the tiniest bit of my musical taste with Wentz...ha ha...

How can you be a Jeff fan and still churn out such horrid music?
something related to JB for myself. Not sure what exactly this is, but apparently I'm going to be sent some cd that Jeff personally owned for what it's worth:

Quote:Subject: re:"Grace Around The World" Contest

congrats, you won the CD from Jeff Buckley's personal collection. I'm relaying your info to the fulfilment people, it should be sent out this week

thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jeff Buckley movie? lobo 16 5,431 08-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Last Post: SarahBeth
  SCOTT MATTHEWS (Jeff Buckley fans esp) SoundscapeMN 6 949 06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN
  Jeff Buckley Tribute Show - Want To Participate? toolerawk 7 861 06-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Last Post: toolerawk
  Jeff Buckley BBC Documentary SoundscapeMN 6 927 02-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Last Post: drkdglr13
  10 Years Ago Today: Jeff Buckley died SoundscapeMN 20 2,923 06-08-2007, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Pirate Girl
  UNCOMMON GROUND Jeff Buckley Tribute SoundscapeMN 3 762 11-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Last Post: KidA
  Jeff Buckley biopic thisotherkingdom 16 2,627 08-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Last Post: SammyDoll
Sad Jeff Buckley ..9 years ago today, RIP SoundscapeMN 5 964 06-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Last Post: KillTheBand