Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, new OURS fan here...
Wow just wow.

A little history about me. I am a huge MUSE fan, and I also like bands like Placebo, Interpol, Radiohead, VAST.... I found OURS while browsing for new music similar to these bands and I was instantly hooked.

No band has come close to "reaching" me emotionaly like Muse until I found Ours (Mercy).  I immediately purchased DL and Precious. For me DL is just as strong, but it was a little drop off for me with Precious. Kill the Band and Broken are INCREDIBLE songs but it feels like they were trying to get more radio play with the rest of songs. (maybe I need to spend more time with it)

Can't wait to see them live, here in Houston.

If any OURS fan have not heard Muse, check them out, I hear some similarities, and MUSE is AMAZING live, just as OURS (I've heard) is.

What's the deal with OURS not have a set group of band members? I can see these guys taking off, why would you not want to be a part of it. How are they doing in EUROPE? I think they would do well there.

Welcome.

Regarding your final question, my theory is that "fame" is not for everyone.
<3 Glad to have you here
Welcome. Smile

Ah, the way I see it...the real gems in music usually remain somewhat hidden. Ours have yet to take off really big here or anywhere else. That's not to say that can't claim success at all. But when you think of bands like Coldplay or Radiohead...U2, etc...they are still very low on the radar. Kind of ridiculous when you think of how great they are.

Maybe that has something to do with why they rotate band members so much. I doubt if they gained as much notoriety as a band like Coldplay anyone would be dumb enough not to stay committed.

Regardless of who's in it though, they stay really great because the brain behind it is always there. I always hear similar things about Distorted and Mercy. Both on about or the same caliber. Then Precious is off on its own. Jimmy described it as a fluke. Deliberate choice on his part to stray from what he'd usually do. Even he expresses disappointment with it, so it's not far off that other people would notice a difference in quality. Even with that, it's still a good album.

Anyhoot! I'm glad you have good ears, lol. Welcome once again..
welcome Hmontesjr. I was lucky enough to catch a Muse live a few years back and they were awesome, they do put on a great live performance. I think you will truly enjoy Ours live not to mention they enjoy talking to their fans so hopefully you can meet the guys
lsnowden Wrote:welcome Hmontesjr. I was lucky enough to catch a Muse live a few years back and they were awesome, they do put on a great live performance. I think you will truly enjoy Ours live not to mention they enjoy talking to their fans so hopefully you can meet the guys

I like Snowden too! :thumbup:
Hi Hmontesjr. Wow - another VAST fan! I'm listening to 'Dedicate (A Place For Me)' right now, coincidentally. I had a thing for Muse for about 6 months around BH&R time. I bought all the albums and even saw them live, but they just didn't keep my interest.

As for band members, I think Ours are more like NIN than Coldplay or U2 in that Ours basically is Jimmy Gnecco (and Race I suppose as he seems to stay whatever) and the other members are incidental to the driving creative force. It's not done Trent any harm, but I doubt Ours will ever have the mass appeal of any of the aforementioned and if they ever changed to make it so they did, I think they'd lose what makes me love them so much.

How are they doing in Europe? Well, I'm in England and nobody I know seems to have heard of them, but they seem to have a small but loyal fanbase. One day they may actually make it over here for a few gigs. VAST managed it a couple of months back and they don't even have a major label.
Pirate Girl Wrote:Hi Hmontesjr. Wow - another VAST fan! I'm listening to 'Dedicate (A Place For Me)' right now, coincidentally. I had a thing for Muse for about 6 months around BH&R time. I bought all the albums and even saw them live, but they just didn't keep my interest.

As for band members, I think Ours are more like NIN than Coldplay or U2 in that Ours basically is Jimmy Gnecco (and Race I suppose as he seems to stay whatever) and the other members are incidental to the driving creative force. It's not done Trent any harm, but I doubt Ours will ever have the mass appeal of any of the aforementioned and if they ever changed to make it so they did, I think they'd lose what makes me love them so much.

How are they doing in Europe? Well, I'm in England and nobody I know seems to have heard of them, but they seem to have a small but loyal fanbase. One day they may actually make it over here for a few gigs. VAST managed it a couple of months back and they don't even have a major label.

Thanks, the NIN comparison makes sense.

Did you see/listen to H.A.A.R.P? (Muse live at Wembley)

I think OURS would be very well received in England.
Hello and welcome. Love Interpol too!!!
I saw Muse for the first time in 2005. I enjoy Muse and they're great live. But no concert in my span of shows from 1995-2008 have ever come close to topping Ours. I am emotionally drained (in a liberating kind of way) after an Ours show. So much intensity and passion it's so beautiful!
The first song I ever heard of Ours was "Broken"...a very moving song, so I was hooked instantly. My favorite band by far. Smile

Anyway - do you like Shudder to Think? Kent?
Sorry...i could talk about music all day =)
BTW, I'm in Dallas...you should come up for the HOB show here too! Smile
I was considering going to the Abilene show and the Austin show...
hey i'm new too, hope you don't mind me butting in Hmontesjr.

i've skimmed this forum, just never joined until now. I've been an Ours fan since....uh let me think back, '01 i believe it is.

hey i'm in the Houston area as well, wanted to go see them in Austin and Dallas as well, but it's mandatory for me to work that weekend, so I might just make a run for Dallas and come back for the Houston show.
Yay! It's nice to see some new fans trickle in. Smile The NIN comparison as far as line-up goes is pretty close. It's a revolving door. I seem to remember an interview in which Jimmy stated that while, the touring line-up may change a bit, everyone who has been involved with Ours remains a part of the band. Ah yes, that was the Suicide Girls interview.

I like Muse too. I saw them at Curiosa. They are similiar... my mom heard Muse on the radio once and she said, "Is that Jimmy?" Lol. She never calls them Ours. It's always "Jimmy." "What's that Jimmy song I like? The butterfly one?" :grin:

Anyway, welcome, and I hope you get a chance to see them live very soon. It's an indescribable experience, really.
Pirate Girl Wrote:How are they doing in Europe? Well, I'm in England and nobody I know seems to have heard of them, but they seem to have a small but loyal fanbase. One day they may actually make it over here for a few gigs. VAST managed it a couple of months back and they don't even have a major label.

Where in england are you?? I didnt know there were that many fans over there..I need some 'Ours' company when i'm back in stinky London working to pay for my next Ours tour :wink2:
raahhaa....welcome to paradise friend. i acknowledge your liking of vast. brilliant band. same goes for the others, but who doesn't like them?.....as for your precious comment, i feel as if it's an acquired album for sure. may be because i listened to them from the start and connect so much with DL. if you give it a few more plays it will click though. it has so many strong points. i can't name one song that doesn't do much for me other than in a minute. give leaves, places, and most importantlly chapter 2 another take. granted it isn't mastered like mercy or as dark as dl it has it's own sincerity. you'll find appreciation more as you take it in.
p.s if you learn to like it, seek their sour material.
dredg_12 Wrote:p.s if you learn to like it, seek their sour material.

Sour, yes... essential Ours fan material. Especially if you used to like JellyFish back in the day. To me, Sour sounds very much like JellyFish...and that's a good thing.
I love love love Muse and Placebo. I've waited years to see Muse and I finally did in the Summer of 2006 (I think it was 06). mmmm

Welcome to the forums!
Welcome, you're in good company!

Muse is my favorite band, seen 'em live three times, each more epic than the last. Ours is a close second and narrowing the gap by each passing day. Like Muse, they're even better in person.

Give Precious some extra time and it'll slowly reveal itself to you. I think it took me about a dozen sessions, but now I get it. I remember listening to Red Colored Stars and suddenly getting chills at the part where he screams "There's a wall in my way/There's a war in my way" and I knew I had finally cracked it.

I'd wait a little while before jumping into Sour, you'll be a hardcore Ours junkie soon enough, and it seems you have a full plate at the moment. I will say it's pretty damn impressive for a demo.
Hey, you guys are really cool.

I thought there would be some Muse fans in here.

I haven't given up on PRECIOUS, listening to Chapter 2 right now (liking it) and Broken is an EPIC song.

I'll check out those bands that were recommended, I love new (new to me) lesser known, music. Houston radio is REALLY bad, Unless you love NickleBack, so I rely on websites and people like you for recommendations.

Can't wait for the live show, I think I'll buy a ticket right now.
I may have to go by myself, I don't know anyone who has even heard of OURS. I need to spread the word.

Black Wrote:Give Precious some extra time and it'll slowly reveal itself to you.  I think it took me about a dozen sessions, but now I get it.  I remember listening to Red Colored Stars and suddenly getting chills at the part where he screams "There's a wall in my way/There's a war in my way" and I knew I had finally cracked it.

YES!!! I remember one time when they were performing RCS and when he screamed that line, he really emphasized WAR and it really hit me hard due to the US govts Iraq tactics at the time and it gave me goosebumps and made the moment and the song that much more powerful. Hard to explain really....
Hmontesjr Wrote:I'll check out those bands that were recommended, I love new (new to me) lesser known, music. Houston radio is REALLY bad, Unless you love NickleBack, so I rely on websites and people like you for recommendations.

*whistles casually* http://myspace.com/WHRWpenguins

haha.

If you like Ours and Muse I'd recommend Dredg, they're great (Ours actually opened [or was it main support?] for them in '06). There's a thread in the General Discussion forum called something like "Recommend/find new music" where we all talk about bands we love and think other people here would dig too.:punk:

Ours is definitely a "word of mouth" band. They've been under the radar these past 5 or so years, but their fanbase has been alive and growing based solely on music fans passing an Ours recommendation to their friends and people around them. So if you don't know a friend that knows or likes Ours, just take them out to the show and they'll be converted in no time Smile