Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, new OURS fan here...
i think ours, muse and radiohead all share the same influences. i know they all admire jeff buckley for one.
redjez Wrote:Where in england are you?? I didnt know there were that many fans over there..I need some 'Ours' company when i'm back in stinky London working to pay for my next Ours tour :wink2:

I'm up North near Manchester. A bit far from London for a pint and a chinwag unfortunately, but give us a shout if you're ever passing this way.
based on what your tastes are..not to add so much more, but another band you may like is Porcupine Tree (and Blackfield as well, another one of Steven Wilson's projects).

But I was gonna say welcome and also mention something you may not be aware of. If you notice the gap in time from PRECIOUS to MERCY..long time anyway; Ours/Jimmy Gnecco have a lot of songs that didn't end up on MERCY, that they've played live. Ours are very much a live band. There's a lot of recordings out there since they are road warriors (much like Texas's own King's X and recently, Fair to Midland). go to archive.org if you're interested in finding some stuff..there's like 40 or 50 shows up there to download.
Two of my top favorite shows were seeing (and opening) for Jimmy earlier this year. Just unbelievably spectacular and humbling at the same time. It truly makes you appreciate the art.

and seeing MUSE at Popscene SF a few years back. A venue that held 700 or so people. Mind you this was after Absolution was out in the UK for a few months, and either ust released or jsut about to be released in the US. So they were "on tour" and brought some of the big massive, retina burning, light show and plopped it against the wall in this tiny venue as a gag. Amazing, if you are tall like me and can see over the pool of people in there.

Liek most said here, check out Dredge, you may also like Strata, especially the second record (Presents the end of the world). Even tho Eric and I are acquaintances/friends, I'm sincere in saying he's got some cool stuff going on in that record. Another local band that Muse fans really like are Unjust.

I also agree Porcupine tree = great

oh and duh.... Jeff Buckley of course, tho I find Muse fans have a hard time getting into him. While OURS tends to latch them in once they close their eyes and listen. Buckley needs even less distraction, for Muse fans it seems. Ritalin perhaps Smile I keeed I keeed! Hell I went to see HAARP play at a theater out here in SF, so yah I'm a geek for em!

and If I ever get off my as and finish these records maybe you'll like my stuff too Smile (I have no shame...)
bxdash Wrote:and If I ever get off my as and finish these records maybe you'll like my stuff too Smile (I have no shame...)

yes plz, hurry up and finish ash!
I AM a fan of Porcupine Tree, but I did not know about Blackfield...really liking it!! :thumbup:

Thanks!
oh wow! porcupine tree and blackfield are like pb and j..... you must take them both in. no-man is another project of stevens. much more ambient based, but amazingly beautiful.
bxdash Wrote:Liek most said here, check out Dredge

You are forgiven for your typo, it happens to the best of us...

no, I did not rip extra copies of DREDG cds for my radio show and accidentally add the E at the end... *shifty eyes*

haha.

but great recommendations, any specific songs or CDs from Strata to check out?
Oh God. I recently did that on the goddamn dredg board itself. It's a wonder they still let me post there.

And I love hearing praise for Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, and Steven Wilson. He's up there with Jimmy, Trent, and Matthew Bellamy these days.

Welcome Newbies everywhere!
Its funny, I've known about dredg for ages, and we all hang in some of the same circles, but almost EVERY F'n TIME I type the name I keep adding the E. Even tho I KNOW its not supposed to be there. Its frustrating Smile

Check out Strata: Presents the end of the world in particular. Its quite a departure from their first effort which was more straightforward rock based.

If you're a dredg fan you'll prolly like that CD alot. It feels very dredg/muse influenced, but Eric's got a pretty distinct delivery that I particularly like on that record. Its an album that after a few listens you find yourself really enjoying.

Eric's new band The limousines opened for them here last month. Its quite different, but worth checking out
well..fwiw..even the dredg guys wish their name was different now..so a typo is forgiven..although what I wish more people would pick up on..not just around here but many other forums I'm on, is the intentional lower-case spelling of their name.
SoundscapeMN Wrote:what I wish more people would pick up on..not just around here but many other forums I'm on, is the intentional lower-case spelling of their name.

True. I have to re-tag every damn CD when I rip them because they even rip like: "Dredg." grr.

bxdash: Strata, Eric, limousines. I could swear I saw this band on YouTube but I don't remember the song or the title or much of anything except the voice of the lead singer was very good. The only thing I can remember of the video was the guy was sitting in a living room and singing while watching television. Not much to go on, I know. Hell, it might not have even been Strata, but I think it was.

But that's my possible-Strata-Eric story.
Hmontesjr Wrote:VAST.... I found OURS while browsing for new music similar to these bands and I was instantly hooked.

I think that's how it happened with most of us. I was in high school when I saw the premiere of the 'Sometimes' video and I almost immediately bought the album. They certainly reach in a way that most bands can't. I cried at my first Ours show and just about fainted when I had my picture taken with Jimmy.
SoundscapeMN Wrote:well..fwiw..even the dredg guys wish their name was different now..so a typo is forgiven..although what I wish more people would pick up on..not just around here but many other forums I'm on, is the intentional lower-case spelling of their name.
I'm aware Wink

haha

I've found myself capitalizing the D or the whole thing now, even after talking to Drew about it - so that the name stands out more.
Trathena Wrote:
SoundscapeMN Wrote:what I wish more people would pick up on..not just around here but many other forums I'm on, is the intentional lower-case spelling of their name.

True. I have to re-tag every damn CD when I rip them because they even rip like: "Dredg." grr.

bxdash: Strata, Eric, limousines. I could swear I saw this band on YouTube but I don't remember the song or the title or much of anything except the voice of the lead singer was very good. The only thing I can remember of the video was the guy was sitting in a living room and singing while watching television. Not much to go on, I know. Hell, it might not have even been Strata, but I think it was.

But that's my possible-Strata-Eric story.

yah thats the video for Stay Young I believe. A cool tune, but not their best IMO

I really dig HotCold/Daling Don't

heres a space linky

http://www.myspace.com/strata

Strata's album from last year was pretty good..there's an audio interview of Eric chatting with Dino from dredg after Coachella floating around actually.
I think Dredg gets way too much praise here.. they have a few decent tunes, but their records aren't very solid... nor is his voice.
I tried getting my friends into them too, nobody dug it.

I tried a long time ago to get into Vast but wasn't liking it... many years ago.
Anything I should check out that might sell me on them?

Speaking of Strata, I like their first record alot.
anything after stratas debut was horrible. the whole debut is pretty solid though.

dredg not solid? are you kidding. el cielo is brilliant.

as for vast....i suggest visual audio sensory theater, first and formost & music for the people, as well.
songs in particular-the niles edge, temptation, dirty hole, flames, here, song without a name...really i suggest everything. it may take some aquiring, but they are so artistic.
dredg_12 Wrote:dredg not solid? are you kidding. el cielo is brilliant.

mmhmm.
dredg are great, it is either your cup of tea and you can't get enough, it it isn't -plain and simple.

VAST I've tried to get into, same with Porcupine tree, I have a hard time with both. The latter because the songs are too long for my liking to a point where I get bored.