Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, new OURS fan here...
Nine Wrote:Vast just isn't doing it for me.. I tried, again.

I think I'm at my one word band limit.

bxdash Wrote:You shall soon see that, sometimes, I'm the typo King. I type half thinking about other things sometimes, or thinkin into the next part of the sentence, and things get all dyslexic like!

Be careful...there is a grammer cop on the board.

and now apparently a spelling one-

Darling, I think you mean GRAMMAR Wink
Fiasco! Wrote:
Nine Wrote:Vast just isn't doing it for me.. I tried, again.

I think I'm at my one word band limit.

bxdash Wrote:You shall soon see that, sometimes, I'm the typo King. I type half thinking about other things sometimes, or thinkin into the next part of the sentence, and things get all dyslexic like!

Be careful...there is a grammer cop on the board.

and now apparently a spelling one-

Darling, I think you mean GRAMMAR Wink

HAHA... I would love to say that was intentional.
I so rule.
Did someone say Catherine Wheel? I like them, and I LOVE "Happy Days" I need a new copy, mine skips during "Kill My Soul" and that makes me sad.

I've been listening to a lot of Voltaire as of late, and Queen. I made a Queen cd for my boss. I think everyone at work has a hint of disdain for me now, because some days it's non-stop Queen. I made her an Ours cd too, she doesn't play it.

Nine Wrote:I know a lot of people don't know about these guys, but there is a band called KENT who are awesome and you might want to check out.

Dammit. I was in a record store this afternoon, and I saw a used KENT CD, but I couldn't remember what you said about it, whether you like them or think they suck. And it's VAST you don't like.

I hate getting old.

I'll pick it up the next time I'm there if it's still there. Anyone who likes Ours and Manson has good taste, imo.
So much to respond to here, so I'm going to post-wank you and respond to quoted sentences. So mid-90s!

Pirate Girl Wrote:And U2 I loved in the early 80s, but since the Joshua Tree, I could probably make an album out of the songs they've made since that I actually like. Though it's got to be said Achtung Baby is a decent album.

I'm the complete opposite. I've never thought anything by U2 sucked, but I didn't really get into them until Joshua Tree and I love Achtung Baby just as much. Everything since, however, I've not even bought. It's not that I don't enjoy it, but not enough to get entire albums.

Quote:It's funny when people say "Ooh - if you like this band, you'll like that band who are quite like them".

I'll never forget hearing someone say, "If you like Radiohead, you'll like Coldplay." Um . . . NOOOOOO!

Quote:Which would probably be self explanatory if you listen to either John Frusciante, HIM or InMe who I just adore and have nothing in common at all.

I don't know if you ever saw it, but I actually wrote a post to you thanking you for the Frusciante recommendation. I got ahold of an InMe album and am surprised at how much I enjoy it. I'm surprised because on quite a few songs, they'd start, and I'd think, "oh, not good," and then BOOM he'd get to the chorus or change a note or whatever and it would suddenly be glorious.

I do not care for the two songs by HIM that I've heard, which is surprising because I thought I'd love them.

Quote:In fact, I discovered ours via a fellow Jeff Buckley fan.

I discovered Ours partly via a fellow VAST fan. :-)

Quote:I have unfortunately found my voice too - sadly I have the vocal talents of a rutting elephant seal.

Ha! I'm tone deaf. Can't find the note to save my soul. I sing when I'm alone, but not in front of people.
SoundscapeMN Wrote:VAST, I do like their 1st album a fair amount as it grew on me, their 2nd disc is hit and miss but I could go for revisiting, but to suggest they are ever gonna come close to connecting with me like Ours seems unfathomable.

I totally know what you mean. VAST's music was very influential to me at the turn of the century (sounds strange to say that about 2000), and I love his first five CDs. I really don't care for the direction he's taken his music and life recently, though.

And no, as fantastic as V.A.S.T is, it's no Distorted Lullabies.

Quote:The guy tho i will not stop pimping to any and all music fans is Kevin Gilbert. So many people know Jeff Buckley's music and story..inspired by and appreciate the brilliance and diversity..KG is so much deserving of the same recognition.

Listen to him, everyone! The man speaks TRUTH!!!!
Formica Linoleum Wrote:I LOVE "Happy Days"

Yeah, it was good, but it kinda jumped the shark when Fonzi jumped the shark.

heehee!

heeheehee!
Trathena Wrote:
SoundscapeMN Wrote:VAST, I do like their 1st album a fair amount as it grew on me, their 2nd disc is hit and miss but I could go for revisiting, but to suggest they are ever gonna come close to connecting with me like Ours seems unfathomable.

I totally know what you mean. VAST's music was very influential to me at the turn of the century (sounds strange to say that about 2000), and I love his first five CDs. I really don't care for the direction he's taken his music and life recently, though.

And no, as fantastic as V.A.S.T is, it's no Distorted Lullabies.

Quote:The guy tho i will not stop pimping to any and all music fans is Kevin Gilbert. So many people know Jeff Buckley's music and story..inspired by and appreciate the brilliance and diversity..KG is so much deserving of the same recognition.

Listen to him, everyone! The man speaks TRUTH!!!!

thanks!..well here's a few links for people to check out:

http://kevingilbert.com
http://www.myspace.com/toymatinee
http://www.myspace.com/kevingilbert
http://www.myspace.com/kevingilbertgiraffe

on Kent I am meaning to check them out now..from some comments on another forum I was reading about them, they sound like they could be somewhat similar to a band I really like, but other than on 1 forum (Decoymusic) I don't know too many others who dig in the Icelandic band Dikta
http://www.myspace.com/dikta
Trathena Wrote:
Nine Wrote:I know a lot of people don't know about these guys, but there is a band called KENT who are awesome and you might want to check out.

Dammit. I was in a record store this afternoon, and I saw a used KENT CD, but I couldn't remember what you said about it, whether you like them or think they suck. And it's VAST you don't like.

I hate getting old.

I'll pick it up the next time I'm there if it's still there. Anyone who likes Ours and Manson has good taste, imo.

If it's Hagnesta Hill...it's well worth it.

If you give me a day or so, I can link a file for you to download with the best of.
Nine Wrote:If you give me a day or so, I can link a file for you to download with the best of.

Oh! Oh! Thank you! I'll repay the favor if you find anything on my last.fm that you think you'd like.

Thank you!
Thanks for the reply Trathena.

Well, my excuse with U2 is they were my first real musical love in the early 80s when I was about 12. I can still listen to the early stuff off Boy and sing along word for word. I got a lot of stick for it too as everybody else was into all that New Romantic stuff or Punk. Even then I spanned several genres, though Goth like the Sisters Of Mercy and a bit of pre poodle hair Glam like Hanoi Rocks were my things. I took a perverse pleasure in being different - he-he!

Okay, I don't really get Radiohead but there are songs of theirs I like, but Coldplay (bleeeeuurgh!) are just pants. You should hear Frusciante's live verison of Lucky. I didn't see the post (will look later) but I'm really glad you get Frusciante. Which InMe album is it? I'm presuming it's their latest one Daydream Anonymous? I'm on a one woman mission to convert as many people to being InMe fans as I can! I just love them as Dave always manages to put a little twist in there and take the song somewhere unexpected. Like In Loving Memory where the chorus is different every time. And I could just run barefoot through his vocals and guitar work - he's so passionate an true with both. The old bass player left and Dave's brother Greg has really stepped up and brought a new energy both on recording and on stage. There's no justice in this world when InMe are little known and the hideous Coldplay are so huge. No accounting for public taste!

Speaking of which, I don't know what it is with HIM. I first heard them about 10 years back (yes, well before Bam) when they did a cover of Chris Isaak's Wicked Game and I thought "Who the hell are those freaks!" And that was it - they were under the skin from then on. I fought liking them for longer than I care to admit, but every time I heard them I liked them more. The last 3 albums I've hated when I first heard them, then I came back to them about 6 months later and totally love them. I can't stop playing Venus Doom right now but I thought it was total crap the first time I heard it. Then suddenly I got what was going on with the sonic heaviness and pop melodies. Also a lot of HIM's songs are wonderful when done acoustically, which for me is the mark of a well written song. I think it's like a Type O Negative thing - if you take them too seriously, you really don't get it. Also taking the lyrics too seriously or literally can spoil the experience. Don't be surprised if, like me, you end up loving them.

Alrighty, enough self indulgence from me to last a while, there. I think I'll go and annoy the neighbours with some of my godawful singing along with Ville Valo (he's vocally blessed, he can carry me). :grin:
Pirate Girl Wrote:Speaking of which, I don't know what it is with HIM. I first heard them about 10 years back (yes, well before Bam) when they did a cover of Chris Isaak's Wicked Game and I thought "Who the hell are those freaks!" And that was it - they were under the skin from then on. I fought liking them for longer than I care to admit, but every time I heard them I liked them more. The last 3 albums I've hated when I first heard them, then I came back to them about 6 months later and totally love them. I can't stop playing Venus Doom right now but I thought it was total crap the first time I heard it. Then suddenly I got what was going on with the sonic heaviness and pop melodies. Also a lot of HIM's songs are wonderful when done acoustically, which for me is the mark of a well written song. I think it's like a Type O Negative thing - if you take them too seriously, you really don't get it. Also taking the lyrics too seriously or literally can spoil the experience. Don't be surprised if, like me, you end up loving them.

Alrighty, enough self indulgence from me to last a while, there. I think I'll go and annoy the neighbours with some of my godawful singing along with Ville Valo (he's vocally blessed, he can carry me). :grin:

I'm not ashamed to say I'm a HIM fan but I haven't liked anything recently that they've put out.
Razorblade Romance is hands down my fav which I bought as an import b/c it was before they broke here.

Saw them in Philly (@ the TLA) on their first trip to the states and man where they a big letdown live, soooo boring.
The whole Bam crew was there in the balcony (even April and Phil)... which was more entertaing than the concert that followed.

Pirate Girl Wrote:I don't know what it is with HIM. I first heard them about 10 years back (yes, well before Bam) when they did a cover of Chris Isaak's Wicked Game and I thought "Who the hell are those freaks!"

Ok, I just YouTubed this. I had no idea the band is from Finland. I had no idea the lead singer is such a Jim Morrison look-alike. The cover kicks ass. The stripper? Does not. :-)

Nine Wrote:I'm not ashamed to say I'm a HIM fan . . .

I'm beginning to be ashamed that I'm a Live fan. I've not gotten to that point yet, but it's coming.

And I'm usually the stubborn type that doesn't care what people think of my musical taste , but Live is just a damn shame.
Just a note - I'm moving this thread to General Discussion since it's evolved into band discussions and steered away from Ours. I also suggest continue to post in the recommend/find new music thread Wink
Something tells me that Nine may be the only one who has even HEARD of these guys, but does anyone like Zeromancer? Their album ZZYZX is a good example of how capable they are as melody writers, especially for a band who used to be compared to bands like Orgy and the like. (Who I'm also a fan of... Confusedmile2: )

Zeromancer - "Erotic Saints" video...
Trathena Wrote:And I'm usually the stubborn type that doesn't care what people think of my musical taste , but Live is just a damn shame.

I dig some of Live's music, altho I would be lying if I didnd't say I thought I'd become a bigger fan of them than I did. They at times seem a bit like a one-trick pony.
I loved everything they did through The Distance to Here. I even like a few songs from V and from Birds of Pray (what a fucking annoying title!).

I don't hate Live. And I admit that, if not for knowing how talented and brilliant and downright poetic they can be, I'd not be so upset about Songs from Black Mountain. If not for the first four albums, I'd just judge the last three as fun pop that I wouldn't think of buying.

But they are so much better. And I keep buying their shit out of some sense of misplaced gratitude and loyalty because they were so influential to me in the mid-90s . . .

wait . . .

Change that to late-90s and Live are Jon Crosby. Huh.
Trathena Wrote:Ok, I just YouTubed this. I had no idea the band is from Finland. I had no idea the lead singer is such a Jim Morrison look-alike. The cover kicks ass. The stripper? Does not. :-)

I don't think she's meant to - I can't work out if she's about 50 or just a man. I never thought of Ville as looking like Jim Morrison, but I suppose he does a bit, apart from the green eyes. I've been staring at him for a decade so he just looks like Ville Valo to me. Here's a couple of him looking un-Morrison like.
A cover version on Billy Idol's
And a little acoustic number

I know what you mean about Live too. The have the odd breakthrough on the last couple of albums (Like I do & Night Of Nights). And then it's back to the same old coasting along trite bullshit. That's what makes it all the more sad as you catch a glimpse of that former absolute grace and glory they posess. And yes, I STILL keep buying the albums for the same reason as you.

And now I'm finally going to shut up before Fiasco! slaps me one for continuing to take the thread off at a tangent.