Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone listened to the new Chris Cornell stuff?
I'm a pretty big fan of his first solo record. It took a year or shelving it and coming back to it, to be in the right frame of mind for it.

His second has still yet to grown on me as much. Its good, but doesnt have as many "great" moments as his first record. I jsut love how it sounds sonically compared to his first...which sounded pretty sterile.

Now he's got new record coming out produced by Timbaland...

I admit it curiosity it piqued, but the stuff I've heard so far feels either very forced, or very "generic". Maybe its because I think most RnB/Hip Hop is over produced dreck nowadays (this coming from a guy who loves to overproduce things).

Still who know,s maybe when the record coes out, and I can listen to it in full, I might have a better appreciation for it...

anyone else have thoughts?
Loved Euphoria Morning. Heard the single off the second album and didn't bother as it was absolute generic cack.

[edit] Just to add I've this minute heard Long Gone. It's pants. Terrible in fact. It's actually embarrassing.
Chris Cornell is one of my favourites. I think "Euphoria Morning" is brilliant. But "Carry On" was disappointing and I barely listen to it. I was hoping he would redeem himself with the third album, but judging from what I've heard, I think I'm wrong.
Pirate, I cant wait til you hear "watch out" Smile

I applaud his will to do something new and different, but I'm trying pretty hard to not look at this new record as a very misguided attempt at staying relevant. I know he's been raving about the fact that the songs all intertwine and that the music is "endless", but to me that doesnt matter much if you want to skip the music in the first place. Again while I sound negative, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised when the record releases. I also have a feeling that the music played live will sound different and make for a going to a live show worthwhile.

Funny thing is, I love the melody on Long Gone's verses but the song itself feels really generic. The music and production sounds very cheeseball and uninspired tho.

Euphoria Morning has so much soul, which is why I'm so frustrated with the "sound" of its recording. There are some absolute Gems on that record. Its one of my biggest inspirations as a songwriter and anyone who's listened to it will hear its influence in my stuff. There was a time where that CD did not leave my player for months.
Euphoria Morning is amazing...

Carry On is not.

I have yet to hear anything new.
you can find a full version of long gone at this site

http://www.ryanseacrest.com/media/

tho I understand the dilemma one would go through at seeing that link.
this new song is lame. REALLY lame.

and here i thought audioslave being done would be a good thing for him!
ill have to listen when i get back from the uk.
bxdash Wrote:I applaud his will to do something new and different, but I'm trying pretty hard to not look at this new record as a very misguided attempt at staying relevant.

It feels like he's jumped on the nearest passing bandwagon, doesn't it. All good artists don't try to 'stay relevant'. They make music with passion from their heart and soul. Even his wonderful voice has had the enthusiasm drained out of it.
Pirate Girl Wrote:It feels like he's jumped on the nearest passing bandwagon, doesn't it. All good artists don't try to 'stay relevant'. They make music with passion from their heart and soul. Even his wonderful voice has had the enthusiasm drained out of it.

It's true, it makes me sad. It's just so obvious he's working towards getting a 'hit' song, and he just might lose a lot of his fans along the way.
I still am trying to reserve a full judgment here. I am trying to keep an open mind for the whole record, and look at it from different perspectives to atleast understand where he might be coming from. Whether its trying something new or trying to stay relevant, or jsut changing musical interests in general. I don't want to become one of hose fans that calls him a "chump" or "sell out" out of the gate. It doesnt mean I'm gonna like the album better personally, but maybe I'll look at it differently than if I just expected what *I* want to hear.

that said, spending lots of time behind mixers and working on multiple styles of music. It doesnt matter how open minded I am if there isnt something interesting to me on this record. Long gone is simple and stick in your head catchy, and might actually turn out to be a hit, but it bores me completely.

I know there will be tons of fans hating on this record for sure. What I'm more afraid of is the radio stations and general talk about the album is going to be like. There are going to be some REALLY harsh words from that scene I'm sure. I still feel like this should have been a "one off/experimental project" under a different name.

One things for sure, its either going to be career suicide, or a brilliant move. Vegas must love Chris.

I also do agree that his voice seems to have have a lack of enthusiasm. His voice tonally sounds great, but he sounds like he's singing in his sleep, especially in the chorus.

The production is just extremely weak IMO. Timbaland's best work to me, was back in the Missy Elliot days. He's got some pop chops when he lets loose too, but both Chris and Timbaland are hyping this up as the best work they've ever done, and after hearing what I've heard its starting to really sound just like that "hype".

I love Cornell and the first solo record, some amazing songs on there.
Carry On just sucked and I tried many times to listen to it and just gave up.

I'm a big fan of Timbaland's production, I think he has a great ear for beats and mixing.
But what I've heard of this collaboration w/ Cornell is just weak... and yes generic is a good word to describe it.
It's kinda something you would hear and ignore when it comes on the radio. Not something that stands out like most thing Cornell is involved with.
Euphoria Morning is beautiful and brilliant. I gave Carry On a fair chance and I simply could not get into it. I've listened to the new single off his third solo album and I feel it's over produced. I don't know if the collaboration with Timbaland was an attempt to appeal to a wider audience, if so, I think Cornell may succeed. However, I am a fan of Temple of the Dog and Soundgarden (not so much audioslave), and I think Cornell is deviating from his raw rock roots. I guess Mr. Vedder is the last one to stay true to his roots in some form.

Anyway, I don't know if people are aware that there is a Chris Cornell Unplugged in Sweden concert that's been floating around for a couple years. I just barely found it and was very pleased. If you don't have it, here is the link to where you can get it for free:

http://onediedsimply.blogspot.com/2006/1...-2006.html

Unbelievably, there are sites where they are charging you for it when it's a bootleg. Honestly...
I absolutely loved euphoria morning. That carry on album was album was awful. I couldn't even make it through the whole thing.
I was actually really excited when I heard Cornell was working with Timbaland, as that's exactly the kind of mix of two mad geniuses working together that could have produced something weird and awesome and amazing. I loved "Euphoria Morning." I love Timba's production, usually. And I love the idea of a rock artist trying to take back the dance floor.

The new material... I do not love. I kind of hate it, actually. It sounds as if Cornell got all of the leftover Timbaland tracks that didn't make it to other people albums, y'know? The songs aren't very strong to begin with, the lyrics are pretty bad (which usually doesn't bother me with this kind of music, but it does with Cornell), and it's all kind of... uninspired? Flat. Boring. It sounds like the two of them were forced to work together and just threw something together really quickly to get the hell away from each other.

Dammit. I wanted this to be awesome.
I agree. It sounds pretty flat. Like a bunch of demos/pre-pro of songs that want to be bigger than they are right now.

and the fucking 4 chord rock thing is killing me. Ever since people started heavily started using MIDI sequencers to write/produce songs, the 4 chord circular progression structure is what everyone does. Its basic and a bad habit to get into...

Hell *I* do it alot because I built the habit up. One of the things that I love about Euphoria Morning is the fact that it doesnt rely on that. There are so many great chord movments and modal changes, its refreshing to the ear.

I *LOVE* Preaching the End of the World, and Euphoria Morning, because they move around so much.

I know that its sor tof taboo in Dance/Pop but seriously, if you're gonna be taking risks with your rock side, the dance/pop side should be taking risks too.

It feels really like things met somewhere in the middle without the energy and freedom they have on there own respective sides.

Its new and "fresh", but sounds so uninspired to me Sad

Again tho, it migh all change when the album comes out. There might be a revalation!

It does however make me want to write a Dance/pop rock song just to see how it works Smile
So, I havent been keeping up with this record as much as I thought I would. Apparently it leaked earlier this month, and I listened to it today. I'm pretty disappointed. This is coming from someone with an open mind and who really appreciates alot of different types and styles of music. Tho I seem to be one of the types that long for more intelligent "pop/R&B".

This record just feels like it tries to hard to "meet in the middle" of the two artist's styles. Like the songs were written on an instrument, and then MIDIfied for demo purposes.. and then just layered with sounds/chopped up. The Transitions between songs feel like someone had a good idea but didnt know how to execute it correctly (or just went with the first idea they tried, instead of thinking it out and finding the best approach).

Neither Chris nor Timbaland seem to fully understand or embrace the others approach. It just feels like it falls flat.

This may completely have to do with my experience in making records, and the tools being used. I understand that the general public wont see it the same way, but I just feel very disappointed in the end result. It could have been, and should have been something phenomenal with the talent involved. But it just feels like it was a "fun experiment" with no real goal to be something groundbreaking... which is not a bad thing to say in its own right... but stop hyping it like its anything more than a neat/fun "side project" type thing. In side projects its ok for the end project to sound like parts of it were just "lazy".

I'll try again a few more times to listen, just because I understand its a jarring change in expectations... I may change my mind...
I think there are a few good tracks on the album, but I agree, it comes off as fischer-price-my-first-dance-record for the most part and it becomes VERY repetitive rather quickly. Some of the transitions from song to song are good but others are forced.
"fischer-price-my-first-dance-record"

thats exactly it!
Today @ National Record Store Day in Minneapolis @ The Electric Fetus

Me: Hey Chris, do you know Kevin Gilbert?

Chris Cornell: Yeah, why?

Me: Because nobody seems to know who he is.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Porcupine Tree Stuff SoundscapeMN 71 11,158 09-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Last Post: SoundscapeMN